This article was in the Globe today. Amongst other things, it talks about the phone he currently uses.

"Asked by an audience member which phone he uses, Balsillie proudly announced it�s still a BlackBerry Bold.

�I love it,� he said. �And you�ll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.� "

Assuming he means the 9900, is it odd that one of the founders of RIM is still on BBOS and not BB10? I loved the 9900, but my Q10 (and soon Classic) is way beyond the og BlackBerrys, even for messaging.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...service=mobile

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    06-10-15 09:04 AM
    They will take OS7.1 to the grave with them.
    06-10-15 09:10 AM
    Not surprising. Jim never believes in BB 10 the way Mike does.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 09:48 AM
    Not surprising. Jim never believes in BB 10 the way Mike does.

Posted via CB10
    Thorsten Heins invented BlackBerry 10 and Mike didn't agree with the Z10 and he wanted to keep with a Physical Keyboard and warned Thorsten that the market is overcrowded with all touch phones anyways.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 09:50 AM
    They will take OS7.1 to the grave with them.
    Well, it pretty much took them (and BlackBerry) to their grave.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 09:58 AM
    This is why BlackBerry is in the position it is right now, because the old regime were baffoons and couldn't grasp life beyond OS7

Posted via CB Z30
    techvisor likes this.
    06-10-15 10:00 AM
    Why should it matter? If he drives a classic older model car, is it also an issue? Give it a rest. People have the power of their own choices.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 10:03 AM
    Thorsten Heins invented BlackBerry 10 and Mike didn't agree with the Z10 and he wanted to keep with a Physical Keyboard and warned Thorsten that the market is overcrowded with all touch phones anyways.

Posted via CB10
    What????? Bb10 was in development years before Thorsten took over.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 10:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    I thought BlackBerry 10 was long in development before Heins took over...

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 10:56 AM
    BB10 was officially named when Thorsten took over
    But under Jim and Mike it was known as QNX, then PBOS (for the PlayBook)
    So essentially Mike was already developing the now BB10 OS before he left
    06-10-15 11:01 AM
    Why should it matter? If he drives a classic older model car, is it also an issue? Give it a rest. People have the power of their own choices.

Posted via CB10
    Hearing that the one of the founders of BlackBerry is using an older, obsolete model instead of the latest and greatest makes me curious as to what he doesn't like about the newest models, and what the older phone is doing right that the current gen isn't.

It's like hearing Steve Jobs is using an iPhone 3gs instead of a 6+. Pourquoi?

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:04 AM
    Well, it pretty much took them (and BlackBerry) to their grave.

Posted via CB10
    Laugh out loud

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:07 AM
    Hearing that the one of the founders of BlackBerry is using an older, obsolete model instead of the latest and greatest makes me curious as to what he doesn't like about the newest models, and what the older phone is doing right that the current gen isn't.

Posted via CB10
    Guys think about Jim's personality...he is a private, direct and efficient communications business man. Not an Instagram posting, game playing dude.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:13 AM
    From what I read here, he's got company.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-10-15 11:22 AM
    Seems to be a common thing among founders. They get to a certain point and say that's it we aren't changing or growing anymore. Then drive their business into the ground if they aren't forced out. My former boss couldn't deal with electronics in new equipment so he would rebuild the old ones or buy better used equipment till he retired. The new owner is now replacing obsolete equipment with new ones. The company is now making more money, jobs are being done faster, better quality and a lot easier.

Posted via CB10
    bp2k7 and jas1978 like this.
    06-10-15 11:23 AM
    Guys think about Jim's personality...he is a private, direct and efficient communications business man. Not an Instagram posting, game playing dude.

Posted via CB10
    So why can't he do all that on a Q10 or Passport or Classic? The new BlackBerrys have been touted as communications devices, so why stick with a 9900? Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. He probably doesn't use it for apps or social media and it is a great phone for email and phone calls. He just doesn't feel the need for the latest and greatest for the sake of appearances. OK, maybe he uses the weather app
    AllanQuatermain and BB-JAM215 like this.
    06-10-15 11:34 AM
    I LOVE my 9900... I had retired it (finally) when I fell madly in love with the Classic, but just recently I decided I missed it too much, I ended up shelving my S6 Edge and now am running my 9900 as my secondary... Aside from the 9000, the 9900 is STILL super sexy, and well-rounded in general... It's still a great device sans the prehistoric browser that now is beginning to show its' irrelevant nature in use, but still, it's a good device and BBOS still has its' lure in a way... If apps and browsing aren't your jam, that is...

Posted via CB10
    igor10000 likes this.
    06-10-15 12:07 PM
    Thorsten Heins invented BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    Thorsten brought BlackBerry 10 to market but it was Mike's baby.
    06-10-15 12:13 PM
    I thought BlackBerry 10 was long in development before Heins took over...

Posted via CB10
    It was. Thorsten just finished it off. Even the hardware (q10 and z10) were started under Mike

Thorsten's job was getting it to market. He didn't come into his role and suddenly create a new os
    06-10-15 12:16 PM
    What strikes me as odd, is why is Jim choosing to speak out now? The man has been silent for so long, why is it important for him to come to this "club" and have this speech. I'm not sure I understand the relevance. I understand them having John Tory, Donald Trump, Warren Buffet, etc. but why Jim? And why now?

I keep seeing the rehashing of the "rise and fall of Blackberry" article, so perhaps this is what has brought him out of the woodwork. Is this a chance for him to make some money? Or for him to defend himself and his actions?

Anyway, back to the topic. Him using a Bold, just like I think of his presence at this time, is irrelevant.
    06-10-15 12:18 PM
    I don't think that it's odd, given that Balsillie is no longer a part of the BlackBerry company. He'll always be part of the BlackBerry history, but he isn't part of the current BlackBerry environment.
    06-10-15 12:20 PM
    Who cares what he says or what he thinks.
    It is of no importance to anyone.
    06-10-15 12:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's his baby. Of course he would.

If you invented a phone and put it to market, would you not use it until you couldn't?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    06-10-15 12:21 PM
    What strikes me as odd, is why is Jim choosing to speak out now? The man has been silent for so long, why is it important for him to come to this "club" and have this speech. I'm not sure I understand the relevance. I understand them having John Tory, Donald Trump, Warren Buffet, etc. but why Jim? And why now?

I keep seeing the rehashing of the "rise and fall of Blackberry" article, so perhaps this is what has brought him out of the woodwork. Is this a chance for him to make some money? Or for him to defend himself and his actions?

Anyway, back to the topic. Him using a Bold, just like I think of his presence at this time, is irrelevant.
    Probably because he has thoroughly severed any connection of his to the company for some time. Obviously he's still emotionally attached to the company given his involvement as former Co CEO. In Losing the Signal, it is clear he never had any confidence in switching to QNX as base OS for the new system that would become BB 10, but obviously he played along due to the demand of his role in the company. He talked big on PlayBook and all that, but again, it's all just poker face.
    06-10-15 12:31 PM
124 123 ...