if I text someone and they don't have a device that can receive text messages at that number, or they have texting blocked, is there a way to tell on my message screen? I just sent a text to someone and got a check mark and a "D" for delivered. does that, in and of itself mean that they have texting enabled on that phone?
    12-27-10 08:12 PM
    It they cannot receive text message, you should get a text back from your provider telling you that the number you're trying to contact does not receive texts and give you the option to leave the message as a voice mail (additional charge may apply).
    1812dave likes this.
    12-27-10 08:33 PM
    if I text someone and they don't have a device that can receive text messages at that number, or they have texting blocked, is there a way to tell on my message screen? I just sent a text to someone and got a check mark and a "D" for delivered. does that, in and of itself mean that they have texting enabled on that phone?
    What kind of basic texting are you using that also shows a "D" for delivered? I'm also on Verizon and use their texting on my Bold, but I only get a "D" when using a chat program like BBM. Would be nice to get a D on regular texts too.
    12-28-10 11:12 AM
    I also have a question for all of you out there!

What is the difference, and benefits thereof, of "packet switched" vs "circuit switched"?
    12-28-10 11:57 AM
    Ok, I looked up the difference and it seems somewhat complicated and in all reality would make little to no difference in the SMS world.
    12-28-10 12:12 PM
    What kind of basic texting are you using that also shows a "D" for delivered? I'm also on Verizon and use their texting on my Bold, but I only get a "D" when using a chat program like BBM. Would be nice to get a D on regular texts too.
    That's exactly what I was wondering... did you maybe send them a MMS and you have the delivery notification set?
    12-28-10 12:22 PM
    just SMS texting that's on my Storm2. I use it when I have to--meaning to reach a friend w/o a BB. the screen shows the same check mark and "D" as in BBM. it just doesn't go beyond that with a "R", as far as I know. I haven't heard from the respondent yet, so that's why I don't know if "R" is a function of SMS. I rarely use it. Now that I'm on FB, I'm doing more messaging there, but dang, reading a FB message thread on the BB is a nuisance--it doesn't seem to keep things in order. Either that, or I'm missing something.
    Last edited by dave1812; 12-28-10 at 12:32 PM.
    12-28-10 12:30 PM
    I've had BB's for a couple years, and I've never gotten a D from an SMS... Interesting...
    12-28-10 12:46 PM
    I've had BB's for a couple years, and I've never gotten a D from an SMS... Interesting...
    would u like a screen shot? it's on OS 1015, on my Storm.

oh wait, my touch can't do closeups with clarity, and i don't have an app on storm to do screenshots. sorry. trust me, there is a "D" on the SMS message (outgoing).

hang on, i took shot with my digicam. give me a few minutes.
    Last edited by dave1812; 12-28-10 at 12:52 PM.
    12-28-10 12:48 PM
    Oh I believe you!! I'm just saying that it's strange! I don't doubt your sincerity!!
    12-28-10 12:51 PM
    If I SMS another Verizon customer I get a D above the check mark. If I SMS a non verizon customer all I get is the check mark.
    12-28-10 01:00 PM
    If I SMS another Verizon customer I get a D above the check mark. If I SMS a non verizon customer all I get is the check mark.
    Interesting. Maybe it's somehow a feature on the Storm but not other BBs. I just checked this by texting my wife (on her Bold on VZW) and all I get is a check mark but no "D". And I've definitely texted other verizon users and never gotten anything but a check.

Sorry to sort of sidetrack the thread with this "D" or "check" issue, especially because I also don't have a definitive answer to the OP's question.
    12-28-10 02:06 PM
    real life took precedence over the image upload. pic coming in a few minutes...
    Last edited by dave1812; 12-28-10 at 02:18 PM.
    12-28-10 02:13 PM
    Interesting. Maybe it's somehow a feature on the Storm but not other BBs. I just checked this by texting my wife (on her Bold on VZW) and all I get is a check mark but no "D". And I've definitely texted other verizon users and never gotten anything but a check.

Sorry to sort of sidetrack the thread with this "D" or "check" issue, especially because I also don't have a definitive answer to the OP's question.
    It's not a Storm exclusive feature. Sometimes the D fails to appear, but I'd say 90% of the time (for me) it works.
    12-28-10 02:13 PM

How crazy is that! I txt my brother who uses VZW, but doesn't have a BB, and I get no D, and when I've txted my wife on her Tour, I get no D either... interesting...

Ok, so after further review, under Options>SMS Text there is a dropdown menu under Message Options where you can set a delivery report. It is defaulted to "off," but I just switched it to on, sent my brother a message, and lo and behold I get a D for delivered!! Crazyness!
    Last edited by elvin1983; 12-28-10 at 02:22 PM.
    12-28-10 02:19 PM
    How crazy is that! I txt my brother who uses VZW, but doesn't have a BB, and I get no D, and when I've txted my wife on her Tour, I get no D either... interesting...
    check the image i just added to my previous post.
    12-28-10 02:20 PM
    check the image i just added to my previous post.
    I did, I just edited my previous post.

Now, it looks like it only works for VZW SMS messaging, because I just sent a message to another contact who is not on VZW, and I get no D for delivered...
    12-28-10 02:24 PM

Now, it looks like it only works for VZW SMS messaging, because I just sent a message to another contact who is not on VZW, and I get no D for delivered...
    ah. I've not idea what carrier my recipient uses, but maybe she has Verizon and that's why I see the "D".
    12-28-10 02:41 PM
    That's the only thing that I can think of, I'll have to pay attention as I txt more people on different networks. To be honest, I do more BBM than SMS, but I'll have to pay attention to see if I get the D from other peoples networks or not...
    12-28-10 02:48 PM

yep, This is how my phone works. If I SMS a VZW user I get the D but I don't if I SMS a non VZW user.
    12-28-10 02:49 PM
    Saw the pic with the "D" -- thx for posting that. Changed my SMS Delivery Report to "On" -- thx for mentioning that.

So now I'm wondering what a "D" implies that a Check Mark does not. Does a Check only confirm that a Text made it out of your BB but not necessarily to the recipient's device, while a "D" confirms that the other person actually did receive it?
    1812dave likes this.
    12-28-10 02:52 PM
    Saw the pic with the "D" -- thx for posting that. Changed my SMS Delivery Report to "On" -- thx for mentioning that.

So now I'm wondering what a "D" implies that a Check Mark does not. Does a Check only confirm that a Text made it out of your BB but not necessarily to the recipient's device, while a "D" confirms that the other person actually did receive it?
    Yes, that's exactly what that means.
    12-28-10 03:05 PM

That is correct. The check mark signifies that your handset successfully sent the message, the D signifies that the message has successfully been delivered to the recipient's handset.
    12-28-10 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD