hi there, i have backed up my blackberry data onto my laptop (windows 7 )...
    but when i go into my documents and try and open, it tells me it cant open it and try web or choose a program to open,..............but which one?.

i see this...

then if i click on the 2nd, 4th, and 6th ones, i see this -

all im looking to do is back up my address book and messages, and be able to view them on my pc...

the blackberry is still connected to my laptop...

thanks.
    Last edited by dm4nn; 02-26-11 at 09:19 AM.
    02-26-11 08:56 AM
    Cause the file is readable by Desktop Manager and nothing by default in Windows. Why do you wnt to read the file or even open it?

Usually you back up and then restore through Desktop Manager
    02-26-11 09:03 AM
    Cause the file is readable by Desktop Manager and nothing by default in Windows. Why do you wnt to read the file or even open it?

Usually you back up and then restore through Desktop Manager
    thanks, what does that mean?..

well im looking to back up my text messages, contacts, but when i backed it all up, it said all backed up, but i cant see the messages...
    Last edited by dm4nn; 02-26-11 at 09:19 AM.
    02-26-11 09:05 AM
    All your text messages, contacts are all within the .ipd file. As long as when you selected back up, you backed up in full. (In DM6)
    02-26-11 09:30 AM
    All your text messages, contacts are all within the .ipd file. As long as when you selected back up, you backed up in full. (In DM6)
    thanks, but so if i need to view a message it would be hard to trace wouldn't it with all those files....it could be anywhere....
    02-26-11 09:41 AM
    If you want to view the file on your PC. Try ABC Amber
    ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter will convert IPD to CSV, PST, Excel, XLS, TXT
    02-26-11 09:45 AM
    If you want to view the file on your PC. Try ABC Amber
    ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter will convert IPD to CSV, PST, Excel, XLS, TXT
    thanks, so let me get this correct here,.....

i back up my data such as SMS and adress book etc, but even though they are backed up, i cannot see them unless i download something else what can open it?.

also how would i even know where the SMS message files are?....
    what are they named?.
    is it really this hard to just take a look at backed up SMS messages / address book with blackberry?.

i never saw this much issue with nokia...you could see everything right there.

thanks.
    Last edited by dm4nn; 02-26-11 at 10:20 AM.
    02-26-11 09:50 AM
    I have written a macro which will solve your problem. Macro runs on Windows and Excel. My services are free. The macro parses an IPD file and produces various text files / reports based on the DBs it detects on the IPD file. This macro WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM. Contact me and I will send the macro to you. If it does not meet your exact requirements, I will try to make it work for you. Macro contains no malware, adware or hidden. I am an independent, not a corporation. I wrote this macro for my own benefit and I continue to see other people needing the same things I needed. Incidentally, the macro is fully documented as well. When I write things like this and provide them free of charge, my daughter tells people it's a sign of a man with too much time on his hands ! rapanui21 AT yahoo DOT com
    05-26-11 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD