I've been a Windows mobile user since it first came out (and the origional Pilot before that) save for a brief affair with a "blueberry" several years ago. While I think Windows Mobile finally has a nice push email solution, the parade of WinMob devices I've used invariably become slightly flakey and require constant tweaking. I'm frustrated to the point that I want something that "just works" and am looking at the BB Bold. I do however have a few questions before making the switch. If you've gone from WinMob to a recent blackberry I would greatly appreciate any insights.

I recently got an iPod touch and that showed me what a slick, stable OS could look like on a phone. I don't think iPhone would handle what I want, so I've ruled that out, but the experience has only shown me how clunky WinMob has become compared to alternatives and after having been away from BB it is starting to look like it might be a viable option.

I'm a heavy emailer and SMS user, and don't really care about watching movies or listenting to music on my phone (I have the iPod for that).

I would be using BES connected to an Exchange server if that impacts the answers at all.

FOLDERS:

My BB experience was so long ago I forget how folder handling worked, so I'm confused here. My concern is working with folders when disconnected. I travel very frequently, and have a "Travel" folder in my Exchange inbox where I keep hotel confirmations, etc. Can I browse this and other folders when disconnected (i.e. on a plane)? Can I file items to different folders when disconnected (i.e. do some inbox cleanup)?

Ideally if someone could explain the change in going from a WinMob inbox (tied to exchange via active sync) to BB that would help.

PHONE:

I obviously use the phone a lot. I assume BB will sync with my exchange address book? Will pictures come over, and pop up when someone calls?

Also is the dialer pretty easy? I love that in WinMob I can start typing a name via the number pad (i.e. to call BOB I would type 2-6-2 and all the names represented by that letter combination appear). Is there something similar or a function that serves the same purpose? Good Bluetooth performance?

PRODUCTIVITY APPS:

Outside email, I frequently use Pocket Informant which I see is available for BB. I mostly use it to view my appointments and manipulate tasks and I heavily rely on categories. I assume I can do the same on BB, and create/move tasks and appointments between categories?

Also, I assume there are decent weather apps and BB has a capability where I can get weather in multiple cities, world time and next few appointments with minimal goofing around from when I pick up the device? (what I'm looking for is a today screen replacement for WinMob users).

MULTIPLE BES ACCOUNTS:

Is it possible to connect to multiple BES'? Most of my clients use BB and it would be nice to have my company inbox, as well as my client inbox on one device. Since I own the thing I don't want my client locking down my BB though, and I would want to easily delete the "account" when I leave a client. I can't do this on WinMob so it's not a huge deal but it would be nice if it were possible.

BES:

I run a small business and we have our own Windows SBS 2003 server with Exchange. From what I've heard, I can install a "lite" version of BES that includes access for a single client (me). I've also read about all the app restricitions, BIS and generally confused myself. Can I install BES and then just leave it alone and have everything work, or does it require significant care and feeding?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the super-long virgin post!
    03-05-09 07:08 AM
    Anyone, anyone? Bueler.... bueler...
    03-07-09 09:02 PM
    Hi there,
    You have a lot of questions, but first of all, I'd like to give a simply answer. BB is good. Just see how popular it is!
    03-30-09 12:29 AM
    Some more detailed answers:

1. FOLDER
    The BB can sync with your desktop PC's outlook, including address books, calendar, email folders. The sync may happen wirelessly. However, there are some default sync rules. You may need to get familiar with them in order to better use them, don't just assume how it works.

2. Dialing
    It's easy, it supports search, either from call log or address book.

3. Weather
    There are many weather applications. Just searach blackberry weather.

4. A new BB doesn't have today's screen, but may some theme creators make it.

5. MULTIPLE BES ACCOUNTS:
    I do know there is multiple BES concept but not sure if it's for email. You can ask RIM's sales. But I do have my company email, hotmail, gmail accounts on my BB, so I can get emails sent to any of those emails.

6. BES
    A brand new BB generally belongs to RIM's BES(It's called BIS), you don't need to configure anything. If you want to sync BB with your desktop outlook, you need to install your BES, configure it to work with your exchange server, and add your BB to your BES, then do an enterprise activateion. This mostly need a professional to handle.
    03-30-09 12:49 AM
    Since you travel a lot and make a lot of phone calls, please try EasyDialer -- calling card dialer. one menu click to replace lengthy numbers dialing.

It saves calling cards on your BlackBerry, then you can call from address book, call log and email with the calling cards. No need to change existing contacts.

It supports Google Voice as well.

Please check:
    Calling Card Dialer -- Free Trial Version BlackBerry Dialer, BlackBerry Google Voice Dialer, Dialer

William
    03-30-09 12:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD