I tried to search but was unable to find anything related to what I need.
    this is regarding the backup process of DM v6, or any version for that matter.

I read that when you do a backup, it will save it as an IDP file correct? is that the only file being created? because I did see the balckberry folder and the backup file but never bothered to check other directories for other files IF they were copied from my device.

will my media files be saved in anyway during the backup?
    and can they be freely viewed in the computer?

OS of the computer is WinXP SP2. Desktop Manager 6. Device is a 9300.

thanks in advancefor those who can answer
    03-23-11 11:19 AM
    Desktop Manager will create a single .ipd file for each backup. It does not touch anything on your SD media card.
    03-23-11 12:28 PM
    I tried to search but was unable to find anything related to what I need.
    this is regarding the backup process of DM v6, or any version for that matter.

I read that when you do a backup, it will save it as an IDP file correct? is that the only file being created? because I did see the balckberry folder and the backup file but never bothered to check other directories for other files IF they were copied from my device.

will my media files be saved in anyway during the backup?
    and can they be freely viewed in the computer?

OS of the computer is WinXP SP2. Desktop Manager 6. Device is a 9300.

thanks in advancefor those who can answer
    As already answered by Trucky your backup will be saved as a single .ipd file and will not backup anything but your system files and actually when you do the backup you can read what is being backed up until it says "backup successful".
    What you see being backed up is it and NO you cannot readily view it on your computer, it is not a viewable file.
    03-23-11 07:11 PM
    As already answered by Trucky your backup will be saved as a single .ipd file and will not backup anything but your system files and actually when you do the backup you can read what is being backed up until it says "backup successful".
    What you see being backed up is it and NO you cannot readily view it on your computer, it is not a viewable file.

The backup, saved in the format of an .ipd file, was specifically designed by RIM and was never intended to viewed or accessed by the end user. I have read about programs that will read the .ipd files ans allow the end user to see the contents. Just not sure why someone would want to, but there are those that probably do.
    03-23-11 07:43 PM
    Something I've wondered about since I bought my BB, does the backup only backup apps? The file size on my backups are less than 1 MB.
    03-23-11 08:10 PM
    Something I've wondered about since I bought my BB, does the backup only backup apps? The file size on my backups are less than 1 MB.
    If you do your backup and watch as the lines go across doing the actual backup it will show you what is being backed up. It backs up system files(.cod) which makes up your apps, sounds, and other files as well as what you have saved including your OS and it's settings you have customized.
    03-24-11 09:43 AM
    Thanks, so it backs up the OS to? wow talk about compression!
    03-24-11 11:15 AM
    Thanks for the reply guys. If that is the case then I have encoutnered a wierd concern, because my wife saw the pics(took with the bb) that she asked me to upload..but i never did put them on the pc. All I did was the backup thing.
    Hmm..
    03-24-11 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD