I was looking for used BB Passport to buy and seen a good ad, but there is an AZERTY keyboard layout. Is that a problem? Researching helped me to understand that everyone just wants to get rid of it, but is it really that bad for english speaker (writer?...)? Is there a chance for me to get used to it? Also, is there any difference for French phones besides keyboard layout, any region locked stuff?
    02-27-20 08:30 PM
    I was looking for used BB Passport to buy and seen a good ad, but there is an AZERTY keyboard layout. Is that a problem? Researching helped me to understand that everyone just wants to get rid of it, but is it really that bad for english speaker (writer?...)? Is there a chance for me to get used to it? Also, is there any difference for French phones besides keyboard layout, any region locked stuff?
    You can change the layout in the software. You'll just have to remember where the proper keys are. Paint the keys?

There are no other changes to the device however. It would work fine otherwise.
    02-27-20 11:55 PM
    You can change the layout in the software. You'll just have to remember where the proper keys are. Paint the keys?

There are no other changes to the device however. It would work fine otherwise.
    Just out of curiosity, is it possible to switch out the keyboard and remap the keys thus getting around the problem. I mean, it would be easier just to find a qwerty but it could be done that way, no?
    02-28-20 12:35 PM
    Just out of curiosity, is it possible to switch out the keyboard and remap the keys thus getting around the problem. I mean, it would be easier just to find a qwerty but it could be done that way, no?
    Yes, no problem, switch to a qwerty and choose the qwerty layout!

I bought a replacement qwerty (on ebay, a+ quality) to replace my qwertz and then just chose the qwerty layout.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    02-28-20 01:00 PM
    I don't know about that, but the best solution is to buy a qwerty keyboard (plenty of offers on eBay and elsewhere) and just choose from Settings the Qwerty layout. I know, I have done this with a qwertz device and it now performs just as a qwerty one. Only thing that may not work is the BB Assistant language; then again, since this is not functioning as it used to, maybe it's not that big of an issue.
    02-28-20 01:03 PM
    Don't Skinomi do Keyboard overlays as part of their products?
    02-28-20 01:59 PM
    Like @mikael11 I did the same thing, changing out a qwertz keyboard for a qwerty. You can also just change the keyboard mapping in the software while you're waiting for the new keyboard to arrive.

You can check out a link to the details here: https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13410282
    brookie229 likes this.
    02-29-20 07:20 PM
    Have a quertz Classic, mapped it software wise to qwerty. Works like a charm. Especially as only 2 keys are marked “wrong “ in that case.

On the laptop never was able to get used to azerty whereas I actually can work with a quertz if needed.
    03-01-20 01:05 PM
    I personally have a QWERTY keyboard, despite the fact that I'm french (and, as u can see with my poooor english, usually writing in french) but it's quite easy to be accustomed to another layout on a BlackBerry device - even without changing the software layout because the majority of changes on the keyboard are on keys that only exists on a full-sized keyboard (accentuated letters, symbols). I would not be worried about another physical layout on the BlackBerry keyboard but would probably be really a pain on a full KB.
    03-02-20 10:14 AM
    Try Dvorak sometime... Lol.

Speaking for myself, if I wasn't committed to that particular PP, I'd be inclined to just find a qwerty PP somewhere and sell the AZERTY PP to someone with the need? Otherwise, I'd likely just re-map and never look. Something driven deep by an old highschool typing teach... Who'd chastise "lookers" by asking... "Do you look at your tongue to talk?" ?? Lol.

Otherwise, swapping kb on this 99 is a five minute job while sipping coffee. Idk about swapping PP KB? ??
    03-02-20 10:57 AM