1. T
    I backup my data for two reasons. The first is so that I can restore it to the same device if my data gets corrupted or the device gets wiped. The second is so that I still have all my data if my device is lost or stolen. My questions pertain to the second reason.

I use a device password and encryption. The media card's encryption mode is set for "security password." My understanding is as follows: if I lose my device and I get a new BlackBerry, I can plug the new BlackBerry in to my DM and transfer all my device and media card data to it so long as I have a backup file for each and so long as I use the same password (encryption key?) for the new device. Is the password the "key" for the encryption? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I want to make sure that I can load my data onto a new device if my current, password protected, content protection enabled device is lost or stolen.
    08-10-10 08:16 AM
    Good question! I'm interested in the responses as well.
    08-12-10 02:37 PM
    Since no one has answered, I guess I would suggest an experiment with the aid of either the carrier or a friend with a bb. Try it. Encrypt with a password on your bb. Move the card to another bb and see if you can get at the data by changing that 2nd bb's password or whatever you used for the encryption.

Hmmm. I don;t use a password and I'm not sure I want to attempt it but I still have my 8830 in storage.
    08-12-10 04:17 PM
  4. T
    Since no one has answered, I guess I would suggest an experiment with the aid of either the carrier or a friend with a bb. Try it. Encrypt with a password on your bb. Move the card to another bb and see if you can get at the data by changing that 2nd bb's password or whatever you used for the encryption.

Hmmm. I don;t use a password and I'm not sure I want to attempt it but I still have my 8830 in storage.
    That's a great idea. I don't know anyone whose BlackBerry I could try it in, but you mentioned the carrier; I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to ask if I can try down at the sprint store.
    08-12-10 08:31 PM
    Let us know what happens.
    08-12-10 08:43 PM
  6. T
    As soon as I get a chance ... unless someone else gets to it first!
    08-12-10 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD