Hey guys,

Trying to help someone back up their contacts from their 8350i without using the "backup and restore" function, as their is something on this Berry that is very buggy, and it has followed her from her previous Berry. We are thinking that there may some software setting that is off, so, we are hoping for a "clean, fresh" start.

The one caveat - we have no Outlook to save her contacts. Is there a program that can be used to back up her contacts only so we can just reinstall them?

Thanks.
    01-26-10 10:21 AM
    The program that you need is Advanced Restore, part of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Advanced Restore allows you to open the back file and select the specific set of data to restore.

As long as you have a valid IPD file, your good.
    01-26-10 10:43 AM
    You can try and application called ZBook.

BlackBerry App World - Backup Contacts Wirelessly - ZBook
    01-26-10 11:43 AM
    you could also try idrivelite, or using the bbdtm, setting your sync settings to using yahoo. you will need a net connection, and log into yahoo before using that service, and make sure that you do not have any nicknames listed in yahoo contacts, that will really mess things up when you resync
    01-26-10 11:52 AM
    What I did was set up a new gmail acct. Then I downloaded Google sync to my phone to create a back up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 11:57 AM
    is very handy to have your contacts and Calendar backed up to, and you can update it anytime you want.

01-26-10 12:55 PM
    And, you can use Google Sync even without Outlook?
    01-26-10 02:25 PM
    Absolutely. I don't ever use Outlook. Haven't, either. But, being mobile 95% of the time, I don't take chances losing my Contacts.

01-26-10 02:33 PM
    get the google app, and then download google sync. ties it to your gmail account, and rocks my socks.
    01-26-10 06:08 PM
    Well, I uninstalled the Google Mobile App recently in favor of using the Google in the WAP browser toolbar. Granted that it doesn't save my searches or have voice function, but it's quite a bit faster.

OP, one of the advantages of Sync is it can integrate other Calendars, to boot. I've added US Holidays and Phases of the Moon also. There is quite a selection to choose from.

Last edited by BergerKing; 01-26-10 at 06:48 PM.
    01-26-10 06:44 PM
    So is the Google Sync beta still active. It seems now that all that is available is this site GooSync - Google Synchronization and it is expensive?
    01-28-10 10:43 AM
    WTF, you seemed to have found some knockoff site (I'm not clicking on it). Google = FREE!

Try this -> Google Sync for your phone
    01-28-10 10:27 PM
    Yep. Google Sync FTW. Wireless, can be automatic or manual, multiple calendars, contacts always available, etc. etc. No need for Outlook. I'm just now migrating from it.
    01-28-10 10:35 PM
    Re: Google Sync

I installed it yesterday. The results were not exactly perfect. I already had some simple contact info in Gmail-google. So I wound up with some extra entries for contacts.

But I don't see a lot of my Contacts' information on the Google end of things. I generally only see email addresses? Is there some setting I need? Some place to grab or sync street mail addresses, phonenumbers, etc? I'd like my BB to be primary but, of course, if it went down while I was away (from computer) then I'd want to re-sync from google to BB.

Are there more/better instructions on using google sync in this way?

Thanks in advance
    01-29-10 12:11 AM
    I had a similar problem when using google sync. Although after some more research GooSync is affiliated with Google, although its not free. I will stick with ZBook, it works great for me very low maintenance and if I need to make changes or add something its easy to do online.
    02-02-10 08:03 AM
    Hey guys,

She looked into Google Sync, and it was going to copy her Gmail contacts onto her BB, which she does NOT want. Apparently, she uses her Gmail for her business and does not want it to go into her personal.

Any other (free) thoughts? Thanks.

Jeremy
    02-03-10 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD