Prior to my Z10 I was a GT-i9100 fanboi (SGS-II for the uninitiated). It was only stock for a week or two and then it got flashed to CM7... many roms later my better half now owns it (running CM11), set up to be easy to use w/ Apex Launcher and a bland theme/ui (wifey is so boring when it comes to ph's).

Now my Father-in-law has been given SGS-IV mini for Xmas ^^ he's tech illiterate - and I've been lending a hand in its use (i.e. How to answer a call [no kidding]).

I have just had a refresher course in why stock Samsung is so-o-o sh!te! Frickin thing is a nightmare to navigate/use/basically do anything!

May have to convince him to custom rom/kernel that puppy and unleash it's true potential 0_o

Z10STL100-2/10.2.2.1531
    01-01-15 08:51 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

Really....CTFD! Sent from my Z30 on .1949 w/ Tap-a-Talk. (*_~)
    01-01-15 09:00 PM
    Welcome and welcome back to others.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 06:37 AM
    Before smartphones there was something called a Personal Computer (also know as a PC). There were and are millions of apps for those old machines as well. Most people tended to have 40 or 50 apps on them. 40 of them came with the PC and the other 10 were installed by the user. Word processors, spreadsheets, a browser or two and maybe some hobby or business related applications. Yes they were called "applications".

The word "app" comes from the magic marketing that the all mighty Apple pushed when they brought out the iPhone. It was brilliant, people now realized they needed 100's of these things. There is an app for everything!

Now consumers are realizing that we don't use most of the apps we install. We forget they are there and just use the browser. Someday the browser will handle 90% of what apps can do. There will be no need for app developers to design and maintain apps for all these different platform. When that day comes BlackBerry will be on even footing with Apple, Google and Windows. Bring it on!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 08:29 AM
    Before smartphones there was something called a Personal Computer (also know as a PC). There were and are millions of apps for those old machines as well. Most people tended to have 40 or 50 apps on them. 40 of them came with the PC and the other 10 were installed by the user. Word processors, spreadsheets, a browser or two and maybe some hobby or business related applications. Yes they were called "applications".

The word "app" comes from the magic marketing that the all mighty Apple pushed when they brought out the iPhone. It was brilliant, people now realized they needed 100's of these things. There is an app for everything!

Now consumers are realizing that we don't use most of the apps we install. We forget they are there and just use the browser. Someday the browser will handle 90% of what apps can do. There will be no need for app developers to design and maintain apps for all these different platform. When that day comes BlackBerry will be on even footing with Apple, Google and Windows. Bring it on!

Posted via CB10
    It's a great sentiment, but remember, apps are not all vanity. Some do provide tangible value outside streamlining appearance... so much so that an app is infinitely more functional than the corresponding mobile website.

Also, an ecosystem goes far beyond just apps. As we become further ensconced in connected devices and IoT, one can clearly see where the competition (iOS and Android especially, bu MSFT is maneuvering shrewdly as well). Fitness tools, ODB accessories, connected appliance and more: one could say that he app craze help get us here.
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-02-15 08:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this. However, like the previous post said there are some apps that provide tangible use. Not the millions and millions that are on the App Store or Google Play.

That is what happened to me after using my s5 for 6 months. I realized I wasn't using or needed 95% of the apps that I had downloaded.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-02-15 09:06 AM
    I have dabbled with other android phones while still retaining my BB10 device and I never have found anything that works for me. I like the cool and flashy stuff that android and apple have to offer but after a day or two of downloading apps and games like crazy that I never play and a frustrating experience of using the virtual keyboards, I quickly remember why I love BB10 so much. Viva la BlackBerry! Welcome back!

Posted via CB10
    diego.roscetti likes this.
    01-02-15 11:52 PM
    Here is my story:

I always have my q5 and a ss s3 as a secondary phone (well the s3 is 3 years old now, and the q5 is 1 and a half)
    After buying the q5 I used it as the main device and besides the lack of native apps (android version of viber and line work just terrible), I found it absolutely productive. Fast, simple, easy and the keyboard is awesome. I rarely have to use my s3 again, only for some texts or phone calls
    Yesterday, when looking at the poor and dusty s3, I feel sorry for him, and decided to give him a chance. So I swapped the sim, setting up apps on s3 (that feeling of downloading 40 apps respectively...). The excitement is still there...
    However, it doesnt take me much longer than a day to miss the Q5. Firstly, I cant stand typing on glass... And android, even with all the glamorous display and specs, cant give me the flawless experience like in Q5. And the notification center just sucks.
    - email: when I received a bunch of email I dont want to read, in Q5 all I have to do is swipe up-right, long press on the date on hub, mark prior read. But in android, I have to mark each one individually... so frustrating. Same for texts
    - apps: I'm a multitask person, I switch tasks alot (yeah, when I'm writing this I am still emailing and texting with my SO, listening music...). BB10: writing comment - swipe up - choose whatsapp - swipe up right - emailing - swipe left - CB10. Android: writing comment - home - long press home - choose line - long press home - email - and back to CB10. The long-press thingy takes forever... and apps frequently freeze and restart themselves, makes me go arggggggggg.
    Still, I'm waiting for that classic. Productivity at its best

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 12:28 AM
    I have dabbled with other android phones while still retaining my BB10 device and I never have found anything that works for me. I like the cool and flashy stuff that android and apple have to offer but after a day or two of downloading apps and games like crazy that I never play and a frustrating experience of using the virtual keyboards, I quickly remember why I love BB10 so much. Viva la BlackBerry! Welcome back!

Posted via CB10
    Exactly the way I feel.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 06:11 AM
    Here is my story:

I always have my q5 and a ss s3 as a secondary phone (well the s3 is 3 years old now, and the q5 is 1 and a half)
    After buying the q5 I used it as the main device and besides the lack of native apps (android version of viber and line work just terrible), I found it absolutely productive. Fast, simple, easy and the keyboard is awesome. I rarely have to use my s3 again, only for some texts or phone calls
    Yesterday, when looking at the poor and dusty s3, I feel sorry for him, and decided to give him a chance. So I swapped the sim, setting up apps on s3 (that feeling of downloading 40 apps respectively...). The excitement is still there...
    However, it doesnt take me much longer than a day to miss the Q5. Firstly, I cant stand typing on glass... And android, even with all the glamorous display and specs, cant give me the flawless experience like in Q5. And the notification center just sucks.
    - email: when I received a bunch of email I dont want to read, in Q5 all I have to do is swipe up-right, long press on the date on hub, mark prior read. But in android, I have to mark each one individually... so frustrating. Same for texts
    - apps: I'm a multitask person, I switch tasks alot (yeah, when I'm writing this I am still emailing and texting with my SO, listening music...). BB10: writing comment - swipe up - choose whatsapp - swipe up right - emailing - swipe left - CB10. Android: writing comment - home - long press home - choose line - long press home - email - and back to CB10. The long-press thingy takes forever... and apps frequently freeze and restart themselves, makes me go arggggggggg.
    Still, I'm waiting for that classic. Productivity at its best

Posted via CB10
    I felt the same way downloading all those apps. Then the realization that they are never used.

Nothing is as productive as a BlackBerry is.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 06:13 AM
    I agree that not everyone needs apps but I do envy other platforms for having wearable options.

Sure, we can use the Pebble smart watch With the third party app but it is still not native support and we do not get all of the functionality.

I don't need a BlackBerry smartwatch, but I would like a watch that supports BlackBerry natively.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    Last edited by skstrials; 01-03-15 at 11:14 AM.
    01-03-15 09:56 AM
    I agree that not everyone needs apps for I do envy other platforms for having wearable options.

Sure, we can use the Pebble smart watch With the third party app but it is still not native support and we do not get all of the functionality.

I don't need a BlackBerry smartwatch, but I would like a watch that supports BlackBerry natively.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    I definitely agree with this. The unfortunate reality is that all of the watches require Google Services and Android Wear. Even iPhone users are left in the dust, which is where the iWatch will come into play for them. Since BB10 can't emulate Google services or Android Wear, I don't believe that someone could program an app for BB10 anyway. We either need a watch developed for BB10, or someone needs to find a way to get Android Wear to work for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 10:23 AM
    Someone should kickstarter a bb10 smart watch. With smart watches proliferating I bet a watch could be put together easy, just a menu of options to choose from the builder and pick a style. The pebble started that way.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 12:07 PM
    It would have to be a classy watch that, perhaps, has communication notifications and little else. Things that could help the business person.
    01-03-15 12:33 PM
    I have contemplated the idea before but I know nothing about making a watch or programming for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 12:37 PM
    I used a Fire Phone for two weeks and came back to my Z10. The Fire Phone stinks when it comes to communication. So happy to have my hub back! Just wish BlackBerry devices had better cameras.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 01:28 PM
    I use a Z10 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I'm not an app aficionado, really. I use apps that are conducive to my business. Why do I use 2 phones? Well, honestly, I get bored with one system after a while. I like to switch devices. I've been a BlackBerry user for many years and I have never, ever had a problem with any BlackBerry phone. I've had 7 or 8 different models starting with my 8100. However, I also enjoy my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 very much. I love the screen and just the whole way it operates. Again, I don't download a lot of apps, just what I need. All the apps that I don't need, I turn off if I'm able to.

I'm one of those who hopes that BlackBerry comes out with something comparable to the Note 3. I would enjoy that very much.

Personally, I will always be a BlackBerry fan. I don't see that changing. However, pretending that other phones are garbage is really unrealistic, in my not so humble opinion. In the end, I'll use what I want without a shred of caring what anyone thinks of my choices. Furthermore, I really could not care less what anyone else uses either. Freedom to choose what works for us is important. Of course, I've never liked iPhone. LOL! But I do like my iPad Air. LOL!

Posted via CrackBerry App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    01-03-15 03:14 PM
    I use a Z10 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I'm not an app aficionado, really. I use apps that are conducive to my business. Why do I use 2 phones? Well, honestly, I get bored with one system after a while. I like to switch devices. I've been a BlackBerry user for many years and I have never, ever had a problem with any BlackBerry phone. I've had 7 or 8 different models starting with my 8100. However, I also enjoy my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 very much. I love the screen and just the whole way it operates. Again, I don't download a lot of apps, just what I need. All the apps that I don't need, I turn off if I'm able to.

I'm one of those who hopes that BlackBerry comes out with something comparable to the Note 3. I would enjoy that very much.

Personally, I will always be a BlackBerry fan. I don't see that changing. However, pretending that other phones are garbage is really unrealistic, in my not so humble opinion. In the end, I'll use what I want without a shred of caring what anyone thinks of my choices. Furthermore, I really could not care less what anyone else uses either. Freedom to choose what works for us is important. Of course, I've never liked iPhone. LOL! But I do like my iPad Air. LOL!

Posted via CrackBerry App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Very well said and true.
    shaleem likes this.
    01-04-15 08:15 PM
    I noticed that the only time I use the apps I downloaded is when it's brought up in a conversation...pretty sad.
    01-05-15 07:07 AM
    I agree, it's always great to have options as related to apps. But, for the sake of battery life, I stopped using a lot of apps on my Z10. My Q10 is better. Now that I have a Z30, I only use what I really need. Again, options are a necessity.

Q10_OS >10.3.1.1154 / 1155 Radio
    01-05-15 10:43 AM
    I agree, it's always great to have options as related to apps. But, for the sake of battery life, I stopped using a lot of apps on my Z10. My Q10 is better. Now that I have a Z30, I only use what I really need. Again, options are a necessity.

Q10_OS >10.3.1.1154 / 1155 Radio
    This is another great point. Love having 2 solid days of battery life on my Passport as opposed to my s5.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 01:41 PM
    Love my Passport, so much that I sexed it up
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-i...fer?_mSplash=1

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 01:48 PM
    Yeah I have ended up using two phones. A Passport and an LG G2. Probably would just use the Passport if I could use it on Verizon.

Whenever I think about communications I am compelled to pick up the Passport. Whenever I need to use location mapping (Google Maps), Facebook, Gasbuddy, etc. I tend to grab the G2. Pretty much any specialized app I will grab the G2.

Though I did all my Christmas shopping this year on the Passport. The PKB made filling out forms a breeze.

Oh yeah, any time I am on the move and need to pull a phone from my pocket it tends to be the G2, because the Passport to me is a bit unwieldy one-handed. Tend to use it when I can dedicate two hands.

Both platforms have good and bad points for me. Pretty obvious I suppose.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-05-15 01:53 PM
48 12