03-28-10 04:12 PM
45 12
tools
    My cell phone is my home phone, work phone, primary e-mail device, and organizer. Everything else is done on my MacBook Pro such as paying bills online and such. My needs are common for most smartphone users.

In the matter of six months I left VZW and an aging BB Curve for AT&T and iPhone 3GS and then moved back to VZW and a Moto Droid. Now I am (happily) back on a BB, this time a 9630 Tour.

I have here my evaluation of each device I have used over the past few months.

iPhone 3GS

Pros: The UI is incredibly fluid and intuitive with seamless connection between associated apps, both native and user-installed. Scrolling is fast with almost no lag. Colors are crisp and vivid with little pixilation. Touch screen is responsive and very accurate. Messaging is simple, efficient. App store is mighty and strong. Web browsing is very nice and Safari is a great browser. Music player strong as it is at its core an iPod. Lots of aftermarket gear.

Cons: Voice quality is mediocre at best. Touch screen gets old after awhile, especially when you work outdoors. Battery life is middle of the road. Solidly built device for someone who works at a desk or lives in a bubble. If you do anything outside, even walking, would be wise to invest in protective gear such as Otterbox. iTunes only. Battery not user-replaceable. Apple's proprietary nature.

Motorola Droid

Pros: Excellent screen with vivid colors. Excellent external speaker. Browser is the best I have used, probably the best on the market. Customizable UI which Apple cannot match right now. Loads of interesting apps in the Market, which is very nice as well. Google Maps with Navigation is best GPS out there.

Cons: Design and build quality sub-par. Keyboard is miserable. Touch screen unresponsive. UI has enormous amounts of lag. You need an app just to "kill" other apps running in background (Caveat: Linux does a great job of managing running apps but still poor overall). Battery life is horrible. Screen outside is unreadable. Poor call quality. E-mail service remains buggy. Inconsistent updates due to so many devices.

So far my Tour has been a huge improvement but still too new to give a complete overview. But I can say that my BB syncs with my Mac iTunes without any issue and that the display is brilliant and the keypad is a delight to use. Also it appears very durable but I still added an Otterbox case seeing as my job (Paramedic) means a lot of abuse could be had.

Hope this is somewhat informative. Please feel free to ask any questions.

DU
    03-11-10 12:15 AM
    Welcome back jack
    03-11-10 12:36 AM
    Thumbs up :-)

I don't like android!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-10 06:45 AM
    i have a tour, and i was actually considering switching to a droid eris at my next upgrade. but maybe not.

any thoughts on the eris?
    03-11-10 08:23 AM
    I have a Tour for work and a personal iPhone, but I have to agree that if I needed one device for both work and play I'd probably choose the Tour becuase of BES integration.
    03-11-10 08:52 AM
    Great to have you back, man! I absolutely love the Tour. It is the best phone I have ever had, hands down! I have an iPod touch and its fun to have, but like you said the touch screen can get old after awhile. But the browser is awesome and the music/video players are great. Its a good entertainment phone to keep me from being bored sometimes lol. But I love my blackberry!
    03-11-10 09:14 AM
    The browser and some of the apps are the only iphone envy I have. I tried sending a text on my friends iphone and can't imagine firing off emails with anything other then frustration. The tour is great for me, can't wait for my upgrade to see what's next!

D

Web kit browser soon I hope!

03-11-10 09:45 AM
    Thanks for the reviews. This will be helpful as I struggle with my upgrade decision in a month or so.
    03-11-10 10:07 AM
    There were a few times I wanted to switch to an Iphone just to experience it...good thing I never did...I know I would have regretted it.
    Its hard not wanting to use the newest gadgets out there.
    I just keep with the storm every time a new one comes out. Can't wait to see what the next one will be like.

03-11-10 10:24 AM
    Great reviews! I've recently wanted to go check out both of those phones, and reading this made me realize I'm fine right where I am. Thanks!
    03-11-10 10:42 AM
    Awesome reviews, I know a few people who have the iPhone 3gs and they said the same about call quality being horrible. Only reason they're still with it is because they can't afford etf
    03-11-10 11:35 AM
    Great Review,, exactly what I have heard from others... I Just Ordered My Storm 2 yesterday and I hope it is all that I have read and heard abour..
    03-11-10 11:46 AM
    welcome back home
    03-11-10 11:49 AM
    glad to see you back!
    03-11-10 11:50 AM
    BB is a great phone. I switched to a iphone for a year and came back to BB.

Left the 8100 for a iphone, then left iphone for a 8900 and now rockin a 9700. I doubt I'll leave BB ever again unless the new Symbian is killer, but I doubt it.
    03-11-10 11:52 AM
    Thank you for mentioning the poor call quality. I said that on another post and someone said I was exaggerating and stopped short of calling me a liar.

I had the 3GS 32G for just under one month and returned.

Agree on the browser - incomparable. Agree on the fact that it's not user friendly for extreme environments.
    03-11-10 12:28 PM
    Great review and thoughtful insight. Thanks for sharing.

I'm trying to convince someone to leave Droid and get back where they belong on BB. Wish me luck. No BBM is a killer!
    03-11-10 12:41 PM
    Fair assessment of the phones.
    03-11-10 12:48 PM
    My iPhone call quality is crystal clear and people can barely hear me on the Tour unless I use the speakerphone or a headset.

Thank you for mentioning the poor call quality. I said that on another post and someone said I was exaggerating and stopped short of calling me a liar.

I had the 3GS 32G for just under one month and returned.

Agree on the browser - incomparable. Agree on the fact that it's not user friendly for extreme environments.
    03-11-10 01:53 PM
    Motorola Droid

Pros: Excellent screen with vivid colors. Excellent external speaker. Browser is the best I have used, probably the best on the market. Customizable UI which Apple cannot match right now. Loads of interesting apps in the Market, which is very nice as well. Google Maps with Navigation is best GPS out there.

Cons: Design and build quality sub-par. Keyboard is miserable. Touch screen unresponsive. UI has enormous amounts of lag. You need an app just to "kill" other apps running in background (Caveat: Linux does a great job of managing running apps but still poor overall). Battery life is horrible. Screen outside is unreadable. Poor call quality. E-mail service remains buggy. Inconsistent updates due to so many devices.

DU
    Maybe that's just on the Droid, but I have the HTC Hero on Sprint and my touch screen is pretty responsive and no lag. Anyways....Task Killers are NOT recommended on Android, they actually don't do any good. About the browser, while close, Android still has a ways to go before catching up with the iPhone's browser. No offense and not trying to put you down, but you probably need to learn about Android a little more before trying to review it.
    03-11-10 02:55 PM
    Maybe that's just on the Droid, but I have the HTC Hero on Sprint and my touch screen is pretty responsive and no lag. Anyways....Task Killers are NOT recommended on Android, they actually don't do any good. About the browser, while close, Android still has a ways to go before catching up with the iPhone's browser. No offense and not trying to put you down, but you probably need to learn about Android a little more before trying to review it.
    No offense taken but might I offer a small suggestion that you ask me about my training or involvement with said device and OS. And anyone who has owned the device is entitled to provide their take on the device. I promise you though that I am well educated as I have been involved in app development for both iPhone and Android. While the 2.0 OS on the Droid works well without an app killer, rest assured a number of developers and everyday users utilize one and highly recommend it. Please though, I am not saying every person believes an app killer needed or even helpful. But this has been my experience. I am sure this matter could be a ping pong game but I refuse to be a part of it.

I would however like to say that I may or may not have had a defective Droid. Right now though, I am enjoying my Tour on Verizon and anxiously awaiting 5.0.

Glad to be back!
    03-11-10 04:24 PM
    I don't mind this review at all... love it actually. You actually owned and used the device. Quite a few have used "a friend's" device... lol.

I'm wondering if your opinion would have been the same about the Google phone (Nexus 1). IMHO, the Droid is powerful, but horrible design. Some like it, but I dislike it with a passion.

Also... was it that bad of an experience that you did not want to wait for the tour2 or will you be picking one up when it drops. From having the 9700, there is a big difference for me. I returned the tour before I was stuck with it. The trackball (after using the trackpad) is horrible to use. Everyone of my BB friends that still have an older BB with a trackball say the love my trackpad and the smooth movement you get from using it.

Thanks for the review. Rich (pkcable)... weren't you thinking of testing an iPhone out? Lol :-P
    03-11-10 04:40 PM
    I have had my hands on the iPhone3g's and is nice, but IMO is more for entertainment compared to my 9700, which can shoot off emails, texts, bbming and my emails come in a flash. It is also a very good phone well talking and love the full qwerty keyboard.

I like the iPhone, just the Bold 2 suites my needs a lot better.

I haven't used a Driod yet, but will peep it soon as my Sister-in-law is getting one. She has a BB Storm 1 currently and I loathed that phone, so has to be better than that.

I have used Andriod OS quite a bit though as my wife has the new mytouch3g. It is nice, but gets boring fast! Seems that browsing is nice, however since DL Bolt, I am happy with the speeds on my 9700. She has horrible battery life and has to keep charging it 2 times a day. Also texting on that phone is by far the hardest I have had with any phone. Works well for her skinnier fingers, but me...nope, lol!

I love my Bold 9700 and can't see owning another phone for at least two years, lol!
    03-11-10 05:09 PM
    Thanks for the detailed reviews, much appreciated!
    03-11-10 05:20 PM
    tour on, we are here, you can always come back home!!!!!!
    03-11-10 05:32 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD