As a current treo user looking to switch, this is kind of essential to me as I can't even begin to tell you the last time my treo saw a connection to the computer. Haven't memory cards been on BB's for awhile now? And I know I've seen quite a few threads on here about backing up at home in one way, shape or form. So how is it that this feature has been neglected?

I tried searching with the words backup and card as well as just backup. Didn't find anything. So I apologize if it's been covered somewhere, and I just missed it. Maybe it's not an issue to email-centric people where emails and such are backed up on servers, but for someone that's pda-centric, it's a bit on the important side. I think it's the only smartphone platform that can't backup to a memory card actually.
    08-31-07 10:45 PM
    I was just doing a similar search, and can find nothing. I'm a former Treo user and did exactly what you did -- I backed up on the fly onto my memory card. I NEVER plugged my Treo into my computer for backup purposes. If a restore had to be done, I used my memory card files to do it. Even backups were done automatically once a day, right onto my card, though I sometimes copied those files onto a desktop too in case my Treo was ever lost or stolen.

If there is a way of doing backups on the fly, I'd love to know. I'm not always going to be at my desktop, and if I'm using my laptop or away from home and my Blackberry crashes, I'm not sure what people do.

Help?
    06-08-08 12:26 AM
    Haven't memory cards been on BB's for awhile now?
    Not really.
    06-08-08 01:04 AM
    Only pictures, video, ringtones, and music can be stored on and accessed from the Media card with the native apps. (That's why it's called a Media Card.) You can use the Media Card like a usb disk to store other files with Mass storage mode, but you can't access those files from the blackberry without 3rd party software.

This will change with future OS releases. Docs-to-Go is coming to the Blackberry. It will use the Media Card.
    06-08-08 08:09 AM
    Only pictures, video, ringtones, and music can be stored on and accessed from the Media card with the native apps. (That's why it's called a Media Card.) You can use the Media Card like a usb disk to store other files with Mass storage mode, but you can't access those files from the blackberry without 3rd party software.

This will change with future OS releases. Docs-to-Go is coming to the Blackberry. It will use the Media Card.
    do you have a time frame for the OS update ?
    06-08-08 08:21 AM
    Sorry, no. It will depend on your carrier and your device. The OS that is supposed to include Docs-to-Go is OS4.5. You can read a lot about it in the forums. It has been in beta testing for a while, but nobody can say for sure when it will be released for a specific carrier/device, or exactly what features will be in the release. Your best bet is to keep watching here.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-08-08 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    06-08-08 08:28 AM
    Basically, this post in itself says a lot about the stability of the BB OS. I have found that A battery pull does the trick in 99.5 percent of any trouble cases. And in the event of some corruption issue(never experienced with BB but became very familiar with it on WM devices)- I use funambol to wirelessly sync my contacts, notes, tasks, etc and it is great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-08 08:58 AM
    As a current treo user looking to switch, this is kind of essential to me as I can't even begin to tell you the last time my treo saw a connection to the computer. Haven't memory cards been on BB's for awhile now? And I know I've seen quite a few threads on here about backing up at home in one way, shape or form. So how is it that this feature has been neglected?

I tried searching with the words backup and card as well as just backup. Didn't find anything. So I apologize if it's been covered somewhere, and I just missed it. Maybe it's not an issue to email-centric people where emails and such are backed up on servers, but for someone that's pda-centric, it's a bit on the important side. I think it's the only smartphone platform that can't backup to a memory card actually.
    As a recent Treo user who has used a Blackberry for a while, decide why you want to switch to a Blackberry. It may make sense to stick with what you have for several more months, at least until the "Bold" comes out on GSM, if that works for you. There are a LOT of things that aren't on a Blackberry that will frustrate the heck out of you. You can't download attachments in an email, for example, nor do you have anything like Docs to Go or ANY simple native PDF reader. No - I'm not kidding. It's true even thought it's hard to believe. There are virtually no document readers the way you are used to on the Palm and any Palm app that you liked to do so, e.g. Repligo, PDF readers, etc. are all subscription based, meaning you're going to pay a nice chunk of change per year. Backing up on an SD card... that's a distant thought compared to numerous other things you are used to on a Palm.

This isn't to say the BB is all crap but it's mostly an email device with a bunch of other things that are getting better over time. You will hear this repeatedly here about "but the next OS will have..." It may cook you dinner and do your dishes but it's still a ways away and not here today. IMHO the only device worth buying right now are the CDMA 8330 curves. If you're used to apps you'll be very frustrated with the current BBs, all of which suffer from the same memory deficiency as the pre-700p/750/755 Palms did for years.

Additionally, you'll hear excuses like the post before my post where you practically don't need this, that or backup because the Blackberry is just so stable. It is more stable than other phones but it's not like the Treo was unmanageable. It also comes at a price where applications cost a LOT more (like double the price) and are typically not as good as what you expect on the Palm. Yes, the situation is getting better but it's slowly. It's a very good solution for some people but for power users it is very expensive with add ons and set your expectations.

I'm glad to field more of your questions to decide if the switch right now is right for you. For me getting the 8330 made sense although at times, e.g. when I want to open a PDF natively and simply cannot, I am very frustrated with it.
    06-08-08 09:11 AM
    You can't download attachments in an email, for example, nor do you have anything like Docs to Go or ANY simple native PDF reader.
    Yes, you can download attachments in an email... I've done it. I've opened attachments, saved them, forwarded them... all from my BlackBerry with no special software.
    06-08-08 11:24 AM
    Not really.
    I had the 1st generation 8100 and it indeed had a sd micro card. What are you talking about sunkast. You need to start giving real advice, your not tech but you act like you are. Crackberry genius haha.
    Last edited by johnsmohr111; 06-08-08 at 11:41 AM.
    06-08-08 11:35 AM

I agree with jeffH.
    06-08-08 11:41 AM
    I had the 1st generation 8100 and it indeed had a sd micro card. What are you talking about sunkast. You need to start giving real advice, your not tech but you act like you are. Crackberry genius haha.
    Length of time is subjective. BlackBerrys have been around for a loooonnnnggg time. In relation the 8100 is relatively new.
    06-08-08 11:44 AM
    Length of time is subjective. BlackBerrys have been around for a loooonnnnggg time. In relation the 8100 is relatively new.
    True . I had older versions but again they didn't have sd micros cards in those days. That time your referring to is the stone age to me. I was selling RIMM stock in the late 90's when the co was just getting off the ground. Those day under $10 now $131
    Last edited by johnsmohr111; 06-08-08 at 12:14 PM.
    06-08-08 11:59 AM
    Yes, you can download attachments in an email... I've done it. I've opened attachments, saved them, forwarded them... all from my BlackBerry with no special software.
    Oh... so you've downloaded your attachments directly from your email... exactly how? In some convoluted fashion? By paying someone else to provide you with a service? And you've opened them from your SD card without any special software too... are you using a magical Blackberry?
    06-08-08 02:18 PM
    Oh... so you've downloaded your attachments directly from your email... exactly how? In some convoluted fashion? By paying someone else to provide you with a service? And you've opened them from your SD card without any special software too... are you using a magical Blackberry?
    Oh lordy...

Yes, I use the magical fairy that comes out of my @ss every so often.

Geez... Here are the instructions: Open an attachment

The instructions are a little different than how I do it... links to attachments show at the bottom of my email (no I am not referring to weblinks). I highlight the attachment, click my trackball, blackberry says it's downloading and then it opens. So far I have opened spreadsheets, word documents, text files, pictures. ALL without any extra software.
    06-08-08 02:56 PM
    Oh lordy...

Yes, I use the magical fairy that comes out of my @ss every so often.

Geez... Here are the instructions: Open an attachment

The instructions are a little different than how I do it... links to attachments show at the bottom of my email (no I am not referring to weblinks). I highlight the attachment, click my trackball, blackberry says it's downloading and then it opens. So far I have opened spreadsheets, word documents, text files, pictures. ALL without any extra software.
    How do i get one of those magical fairies?
    06-08-08 03:41 PM
    Because it's Sunday and I have nothing better to do... here is PROOF that attachments do EXIST on the BB.

Me clicking on the attachment

Me telling the BB to open the attachment

BB downloading the attachment

The attachment!

Of course, I am sure someone is going to say that these are photoshopped.
    06-08-08 03:55 PM
    Because it's Sunday and I have nothing better to do... here is PROOF that attachments do EXIST on the BB.

Of course, I am sure someone is going to say that these are photoshopped.
    Oh what the h3ll.... I'll say it.... these are photoshopped!!
    06-08-08 03:58 PM
    PROOF that the BlackBerry can open EMAILED MS Word documents...

06-08-08 04:08 PM
    Oh what the h3ll.... I'll say it.... these are photoshopped!!
    Yup
    06-08-08 04:10 PM

Your little flippant comment deserves one in reply. When you're talking to people whose device for years have been Palm, WM, or whatever- this "media" card you speak of wasnt the name used by us. No matter what its size, it was called an "SD" card. Thats why it's called a storage device. So I hope you forgive us for not have your inherited wisdom to now call it a MEDIA card. I mean, unless it's different for you, isn't that same MEDIA stored on the card?

Interesting though, when I bought my MEDIA card off eBay, I searched for a micro SD card!

Is it our fault that BB lack the ability to run programs directly from the SD card? Or that we were able to keep backups on the card- get a new phone, insert card, and Bamm! WOW! Imagine that- Up and running WITHOUT the need to go home and hook up to the PC. I mean, every Treo I had was able to.

I think some dont get that for a lot of exTreo users, when considering their most fundamental needs, the BB is a step backwards. The big question should be- can you live with that? I think slinky's post said it best.
    06-08-08 04:24 PM
    Yup
    Just messing w/U Banker- besides, U asked for it.
    06-08-08 04:26 PM
    Your little flippant comment deserves one in reply. When you're talking to people whose device for years have been Palm, WM, or whatever- this "media" card you speak of wasnt the name used by us. No matter what its size, it was called an "SD" card. Thats why it's called a storage device. So I hope you forgive us for not have your inherited wisdom to now call it a MEDIA card. I mean, unless it's different for you, isn't that same MEDIA stored on the card?

Interesting though, when I bought my MEDIA card off eBay, I searched for a micro SD card!...
    I didn't name it, Rim did. I was just as surprised as everybody else when I got mine. And yes, they're sold as microSD cards. Can't fault anybody for expecting it to be just a smaller SD card. But Rim is consistent in referring to them as Media cards. Not trying to be flip, just making the point.

I've been busy elsewhere and not watching this thread, but somebody seems to have misunderstood me. I never said you couldn't download attachments, view them, forward them, whatever. Of course you can. With the native software, nothing special needed. You just can't save them to the Media card and open and view them. Except for Text attachments. Those you can.

I apologize for having created some misunderstanding, however it happened.
    06-08-08 04:38 PM
    I didn't name it, Rim did. I was just as surprised as everybody else when I got mine. And yes, they're sold as microSD cards. Can't fault anybody for expecting it to be just a smaller SD card. But Rim is consistent in referring to them as Media cards. Not trying to be flip, just making the point.

I've been busy elsewhere and not watching this thread, but somebody seems to have misunderstood me. I never said you couldn't download attachments, view them, forward them, whatever. Of course you can. With the native software, nothing special needed. You just can't save them to the Media card and open and view them. Except for Text attachments. Those you can.

I apologize for having created some misunderstanding, however it happened.
    You didn't cause that misunderstanding regarding attachments... slinky kept complaining that you can't open email attachments and that it was stupid... blah blah blah. Then he basically called me a liar... so I decided to prove him/her wrong.
    06-08-08 04:50 PM
    You didn't cause that misunderstanding regarding attachments... slinky kept complaining that you can't open email attachments and that it was stupid... blah blah blah. Then he basically called me a liar... so I decided to prove him/her wrong.
    Banker... the only thing you've proven to all of us is your inability to read!!! Quite simply you cannot:

a) download attachments to your SD card
    b) open up documents natively, e.g. Docs to Go

I'm not sure that you comprehend the way a Blackberry operates either. Everyone knows you can use the BB viewer, but it's not actually downloading the native doc to your device and storing it there for later access or manipulation nor are you viewing the doc in its native form. If you were, then you'd be able to zoom in on a PDF with no loss in resolution instead of seeing an image that is blown up and looks like a poor excuse for a bad photo.

Here's what you need to do - get hold of a Palm or WM device that has an SD card and use Docs to Go, iSilo, QuickOffice, or another reader/editor. Then you'll be able to appreciate how unfortunately p-poor the Blackberry is as a mobile office. It just is that way right now and it's taken a lifetime and a half for RIM to play catchup. We'll finally be able to start playing in the arena in rudimentary fashion with 4.5, which cannot come fast enough for me.
    06-09-08 12:43 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD