Most certainly doesn't matter. Just like Crackberry Kevin, just because this man has strong ties to BlackBerry doesn't mean people should go crazy if he ever decides to use a different device.

Posted via CB10
    Kris Simundson likes this.
    06-10-15 01:11 PM
    iPhone 3gs is the only iPhone for me
    06-10-15 01:37 PM
    It's not a big deal. Balsillie is like 75% of all BlackBerry users i.e he still uses a bbos device.

Those of us with bb10 are the weirdos there are only 7 million of us in the world.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 02:31 PM
    Jim probably does realize that 9900 is most likely the finest device Rim ever produced .
    06-10-15 02:45 PM
    He's just being quoted from the interviews done for the book. This isn't "news".
    06-10-15 02:45 PM
    Jim probably does realize that 9900 is most likely the finest device Rim ever produced .
    It sure is nice, but if I had a choice between the 9900 and the Classic, I'm going with the Classic

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 03:57 PM
    Hearing that the one of the founders of BlackBerry is using an older, obsolete model instead of the latest and greatest makes me curious as to what he doesn't like about the newest models, and what the older phone is doing right that the current gen isn't.

It's like hearing Steve Jobs is using an iPhone 3gs instead of a 6+. Pourquoi?

Posted via CB10
    Steve Jobs also used a BlackBerry. Not to many people know that.

Posted via CB.10 on my  Z10
    06-10-15 04:01 PM
    Hearing that the one of the founders of BlackBerry is using an older, obsolete model instead of the latest and greatest makes me curious as to what he doesn't like about the newest models, and what the older phone is doing right that the current gen isn't.

Posted via CB10
    It's hard to obtain the latest model when you've been dead a few years.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl, eldricho, fkornre and 3 others like this.
    06-10-15 04:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure Jim Can afford a passport if he wanted one .
    06-10-15 04:36 PM
    I wonder about whether the BB10 we know was the same BB10 Lazaridis and Balsillie left to Heins to finish. Remember the Dev Beta device Heins gave to all developers at BlackBerry DecCon in 2012? I feel like the Z10 was meant to be a shrunken version of the PlayBook with BB10 being a more complete (and phone capable) version of Tablet OS. If I recall correctly, I think more than a few people believed this to be true around the time as well. I think the story of RIM/BlackBerry from 2007 onwards is fascinating.

Anyway, I think it's poetic for Balsillie to still use his Bold. In fact, I'm glad he uses a device he loves and is happy with. You can bet that if I ever made something even as close to the brilliance of a BlackBerry, I'd never want to let go of it either.
    06-10-15 05:47 PM
    The man sticks to what he is proud that he greenlit. Don't think he ever liked BB10 that much tbh

Posted via CB10
    Genius!
    06-10-15 05:55 PM
    He's using a device last made in 2011...seems pretty poetic to me about the dramatic fall of Blackberry.
    06-10-15 06:14 PM
    Because he's not quite done beating Brick Breaker?

Honestly, it's a non-news to me. Many executives still use Bold's. It's still a great device for communication.
    Don't have the link to the Davos survey where it was very common for c-types to be using both Bolds and iPhones.

Personally, I think he's missing out on great productivity features in the BB10 ecosystem like attachments view, pinch filter, etc.
    06-10-15 06:43 PM
    The 9900 was RIMs Abbey Road. Of course he would have it. It's their life's work encompassed in this device. Not surprising really...is it?

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 07:06 PM
    I wonder about whether the BB10 we know was the same BB10 Lazaridis and Balsillie left to Heins to finish. Remember the Dev Beta device Heins gave to all developers at BlackBerry DecCon in 2012? I feel like the Z10 was meant to be a shrunken version of the PlayBook with BB10 being a more complete (and phone capable) version of Tablet OS. If I recall correctly, I think more than a few people believed this to be true around the time as well. I think the story of RIM/BlackBerry from 2007 onwards is fascinating.

Anyway, I think it's poetic for Balsillie to still use his Bold. In fact, I'm glad he uses a device he loves and is happy with. You can bet that if I ever made something even as close to the brilliance of a BlackBerry, I'd never want to let go of it either.
    The first QNX based BlackBerry smartphone was supposed to be the BlackBerry Colt. It later became the OG Dev Alpha and looked exactly like a shruken PlayBook.

I had the original Dev Alpha (along with the other two as well) and it did run BlackBerry 10, not the Tablet OS. The first versions of BB10 were still using the clone of the WebOS UI that was found on the PlayBook. Those phones were amazing back then. Actually, I wish I could downgrade a BB10 device today to the original BB10 versions just for the much better UI and better resource management.

The Dev Alpha had only 1GB of RAM yet it ran very fast and could do incredible multitasking. I used to show people all four angry birds games running at once in the background. The audio from each could be heard and the animations still played. You could have dozens of apps opened at once on the Dev Alpha while it was still running the WebOS clone UI.

Then...Nokia dropped MeeGo and went to Windows, BlackBerry being BlackBerry, they copied another recently killed off UI and then the Dev Alpha was updated to include a clone of the MeeGo Harmattan UI.

There was RAM issues on BB10 from the very first version of BB10 with the MeeGo UI. That first version still wasn't complete. There was no hub or phone calls, just BlackBerry's copy of the MeeGo UI. But that was enough to take the Dev Alpha from a multitasking powerhouse to a device that couldn't run more than 4 apps at once without significant slow downs and crashes.

I don't know who made the decision to switch from the clone of WebOs to the clone of MeeGo, but I wish BB10 had stayed the way it was originally intended to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mike and Jim felt the same way and it was TH who decided to copy MeeGo instead of sticking with copying WebOS.
    06-10-15 08:05 PM
    Seems to be a common thing among founders. They get to a certain point and say that's it we aren't changing or growing anymore. Then drive their business into the ground if they aren't forced out. My former boss couldn't deal with electronics in new equipment so he would rebuild the old ones or buy better used equipment till he retired. The new owner is now replacing obsolete equipment with new ones. The company is now making more money, jobs are being done faster, better quality and a lot easier.
    My cousin works for a glass company. The owner's dad started the company in the 50's, and he took over around 1980. They are still using a custom DOS-based accounting and inventory system from 1986, which, while "paid for", actually costs them a lot more money because everything has to be entered by hand and printed out - there is no support to get data in or out any other way. But the owner knows the system and likes it, and so spends whatever it takes to keep it going rather than upgrading to something new that he'd have to learn. Needless to say all the employees hate it, and it's horribly inefficient, but he's the owner and he gets what he wants.
    gravymonster likes this.
    06-10-15 08:37 PM
    The first QNX based BlackBerry smartphone was supposed to be the BlackBerry Colt. It later became the OG Dev Alpha and looked exactly like a shruken PlayBook.

I had the original Dev Alpha (along with the other two as well) and it did run BlackBerry 10, not the Tablet OS. The first versions of BB10 were still using the clone of the WebOS UI that was found on the PlayBook. Those phones were amazing back then. Actually, I wish I could downgrade a BB10 device today to the original BB10 versions just for the much better UI and better resource management.

The Dev Alpha had only 1GB of RAM yet it ran very fast and could do incredible multitasking. I used to show people all four angry birds games running at once in the background. The audio from each could be heard and the animations still played. You could have dozens of apps opened at once on the Dev Alpha while it was still running the WebOS clone UI.

Then...Nokia dropped MeeGo and went to Windows, BlackBerry being BlackBerry, they copied another recently killed off UI and then the Dev Alpha was updated to include a clone of the MeeGo Harmattan UI.

There was RAM issues on BB10 from the very first version of BB10 with the MeeGo UI. That first version still wasn't complete. There was no hub or phone calls, just BlackBerry's copy of the MeeGo UI. But that was enough to take the Dev Alpha from a multitasking powerhouse to a device that couldn't run more than 4 apps at once without significant slow downs and crashes.

I don't know who made the decision to switch from the clone of WebOs to the clone of MeeGo, but I wish BB10 had stayed the way it was originally intended to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mike and Jim felt the same way and it was TH who decided to copy MeeGo instead of sticking with copying WebOS.
    I never had a DevAlpha but I always wanted one. Tablet OS had so much potential and the possibility of it being completed and put on a phone was deeply exciting. If only BlackBerry had continued it.

My PlayBook seems to multitask better than my Z30 on 10.3.1. Apps crash constantly yet on my PlayBook (on Showcase mode) I can have 4-6 apps running simultaneously.

It's a shame that the first version of BB10 we saw at DevCon also didn't make it to market. Seems that the version of BB10 that eventually made it to market, while good, never lived up to the excitement its previews gave its fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Witmen likes this.
    06-10-15 10:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Except the 6 iOS looks feels the same and functions the same with incremental benefits. It never lost anything beneficial or sacrificed anything. Os7 is still a work powerhouse and for email, msg and calls... Far more efficient and to the point. I know more people who like os7 and I know no one that prefers bb10 except for the android app workout. That speaks volumes. I'm not talking 1 or 2 but several handful of people still clinging to bb. A bold 9700 to 9900 is still a very very very good phone and in so many ways better then a q or classic passport. You can't say an iPhone is better or more efficient then a iPhone6... Reason people don't upgrade like I sheep is simply because they don't make anything for people to upgrade to. The classic is a very good option but bb10 holds it back. Slap os8 interface with android portal on a classic and bang.. People would drop their os7 devices outside of 3rd world countries where data compression is still beneficial.

So stop making exaggerated and frankly false claims. I have a q and my gf wanted a classic in white but bb never launched in canada so a new battery for her used 9700 when the 9780 died and is getting on fine with a.mint 9700.. I would go back to 9900 but need 4g and the larger q screen is perfect for me and my pocket.. Passport two handed ness out of the question for me..classic if it had come out when I got my q I would have done but none, I prefer the smaller form factor to the pad and annoying lack of hangup key.. But since the call key is still poorly integrated in the os, no big loss yet.

If os8 came on classic ie bb10 skinned to look like os7, or the size of q10 with toolbelt ideally. I'd jump on it in a sec pay cash directly to bband not through carrier as would she, especially if it had a upgraded camera. Bb10 is soooo much more convoluted and way less task efficient for no reason, triple swipe hit 3 buttons Yadda Yadda crap.

He uses it like so many cause there isn't a better alternative out there. Period. Not to make a point but simply because he doesn't have a.better upgrade path. It meets all his needs and now with no updates, no frustrating slow downs and install app issues cause there are none. My gf hasn't had a battery pull issue in forever... The bold with a new battery just works flawlessly.
    Last edited by diehardbbuser; 06-10-15 at 11:42 PM.
    06-10-15 11:26 PM
    It's pretty cool that he still uses the 9900. It was the pinnacle of BlackBerry's design, probably the best device they ever made (aside from battery life). I recently hunted one down to use while traveling for a month and the thing was awesome. The phone did exactly what I wanted it to do, messaging, emails and calls. Straight business and nothing else. I know many people within my company who still use a BB 9900 and I was reminded why, it just gets the job done. Also it's not surprising to see why these people still carry a second device.
    06-10-15 11:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Your curiosity aside, it is still his choice.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 12:12 AM
    Except the 6 iOS looks feels the same and functions the same with incremental benefits. It never lost anything beneficial or sacrificed anything. Os7 is still a work powerhouse and for email, msg and calls... Far more efficient and to the point. I know more people who like os7 and I know no one that prefers bb10 except for the android app workout. That speaks volumes. I'm not talking 1 or 2 but several handful of people still clinging to bb. A bold 9700 to 9900 is still a very very very good phone and in so many ways better then a q or classic passport. You can't say an iPhone is better or more efficient then a iPhone6... Reason people don't upgrade like I sheep is simply because they don't make anything for people to upgrade to. The classic is a very good option but bb10 holds it back. Slap os8 interface with android portal on a classic and bang.. People would drop their os7 devices outside of 3rd world countries where data compression is still beneficial.

So stop making exaggerated and frankly false claims. I have a q and my gf wanted a classic in white but bb never launched in canada so a new battery for her used 9700 when the 9780 died and is getting on fine with a.mint 9700.. I would go back to 9900 but need 4g and the larger q screen is perfect for me and my pocket.. Passport two handed ness out of the question for me..classic if it had come out when I got my q I would have done but none, I prefer the smaller form factor to the pad and annoying lack of hangup key.. But since the call key is still poorly integrated in the os, no big loss yet.

If os8 came on classic ie bb10 skinned to look like os7, or the size of q10 with toolbelt ideally. I'd jump on it in a sec pay cash directly to bband not through carrier as would she, especially if it had a upgraded camera. Bb10 is soooo much more convoluted and way less task efficient for no reason, triple swipe hit 3 buttons Yadda Yadda crap.

He uses it like so many cause there isn't a better alternative out there. Period. Not to make a point but simply because he doesn't have a.better upgrade path. It meets all his needs and now with no updates, no frustrating slow downs and install app issues cause there are none. My gf hasn't had a battery pull issue in forever... The bold with a new battery just works flawlessly.
    Lol buddy - you tell me to not make exaggerated claims and then go on to say that people would instantly drop cash on some OS8 device and that BB10 is sooo convoluted. Right.

I guess the thing that I'm specifically curious about is what parts of the 9900/BBOS do people prefer over BB10? It's been a while since I've used my 9900 so it's hard for me to recall specifics, but at this point, I can't recall anything that my 9900 did that I prefer over my Q10. Sorry that's a lie. I miss the trackpad. And actually, I also miss the ability to switch between apps by using alt+back. But to me, those are minor compared to the hub (which I think is my fav part of BB10)

Posted via CB10
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    06-11-15 08:17 AM
    Lol buddy - you tell me to not make exaggerated claims and then go on to say that people would instantly drop cash on some OS8 device and that BB10 is sooo convoluted. Right.

I guess the thing that I'm specifically curious about is what parts of the 9900/BBOS do people prefer over BB10? It's been a while since I've used my 9900 so it's hard for me to recall specifics, but at this point, I can't recall anything that my 9900 did that I prefer over my Q10. Sorry that's a lie. I miss the trackpad. And actually, I also miss the ability to switch between apps by using alt+back. But to me, those are minor compared to the hub (which I think is my fav part of BB10)

Posted via CB10
    I bet you'd be in heaven with a Classic
    06-11-15 08:30 AM
    I bet you'd be in heaven with a Classic
    Wwowowowow.

Are you telling me the Classic has the ability to switch between apps via alt+back?!?!? I DID NOT KNOW THIS AND AM SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 08:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's been discussed at length, there does appear to be many paid posters here who try and slam bbos for no reason and refuse to accept for many like Jim it's still the best option out there.

That's one of the reason I hardly post anymore, crackberry seems to have become a bunch of paid posters hell bent on slamming all bbos users... What they don't get is slamming a bb user makes no sense as they'll most likely leave for android or iOS, what we need is a better bb10 rethink then these hidden small improvement releases with no change to a os that isn't being well adopted by the masses and extremely niche. Everytime a new update comes out I have to dig through threads and stupid number of threads to try figure what's changed, is it worth the update vs risk of instability slow down Yadda Yadda.
    Rather then laugh at JB, how about be pissed at Chen the bb10 is still essentially the same thing that TH launched and still not being accepted and not focusing on a rethink of it to make more universally appealing. They have 3 good in phones, still lack a killer all and a soon nice slider but still being adopting because of the bb10 failure and yet no evidence they are going to fix their biggest weakness, the bb10 user interface!!!!
    06-11-15 08:55 AM
    Most BlackBerry users are still using a legacy BBOS device....
    06-11-15 09:00 AM
124 1234 ...