Ok I am now in a quandary! I had used RIM devices for years going back to when they were truly nothing more than a pager. Not quite 2 years ago I decided to try something different so I migrated over to Android. Due to the ultra-fast development cycle of the manufacturers I found myself behind the curve (no pun intended) about every other week on phones and technology. HTC, LG and Motorola seem to be hitting the market literally every week with a new, faster, more powerful Android phone. Before you walk out of the carriers store your phone is outdated.

Now, flash forward to today. I gave my 11 year old my LG G2x Android phone and she loves it. I was due an upgrade at T-Mobile and took advantage of a new free, HTC Windows 7 phone the HTC Radar. I really wanted to try a Windows 7.5 phone and since it was free, it made a lot of sense. Well, basically that phone is for Teenagers who are gamers and play on the Xbox (like my 13 year old son), and, those who listen to a lot of music on their phone. The Radar has the Zune music player built in which is actually better than the iPhone or iTouch. Long and the short of it is that the Radar is simply not for me. So I am handing it over to my son and it will replace his Motorola Cliq XT.

So where do I go from here? Is it back to Android or back to Blackberry? I have been looking at the new Bold at T-Mobile and it looks like its possibly the best Blackberry to date. But what about RIM? It seems to me that they are going to get acquired by someone and the whole thing blown apart. I have read where they are looking at dumping the Blackberry OS and going to Android or some other OS. Granted, I fully understand that many feel RIM has lost a great deal of ground in the OS fight, but I am not so sure.

If you were me, which way would you go? Is it relatively safe to return to Blackberry and would my new Bold continue to be supported with updates to the OS or, is RIM simply holding on for dear life and I am better off getting back into the Android merry-go-round?
    01-01-12 09:05 AM
    I don have an crystal ball and can't tell ya what. Tomorrow holds. I can tell you about today though. Os7 is awsome. You won't be disappointed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-12 09:35 AM
    It seems like you want a BB. You didn't like the first phone because you felt it was too much for gamers. You didn't like the second phone because it was too media-centric feeling. And since you were looking at the 9900, then having a big screen doesn't matter to you. So it sounds like you want a basic call, text, and get email phone that's small. Sounds like a BB.
    01-01-12 09:42 AM
    I wouldn't worry about RIM, if you like the 9900 and it fits your needs then get it.
    01-01-12 09:45 AM
    RIM will not be taken over and the BlackBerry platform is here to stay. You are more than safe to buy a OS7 phone and you will still get updates.

Ignore the negative press. RIM are in profit. They gained subscribers. RIM is here to stay.
    01-01-12 09:46 AM
    Where did you read that RIM is dumping BBOS and loading Android?
    Also there is no talks about RIM going out of business or getting acquired. That said the BBOS is being replaced with the QNX based OS and will be called OS10. It will be out in the last quarter of 2012 or so RIM says.
    Since you seem to like BB, I would suggest that you buy the new Bold. Its a great phone. However since you are on a Blackberry Fan site the majority opinion would be for Blackberry.
    01-01-12 09:47 AM
    Its funny, I just bought a WP7 device the other day & am waiting for it to arrive. If I don't like it, I'll reactivate my berry.

I don't see rim switching to android. They have bought several small companies that they are hoping will bring them back to current times. They have a new OS coming "supposedly" this new year.
    They are definately behind the times even now for a few reasons
    -they don't have the variety of apps droid & ios do
    -they charge for almost all of them
    -they don't get the apps that are popular w/ the other 2 made for berrys
    -they're more concerned w/ the business side rather than the public/general consumer
    -20% of the pphone sales are for business, 80% are for personal use. Ignorantly, they're more focused on the 20 & have let the other guys reel in the 80%.
    Their product is a very good one, but they have the worst advertising ever. Apple has commercials that show you how great their phones are & the neat things they can do, and how they're better than other phones. RIM has a guy look at his berry, do nothing specific with it, then ride off on a TRON bicycle. It was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen for a new commercial

There's a "if I ran RIM" post on here somewhere
    My answer to that is that I would fire whoever is in charge of advertising, goto LA & have commercial made highlighting 1) wikitude & how cool it is, 2) how berrys are both business and pleasure, 3) show how many people in Hollywood carry berrys. Same type of thing apple did to make fun of MS.
    01-01-12 09:50 AM
    Well Window's phone is losing more market share than BB. It really depends on what you want. Androids are great but the battery is awful. But I would say they're very similar to the G2x phone so if it was too media centric for you, you might want to just go back to BB. RIM is going through a tough time right now, but they'll bounce back. They're not going bankrupt like everyone else is making it out to be.
    01-02-12 02:35 PM
    I wouldn't worry about RIM, if you like the 9900 and it fits your needs then get it.
    Agree! RIM is going down (obviously). But the 9900 was just what I needed at the time. So I bought it
    Happy happy happy
    01-02-12 03:58 PM
    As other stated, 9900 has everything you need! Best blackberry to date! Huge upgrade from my 9700 eh. Biggest shocked was from the browsing, it was so effortless and smooth and the keyboard

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-12 04:15 PM
    I was scared about buying a RIM phone as well. But then i thought, how many people are in the same position that i am. If we all jumped ship because of all the bad press then it truly would fail. I love my 9810. Soon after i bought a Playbook. In no way do i consider myself a fan boy. BB does 1 thing extremely well and that's email. I can type out a full email in mins. I'm glad i didn't buy an Android. I would be pumping out 10 min emails.
    01-02-12 04:22 PM
    Well, I just recently upgraded and had to make the hard decision between iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S 2, and BlackBerry Bold 9900. The Bold barely held off the Samsung. iPhone stopped being interesting as I played around with the other two.

My reasons? Well, for one thing, the 9900 has the best physical keyboard ever put on a phone. Since I use my phone for email and texting, having that QWERTY keypad is a huge plus. Secondly, I have the Playbook and the bridge function is extremely convenient and useful. Another thing: looks. Let's face it, the Bold 9900 is one well-dressed machine. I don't mind getting complements about how nice my phone looks.
    The Samsung has alot going for it too. I was tempted by the forward facing camera, the extremely snappy processor, and the multitude of Android apps-until the salesman admitted that he owns one and he's gotten viruses from the Android market.

At the end of the day, I must admit that the biggest determining factor was the ability to maintain the bridge function with the Playbook-I take that thing everywhere with me these days. If not for the Playbook I might be over at Android Central!
    01-02-12 05:23 PM
    RIM has over 70 million active customers that use it's service. No one's going to buy RIM and "blow that apart" any time soon. That would be absolutely foolish. Beyond foolish. RIM's services are what add a lot of value. That is unlike some other companies that sell hardware only. So an acquirer would be primarily concerned with how to keep and grow that base of users to keep that incoming services revenue. This would surely involve the use of BlackBerry devices no matter who owns RIM.
    01-02-12 05:49 PM
    At the end of the day, I must admit that the biggest determining factor was the ability to maintain the bridge function with the Playbook-I take that thing everywhere with me these days. If not for the Playbook I might be over at Android Central!
    Eh. Forget Android Central except as a passing news forum main page site. If you do ever go Android...hit up XDA. So much cool stuff your head will explode. And there's nothing cooler than heads exploding!
    01-02-12 05:58 PM
    I went back to BlackBerry from Android.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...kberry-660650/
    01-02-12 06:53 PM
    Android all the way. It does everything the blackberry does, plus some.
    01-02-12 07:05 PM
    Android all the way. It does everything the blackberry does, plus some.
    Everything BlackBerry does?
    Which Android OS, on which hardware offers data compression on the bulk of usage?
    Which Android OS and device offers a secured email share with a BlackBerry PlayBook?
    Which Android OS and device offers access to BBM? Saying they do everything and more would indicate one could access BBM which appart from user base in North America dwindling it still is the most useful IM app, if it wasn't more BlackBerry users would have moved to cross platform IM apps to communicate with their friend circles.

I'm not saying Android isn't great, but it doesn't do Everything a BlackBerry does, just like a BlackBerry doesn't do everything an Android can do
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-02-12 07:16 PM
    I'm not saying Android isn't great, but it doesn't do Everything a BlackBerry does, just like a BlackBerry doesn't do everything an Android can do
    Agreed. I dislike absolute statements like "Android/iPhone/BB/WM does everyhing better than..."

Now if you were to say "For me, I've found this device to better for my needs than X, Y, and Z device" then you have a good statement.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-03-12 10:10 AM
    You can make either work like the other. If you found yourself missing BB after you were with Android 6 months, I would switch back. If you were happy with Android, I would stay Android. I think it is preference and the way you use it. Data compression does not mean crap to me. It is all about how I use the phone.

I find myself missing things about both Android and BB with the iPhone, and I am sure if I go back, there are things I will miss about the iPhone.
    01-03-12 10:13 AM
    Yeah, I like a few things about each phone. Best thing to do is make a list of say your top there to five priorities in a smart phone.

Use that list as a guide to which platform better suits your top needs.
    01-03-12 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD