I know this seems quite obvious to do, but I've found urning off gps saves the most battery for me. I can barely make it a full day before charging with gps on, but I can go almost two days with it off. It saves a ton of battery when you're phone isn't in use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 06:10 PM
    I concur. Wen I first started loading apps on my bb it wouldn't last too long. Then when I read on here wat to do to extend battery life, I realized I was exiting the gps app th wrong way. The gps was tracking me everywhere I went, 24 /7 lol. Same with bluetooth, I shut it off

05-21-09 06:21 PM
    Huh? GPS has zero effect unless I am using an app. It's a receiver, not a transmitter.
    05-21-09 06:43 PM
    Yeah unless you have an app running the gps all the time, it shouldn't matter.
    05-21-09 06:45 PM
    I think the OP really means to turn off BB Maps or Google Maps. A lot of laypersons don't really grok the concept of "GPS is hardware, maps are software."
    05-21-09 06:51 PM
    I think the OP really means to turn off BB Maps or Google Maps. A lot of laypersons don't really grok the concept of "GPS is hardware, maps are software."
    So coming from what you'd probably consider a layuser if I close these applications when I'm done is that enough or should I be doing something else?

05-21-09 07:25 PM
    Corrent Broncosmom.

Just make sure the applications are closed and you'll be fine.
    05-21-09 07:29 PM
    Corrent Broncosmom.

Just make sure the applications are closed and you'll be fine.
    Thanks so much!

05-21-09 07:33 PM
    And I'll make my battery life thread appearance and state what I always do like a broken record. Try as much as possible to be connected to a Wi-Fi network, and that will save you some good battery life.
    05-21-09 07:44 PM
    What he said above me. Ditto.
    05-21-09 07:47 PM
    Agreed, except that if you need to use GPS when you also have wifi, you may have other issues.
    05-21-09 07:51 PM
    Agreed, except that if you need to use GPS when you also have wifi, you may have other issues.
    Hey sometimes I get lost around the house.
    05-21-09 07:55 PM
    Hey sometimes I get lost around the house.
    Yeah, me too.
    05-21-09 08:03 PM
    so what i get from what u guys are saying is that the actual 3G data is what kills the phone? i have my phone on 10% backlight and 10 second black out
    but today i had to charge it after like 7 hr.....bummer
    05-21-09 08:11 PM
    so what i get from what u guys are saying is that the actual 3G data is what kills the phone? i have my phone on 10% backlight and 10 second black out
    Not necessarily the 3G, but the struggle it might have in a weak 3G area. I get full 3G bars at work, but there is still a signifcant difference between having it like that or connected to Wi-Fi all day.
    05-21-09 08:12 PM
    Yeah unless you have an app running the gps all the time, it shouldn't matter.
    I thought so too. But I've done this with both my Bold and iPhone. I don't open any Maps applications at all, and still found my battery to drain faster when GPS is turned on. When it's turned off completely, my standby times are much better. Of course I haven't done any scientific experiments, but it's just something I've noticed.
    05-21-09 08:12 PM
    Well, not exactly. 3G may have something to do with it. What we were specifically talking about was that the GPS radio is not an issue, but using data such as maps would be a drain.
    05-21-09 08:13 PM
    Could be what you have running. Or could be your connection. My 3G connection is solid - no strain on the phone - and so my battery life is pretty good. Plus - all hail wifi!
    05-21-09 08:13 PM
    I thought so too. But I've done this with both my Bold and iPhone. I don't open any Maps applications at all, and still found my battery to drain faster when GPS is turned on. When it's turned off completely, my standby times are much better. Of course I haven't done any scientific experiments, but it's just something I've noticed.
    Yeah, sorry. I can't agree with that. They will use some power, but it's very passive.
    05-21-09 08:15 PM
    ok so let me expalin what i was doing today...i was in the back room at my job very low reception(reason 1 maybe) for like an hour. then while on the road i did some research with poynt(great app! reason 2?) as well as fallow up calls(3 in total lasting about 2-3 min) in reference to the research and last but not least on crackberry readying posts...oh and sms, not too much tho
    05-21-09 08:23 PM
    Yep, the bad reception will do it. The phone uses a lot of energy seeking out a 3G signal.
    05-21-09 08:25 PM
    so for reason 1 more then 2 and 3.....?
    05-21-09 08:34 PM
    so for reason 1 more then 2 and 3.....?
    Yep. I mean usage will use battery power more, but that was not what I would consider a lot of usage.
    05-21-09 08:36 PM
    ok thanks, so what do i do when i know im going to have low reception?
    05-21-09 08:38 PM
    ok thanks, so what do i do when i know im going to have low reception?
    I would hit the mute button on top of the phone and put it into standby. Those of us in the US cannot turn 3G off. Unless you debrand, and that's a whole other thread.
    05-21-09 08:43 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD