03-28-10 05:12 PM
45 12
tools
    I've used the android and now have the tour and my preference is blackberry just because of the messaging capabilities. Android is far behind in this compared to blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-10 06:38 PM
    Nice review.

Welcome back.
    03-11-10 06:58 PM
    No offense taken but might I offer a small suggestion that you ask me about my training or involvement with said device and OS. And anyone who has owned the device is entitled to provide their take on the device. I promise you though that I am well educated as I have been involved in app development for both iPhone and Android. While the 2.0 OS on the Droid works well without an app killer, rest assured a number of developers and everyday users utilize one and highly recommend it. Please though, I am not saying every person believes an app killer needed or even helpful. But this has been my experience. I am sure this matter could be a ping pong game but I refuse to be a part of it.

I would however like to say that I may or may not have had a defective Droid. Right now though, I am enjoying my Tour on Verizon and anxiously awaiting 5.0.

Glad to be back!
    Your right, I should have asked what you knew about Android. I'm sorry about that. Well, whatever works for you is what you should use. I have an Android phone, but I have a Curve as well. There's something about a Blackberry that keeps you coming back for more...
    03-11-10 11:24 PM
    My cell phone is my home phone, work phone, primary e-mail device, and organizer. Everything else is done on my MacBook Pro such as paying bills online and such. My needs are common for most smartphone users.

In the matter of six months I left VZW and an aging BB Curve for AT&T and iPhone 3GS and then moved back to VZW and a Moto Droid. Now I am (happily) back on a BB, this time a 9630 Tour.

I have here my evaluation of each device I have used over the past few months.

iPhone 3GS

Pros: The UI is incredibly fluid and intuitive with seamless connection between associated apps, both native and user-installed. Scrolling is fast with almost no lag. Colors are crisp and vivid with little pixilation. Touch screen is responsive and very accurate. Messaging is simple, efficient. App store is mighty and strong. Web browsing is very nice and Safari is a great browser. Music player strong as it is at its core an iPod. Lots of aftermarket gear.

Cons: Voice quality is mediocre at best. Touch screen gets old after awhile, especially when you work outdoors. Battery life is middle of the road. Solidly built device for someone who works at a desk or lives in a bubble. If you do anything outside, even walking, would be wise to invest in protective gear such as Otterbox. iTunes only. Battery not user-replaceable. Apple's proprietary nature.

Motorola Droid

Pros: Excellent screen with vivid colors. Excellent external speaker. Browser is the best I have used, probably the best on the market. Customizable UI which Apple cannot match right now. Loads of interesting apps in the Market, which is very nice as well. Google Maps with Navigation is best GPS out there.

Cons: Design and build quality sub-par. Keyboard is miserable. Touch screen unresponsive. UI has enormous amounts of lag. You need an app just to "kill" other apps running in background (Caveat: Linux does a great job of managing running apps but still poor overall). Battery life is horrible. Screen outside is unreadable. Poor call quality. E-mail service remains buggy. Inconsistent updates due to so many devices.

So far my Tour has been a huge improvement but still too new to give a complete overview. But I can say that my BB syncs with my Mac iTunes without any issue and that the display is brilliant and the keypad is a delight to use. Also it appears very durable but I still added an Otterbox case seeing as my job (Paramedic) means a lot of abuse could be had.

Hope this is somewhat informative. Please feel free to ask any questions.

DU
    Welcome back!!! Wow, I thought I was bad to VZW by opening second lines and closing them in order to get a new device but I see that I've met my match! I was wondering how you've been able to get all those phones in 6 months? Returning? Anyways, it was an excellent review. I've had the Tour since last August and I've been very happy with it. I've had an Iphone crave for a long time so since I didn't want to get Att, I decided to get a Droid and first problem I encountered were dropped calls all the time for 2 days straight. I don't know if you experienced this or know anything about this issue? Besides that, it was a great device that killed my Iphone crave. I still had to go back to my Tour and bring back the Droid. I have to say, BBs are kind of clumsy devices in some ways but have the best email,BBM,keyboards out there. If only they had an awesome browser and a killer app world, I think they could be a serious contender! Thanks for the review, it was really helpful!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-11-10 11:55 PM
    Thanks to the OP for this review. I too have had an iPhone, and actually two Android phones, but the 9700 works best for what I need out of a smartphone. Other people I know with iPhones look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I switched to BB...LOL

03-12-10 12:08 AM
    I pretty much agree with the OP's review.

Well done.
    03-12-10 12:09 AM
    What a great review. I love my BB Storm
    03-12-10 12:27 AM
    I couldnt agree more with your reviews i almost switched to either the icrap or droid but now that the great people at RIM fixed my little issue i'm bb fo life. The way i see it the iphone is a consumer who is into apps and browsing. the bb is for the business minded person who needs emails and clear calls more than apps. Too me all these phones a great it's just to whaever tickles your fancy i dont see why people bash each others phone i would rather bash carriers.
    03-13-10 12:38 AM
    I couldnt agree more with your reviews i almost switched to either the icrap or droid but now that the great people at RIM fixed my little issue i'm bb fo life. The way i see it the iphone is a consumer who is into apps and browsing. the bb is for the business minded person who needs emails and clear calls more than apps. Too me all these phones a great it's just to whaever tickles your fancy i dont see why people bash each others phone i would rather bash carriers.
    03-13-10 01:44 AM
    I have had one touchsceen phone after another and always end up back with my BB. New phones are always fun to use for about a month then you start to miss all those little things you take for granted that you can only get with a BB!
    03-13-10 03:43 PM
    I have had one touchsceen phone after another and always end up back with my BB. New phones are always fun to use for about a month then you start to miss all those little things you take for granted that you can only get with a BB!
    That is very true. Its the little things that keep you coming back for more. I haven't had a blackberry for a month now and I miss a lot of the little features it offers. I will be coming back to blackberry myself next year. Hopefully my Hero can stand in for now. By next year, there should be a new browser and blackberry devices will be complete.

03-14-10 05:04 AM
    My cell phone is my home phone, work phone, primary e-mail device, and organizer. Everything else is done on my MacBook Pro such as paying bills online and such. My needs are common for most smartphone users.

In the matter of six months I left VZW and an aging BB Curve for AT&T and iPhone 3GS and then moved back to VZW and a Moto Droid. Now I am (happily) back on a BB, this time a 9630 Tour.

I have here my evaluation of each device I have used over the past few months.

iPhone 3GS

Pros: The UI is incredibly fluid and intuitive with seamless connection between associated apps, both native and user-installed. Scrolling is fast with almost no lag. Colors are crisp and vivid with little pixilation. Touch screen is responsive and very accurate. Messaging is simple, efficient. App store is mighty and strong. Web browsing is very nice and Safari is a great browser. Music player strong as it is at its core an iPod. Lots of aftermarket gear.

Cons: Voice quality is mediocre at best. Touch screen gets old after awhile, especially when you work outdoors. Battery life is middle of the road. Solidly built device for someone who works at a desk or lives in a bubble. If you do anything outside, even walking, would be wise to invest in protective gear such as Otterbox. iTunes only. Battery not user-replaceable. Apple's proprietary nature.

Motorola Droid

Pros: Excellent screen with vivid colors. Excellent external speaker. Browser is the best I have used, probably the best on the market. Customizable UI which Apple cannot match right now. Loads of interesting apps in the Market, which is very nice as well. Google Maps with Navigation is best GPS out there.

Cons: Design and build quality sub-par. Keyboard is miserable. Touch screen unresponsive. UI has enormous amounts of lag. You need an app just to "kill" other apps running in background (Caveat: Linux does a great job of managing running apps but still poor overall). Battery life is horrible. Screen outside is unreadable. Poor call quality. E-mail service remains buggy. Inconsistent updates due to so many devices.

So far my Tour has been a huge improvement but still too new to give a complete overview. But I can say that my BB syncs with my Mac iTunes without any issue and that the display is brilliant and the keypad is a delight to use. Also it appears very durable but I still added an Otterbox case seeing as my job (Paramedic) means a lot of abuse could be had.

Hope this is somewhat informative. Please feel free to ask any questions.

DU
    Welcome back. I love these type of stories.

03-14-10 12:16 PM
    my buddy at work has a Droid and I gotta tell ya, the think is a Brick!! it is so heavy.. i live my BB and would never go to a Droid or iphone. I went away from my Bold for a few months and now i am back!! I would never want anything other than a blackberry...
    03-14-10 02:31 PM
    my buddy at work has a Droid and I gotta tell ya, the think is a Brick!! it is so heavy.. i live my BB and would never go to a Droid or iphone. I went away from my Bold for a few months and now i am back!! I would never want anything other than a blackberry...
    Never say never. I once believed as you do. However , I found myself wanting more multimedia capabilities. Smartphone today offer so much in the department of multimedia, it was hard not to switch. Eventually I did - several times. I have always loved Blackberry devices, but there are thibgs left to be desired.

03-15-10 01:41 AM
    I am thrilled so many of you enjoyed my review and even more thrilled that you found them helpful. If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Now that I have had my Blackberry Tour 9630 for a bit, I think it would be an opportune time to review the device.

Blackberry Tour 9630

Pros: Excellent QWERTY keyboard with solid keystrokes. Device is solid and well-built. Battery life even with heavy use is outstanding. Attractive display both indoors and outdoors. Media player above average and easily syncs with Mac OS X. Call quality is phenomenal. Strong speakerphone. E-mail access and set-up simple and direct. BBM just a nifty little toy that is fun to use. Compared with previous BB devices, fewer resets needed so that is a major plus. OS is improved, not too bad at all.

Cons: OS is better than previous releases but still outdated and behind the times (see note at bottom for more on OS). Camera is grainy at times, higher MP would be nice. UI is not very intuitive when compared to iPhone, but better than the Droid. Trackball is not precise and somewhat outdated, but trackpad on 9650 is a good step. In the same vein, no Wi-Fi but that is more of Verizon's doing. App store lacks depth. Native browser is not bad but still not up to current standards.

Note on OS:
    I see a significant gap between the OS used on the Droid and iPhone and that used by RIM. While BB has been heavily utilized by the business market, times have changed and evolution is necessary. After all, it is survival of the fittest. RIM should consider the development of an OS with non-business users in mind. Many users of BB are now young adults 18-35 with their device being their main, possibly only, phone and portable media player. My thoughts would be to develop a more intuitive, user-friendly UI. Now what this includes is subjective and differs from user to user but it appears to be generally agreed upon that a new UI would be a very good move. BB may hold a large share of the smartphone market but if RIM does not step up their game they may begin to see a dynamic shift. They should keep their excellent keyboards and solid designs as they work well for those who are hard on their phones and prefer real keys as opposed to virtual ones. I think RIM has the right idea with WebKit and the upcoming Slider BB. But there is still plenty of room to grow, to evolve. Hopefully 6.0 will be the start of a new era that will propel consumers to strongly consider and even purchase these reliable devices. But if 6.0 is only another tweaking of an already tired OS, then RIM could suddenly see themselves becoming the next Palm. Here's to hoping for evolution.

Once again, please PM me with any specific questions you may have. I would be glad to give an honest and detailed answer.

Until next time,
    DU
    03-15-10 09:53 PM
    Great review! I'm not blind to the faults of the BB, but overall can't see anything else worth switching to
    03-15-10 10:09 PM
    [QUOTE=Duvi;4816949]I don't mind this review at all... love it actually. You actually owned and used the device. Quite a few have used "a friend's" device... lol.

I'm wondering if your opinion would have been the same about the Google phone (Nexus 1). IMHO, the Droid is powerful, but horrible design. Some like it, but I dislike it with a passion.

I would wonder the same thing?? The Droid is a brick and the landscape keyboard is absolutely horrible. I really like the Nexus One, in all the reviews up against the iPhone it blows it away in terms of speed and seems to have a lot more capabilities with multi-tasking and other features. While it's not on the Nexus One, the Moto Phone Portal that is on the Devour is a really cool idea that I would love on a BB. I also think it could really be put to use especially with the business market BB is in. I would love to not have to pick my phone up all day and just control it from my computer, with other things like BBM and stuff, obviously email is right at my comp. I'm sure it would be a battery killer since it's wi-fi but still cool.

Anyway, I think the problem is too many people just want the COOL new phone and since the Droid is that right now on Verizon people just get it cause it's the cool thing right now. While I haven't had much experience with the Droid except for messing with it at the store several times. A few of my friends have fallen into the cool trap and wind up handing me the phone saying how cool it is only to ask me if I can figure out how to use it cause they can't.
    Obviously the Blackberry will always have it's place I believe. When the Nexus One comes to Verizon I'm going to take a serious look at it thou. That is unless I'm WOWED in April at CES by the Storm 3 with a webkit browser, new OS, LTE, 6MP Cam, and hopefully some other cool feature or thing about it. However, will I really be able to wait till next Nov for it since I'm still rocking a S1. Guess it depends on how much I'm WOWED with the things listed above....
    03-15-10 11:10 PM
    Good review, but your battery comments seem a bit off to me about the droid. While it's no star by a longshot being outright terrible has me intruiged to ask what you were doing lol.

03-15-10 11:13 PM
    Good review. Agree with most of those pros and cons, but never had an iphone so I havent had experience with it.
    03-15-10 11:28 PM
    Woaw, I've been out these forums for more than a year now. BlackBerry changed a lot, but Crackbery Forum looks exactly the same.

Last year I ditched my Pearl 8120 hoping to get a Pr, but it will be available in France only April 2010, so I chose an Android phone instead, a Samsung Galaxy.

Now, after hard hesitating with the Pr plus, I finally ordered a Bold 9700. Hoping to have it on friday. I asked people on Twitter what to do, and I tonight I'm proud to be back on the BlackBerry.

I was tired on these raging wars between iPhones and Android phones, which all look the same, neglecting keyboards and speed in the name of those 90% stupid apps. Sure their browsers are excellent, and I sure will miss it, but nobody use them anyway, always lauching some app instead.

Now I'm on BlackBerry, and as a good friend of mine repeated a lot, once you go Black, you always come back.
    03-28-10 05:12 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD