Just thought i would give a friendly reminder to all those who havent already done so.

BACKUP YOUR PHONE!

I am constantly reading about people who have dropped their phone in their childs bath, lost their phone, fed it to the dog (accidentally of course) and many other really good excuses to why their phone is broken and all their info has been lost.

There are many ways to constantly have your phone backup and their all relatively easy!
    Here are just a few:
    Blackberry Desktop manager- By far the simplest method and really easy for everyone out there. Just download the Blackberry Desktop Manager software from blackberry install it and backup your phone.
    TIP- Email that little backup file to yourself and store it in your email., just in case your computer is stolen or decides it is no longer is your friend and rather die... YIKES!
    Google Sync- Pretty straight forward. Create a Gmail account if you havent already done so. (I recommend syncing with a new account because many times contacts with double and triple... Take it from me been there done that). Once the gmail account is created goto m.google.com/sync from your phones browser. Download the small app . Login. And adjust the preferences with google sync. (Your contacts should then sync automatically daily and will always be backed up.
    Mr. Number- This is a very nice app available directly from Blackberry Appworld. Once downloaded and set up. The program offers 2 very nice features. First off the issue at hand- It backs up your contacts! Second when someone calls you from a number that you do not have in your contacts. You ignore the call and then it attempts to get the persons caller ID name. The name then pops into your phone and you will know who called you. Check it out!
    Blackberry protect- Recently blackberry has released a free wireless backup solution which will backup all your contacts, calendar events, tasks, memos, browser bookmarks, and text messages wirelessly. You have a choice to allow it to backup daily, weekly, or monthly and can tell it to only backup when on wifi or wherever you are via your 3g connection. Simply get this amazing app by browsing to BlackBerry Protect from your phone and download the software via appworld. To track your phone or access your backed up info visit the same site from your pc and enjoy your sense of security!
    Backup Your BBM Contacts- Yes we all know that if you use Blackberry Desktop Manager it will backup everything including your BBM Contacts... But just as a precaution to make sure you have your BBM Contacts backed up automatically, Go into your BBM (think this may only work on BBm 5.0 or later) go into Options, Scroll Down to Backup and make sure that your BBm Contacts are being backed up via your email address.

TIP- I use Mr. Number and Google Sync both on the same phone just so i know its backed up... Plus i do frequent Desktop Manager Syncs.

Thats all for now.
    Just so you know i DO NOT work or advertise for any of the above companies. I am just offering some friendly advise.

Thanks,
    Jack

P.S. Feel free to Rate this posting by clicking "Rate Thread" on the upper right hand corner of this box.
    Last edited by movi3king; 05-23-11 at 01:24 AM.
    Guatiao and MrObvious like this.
    07-13-10 01:42 PM
    Good post and very good reminder.
    07-13-10 01:49 PM
    Excellent write-up!
    07-13-10 01:50 PM
    Excellent tips and if I may add just one more.

If you are using an app(s) that have the ability to backup their settings (BeWeather,
    QuickLaunch, UltimateLock, etc.) it is a good idea to make sure to use those also.
    It will save you all kinds of headaches should you ever need to reinstall them.
    07-13-10 01:57 PM
    to keep the contacts from doubling and tripling, via G-Sync, you need to turn off the native Google Addy sync.

manage email > google account > sync options and un-check contacts... it'll prevent that from happening.
    Guatiao likes this.
    07-13-10 02:09 PM
    Awesome reminder post!!!

BACK UP YOUR PHONE
    07-13-10 02:27 PM
    Good advise!
    07-13-10 02:49 PM
    Important advice! Thanks!
    07-13-10 03:27 PM
    Never hurts to reiterate this! Excellent post
    07-13-10 03:29 PM
    Excellent advice, and great reminder. I need to do a DM backup when I get home.
    07-13-10 03:37 PM
    Actually, now that I think about it, I have a question. I've used BBs for years but don't think I've ever really used the 'backup' option in DM. What I've done essentially is just routinely sync everything with Outlook (though now I've started using Google Sync instead).

What is the difference? Is it better to use the 'backup' button? Does it back up 3rd party apps too?
    07-13-10 03:53 PM
    Syncing only covers your tasks, notes, calendar and address book.
    Backup takes care of all of that and also backups up your settings, preferences,
    databases, messages, etc...

Backup does not cover third party apps but there is an app called BlackBerry Swiss
    Army Knife (BBSAK)
    that has that ability. This is run from your PC.
    07-13-10 03:57 PM
    Syncing only covers your tasks, notes, calendar and address book.
    Backup takes care of all of that and also backups up your settings, preferences,
    databases, messages, etc...

Backup does not cover third party apps but there is an app called BlackBerry Swiss
    Army Knife (BBSAK)
    that has that ability. This is run from your PC.
    OK, I understand. Thanks for the info! So I guess I should be doing both then....if I just used back-up then will I see the changes in Outlook or do I have to sync too?
    07-13-10 04:00 PM
    You have to sync also. Backup / Restore does not interface with Outlook at all.
    07-13-10 04:01 PM
    You have to sync also. Backup / Restore does not interface with Outlook at all.
    OK got it
    07-13-10 04:03 PM
    Great reminder! Nothing worse then losing contacts or data... Do you have or use he MIQ application to back everything up? Very easy way to always automatically have everything backed up on your computer!
    07-13-10 06:23 PM
    Excellent tips and if I may add just one more.

If you are using an app(s) that have the ability to backup their settings (BeWeather,
    QuickLaunch, UltimateLock, etc.) it is a good idea to make sure to use those also.
    It will save you all kinds of headaches should you ever need to reinstall them.
    Thanks I will def. look into these!

to keep the contacts from doubling and tripling, via G-Sync, you need to turn off the native Google Addy sync.

manage email > google account > sync options and un-check contacts... it'll prevent that from happening.
    Will give this a try as well... MY brother has avoided google sync out of fair of Doubles and triples...

Great reminder! Nothing worse then losing contacts or data... Do you have or use he MIQ application to back everything up? Very easy way to always automatically have everything backed up on your computer!
    Never heard of it. Will give it a look as well....

Thanks guys!!
    07-13-10 06:26 PM
    Maybe someone on here can help me, I am desperate at this point!!! Here is what happened: somehow/some way all of my contacts were erased yesterday. I went through several options with tech support and finally came to the conclusion that I would just have to use the desktop manager. I did a backup on desktop manager on 7/13, so no big deal right? Just a couple days of data lost. I hooked everything up, started the restore process. It took two hours and when it was done, I ended up with my contacts and NOTHING else. Even though it was set to backup EVERYTHING. Then I scrolled through my contacts and found maybe only 1/3 of them were actually restored. So...now what do I do???? I need the rest of my contacts and any of my other info if possible. I am hesitant to use desktop manager again, because of what just happened. Any ideas?? Anybody?? PLEASE :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-10 02:19 AM
    Hey ritaslayworth i am really sorry to hear about your loss of data.

I'm no pro but im going to try to be of some help.
    Basically the only thing that comes to mind that can be done in this situation is that you open up desktop manager, goto backup and restore, hit advanced.
    browse to your backup file and open it. Whatever is shown in the list to the left is what is in that backup file!
    how many contacts do you see under "Address Book- All"? Is it all of them or only the ones that you got back?

If everything is there then i would say that there is hope otherwise i fear the worst

Please let me know how this goes.
    07-16-10 03:38 AM
    We should all have a weekly reminder set in the calendar for backing up. This is one reason we have the calendar...you know.....to remind us of things......
    07-16-10 07:32 AM
    I will give a +1 for MiQ. I have used this free app and it works well. I like the fact that you can choose what items to sync/backup, such as texts, calls, pics, etc. I also try to do a DM and BBSAK backup at least once a week. That saved me once big-time.
    07-16-10 12:05 PM
    You don't need BBSAK to back-up your 3rd party apps. I don't have it and I have backed up mine just fine. There's a How-to Thread in the How-to section of these forums that gives excellent advice on how to backbup 3rd party apps.

OP, thanks for the reminder to backup.
    07-16-10 02:45 PM
    I think this deserves a bump
    12-27-10 12:56 AM
    To add to the OP's excellent post, I recommend that everyone also do periodic backups of their SD card contents. Mine gets backed-up every 2 weeks (I have a calendar reminder) but choose whatever interval you are comfortable with.
    12-27-10 09:26 AM
    bBACKUP will be coming soon to BlackBerry.

You will be able to backup over the air to your email and via scheduled backup, so you will never forget a backup.
    It even backs up Memos, Tasks, Calendar, Photos, Videos.

bBACKUP for BlackBerry®
    East86St likes this.
    12-27-10 09:33 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD