Hello,

Recently I've upgraded my pearl 8100 for from original OS 4.2 to 4.5.0.99. It works fine but there is a serious problem now. Every two hours the device connects to the internet. I don't know how, don't know what does it doing. Just return from an international trip and got extra $80 charge for the roaming data but didn't used it no single time, checked my recent usage today, same thing - every two hours is data connection.

GPS is turned off, google apps closed, AIM+ turned off, no other applications are installed. T-mobile c/s didn't help. Please help me to find what's go on?

Thanks.
    03-16-11 03:31 PM
    How come you didn't turn of the mobile network though? Relying on a smartphone not to try and connect to the internet for any reason isn't necessarily a reliable way to avoid charges.
    howarmat likes this.
    03-16-11 04:05 PM
    How come you didn't turn of the mobile network though? Relying on a smartphone not to try and connect to the internet for any reason isn't necessarily a reliable way to avoid charges.
    + 1. The only way to ensure that there is no connectivity, is for you to turn the connection off. This is the optimal thing to do when traveling outside of the country. I am not surprised that their C/S didn't help much.
    03-16-11 04:38 PM
    It's not a good advice, why to have BB if to keep it turned off? It's was not my first international travel, as always I've activated international email plan for messages only, never been any problem before. Again the problem occurred after OS upgrade.
    03-17-11 01:04 AM
    I am pretty sure that it has absolutely nothing to do with the OS upgrade. An OS won't make your phone roam internationally, and connect to the network. The only way to ensure that you do not receive international roaming charges is to eliminate the network connection.
    03-17-11 08:42 AM
    What programs do you have installed? I would guess you have something that is pulling data every other hour like Facebook, Twitter, weather app, etc.
    03-17-11 08:53 AM
    What programs do you have installed? I would guess you have something that is pulling data every other hour like Facebook, Twitter, weather app, etc.
    their first post states "no other apps are installed"
    03-17-11 08:58 AM
    It's not a good advice, why to have BB if to keep it turned off? It's was not my first international travel, as always I've activated international email plan for messages only, never been any problem before. Again the problem occurred after OS upgrade.
    Honestly, I would consider the global data plans when you travel. I was on vacation in the caribbean for a week back in August and prorated for the week, it only cost me about $7.

Then, my only other cost was if I took or made a call.
    03-17-11 09:45 AM
    So you only have:
    google apps
    AIM+

No App World, Facebook, Twitter or anything else that is starting to show in the base OS install?

Does Google Apps need to be open for the background syncing to take place?
    03-20-11 11:45 AM
    Yeah, and when you ask em if they are speaking on the phone and they say then you do a sub inactive and the line goes silent. That hasn't happened to anyone has it?
    03-20-11 02:50 PM
    So you only have:
    google apps
    AIM+

No App World, Facebook, Twitter or anything else that is starting to show in the base OS install?

Does Google Apps need to be open for the background syncing to take place?
    BIS Google sync happens with or without being open. IM+ will update if the connection is minimized but not if closed.
    03-20-11 02:52 PM
    Is there an app available that will show you what is running in the background on a BB?
    03-20-11 05:10 PM
    Is there an app available that will show you what is running in the background on a BB?
    Built into the Blackberry. Press and hold the menu button for about half a second. This will pop up a ribbon listing what is running. Messages, Browser, Home Screen, Blackberry Messenger and Phone will be listed, these can not be turned off. Anything else needs to be closed.
    Bren S. likes this.
    03-20-11 05:34 PM
    Thanks everybody for replies. Was not any data problem before an upgrade. And after updating new OS I've not install new software, all app are the same:
    browser
    gmail
    google maps
    google voice
    implus lite
    logic mail
    phone
    soft reset
    03-21-11 04:32 PM
    Apps might be the same, but if any of the apps are having connection errors or something similar and they poll, they will keep trying to connect.
    03-21-11 06:58 PM
    I would give your carrier 1 more try and ask to speak with a supervisor. Sometimes they will work with you on charges like this. The problem is, that THEY have to pay, no matter what so they will want something from you, BUT they might be willing to split it with you. Verizon will often do this, for this type of issue.
    03-21-11 08:34 PM
    Not that it helps now, but one thing to do is make sure "data while roaming" is disabled. You can enable it as needed, but it will keep your BB from connecting while out of the country. You can still receive calls and use wifi when set this way. It just keeps your BB from using the wireless data.
    03-21-11 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD