It's kind of like going back to that old college bar. There may be a new coat of varnish on the bar top, and there's a bunch of new faces sitting in your regular spot, but it's still the same place.

I just bought a Bold 9650 after spending a year with a Palm Pre, and I have to say that I am mightily impressed with the changes RIM has made to the BlackBerry OS. Still getting used to OS5- when I got my Pre I was installing leaked versions of 4.5 on my 8320, so it's good to see how far things have come.

Loving how BIS now syncs contacts with GMail accounts. I wasn't really looking forward to importing my contacts. Looks like I don't have to now. And I gotta say- the browser actually seems to work like a browser now. Very happy about this.

And as an added bonus, it looks like I'm not going to have to keep my new BB on a charger constantly just to make it through a phone call.

So, as you've likely guessed by now, no actual content to the post here. Just one big thumbs up to RIM.
    06-14-10 04:42 PM
    Glad this isnt another useless post on how RIM is "failing". Congrats and good luck with your Bold.
    06-14-10 04:50 PM
    Glad this isnt another useless post on how RIM is "failing". Congrats and good luck with your Bold.
    The competition in the mobile realm is rough, but RIM seems to be up to the challenge.

They would be a non-entity in a couple of years if they kept with how OS 4 worked, but they didn't. And from the sneak peeks of 6 that I've seen, I think RIM is soon going to be offering a line of smartphones that are performant, reliable, and offer all the modern amenities.
    06-14-10 04:57 PM
    Kinda cool to see something from the perspective of someone who has been away from the platform for a while.
    06-14-10 06:32 PM
    I too came from a Palm Pre to the Bold 9650. And while there are a few things that I miss, overall I believe the change is one for the better, especially looking ahead to BOS 6.0.

I'd really love to have an Amazon MP3 store on the Blackberry like the Pre does. And really, that's the only big thing that I miss. Berry popup takes the place of the message notifications from the Pre quite nicely.

Everything else that I miss will be taken care of in 6.0 (Better browser and media player). Though I could also wish for better IMAP & Gmail support.
    06-15-10 07:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD