Does anyone know of any awesome blackberry software that runs on wifi? I don't have an internet plan so I'll greatly appreciate it
    01-03-09 10:48 AM
    I don't understand the logic of paying that much for a phone that doesn't use half of what it is capable of. To each their own.
    01-05-09 02:44 PM
    without data plan not much will work...
    01-05-09 06:34 PM
    top of my head...umm...you can run plenty of softwares to run on wifi; browsers, msn live, facebook, etc

i guess u wouldnt be able to use it for BIS (email thru blackberry or BB messenger)
    01-07-09 03:00 AM
    The question is ... do you plan to stay in a place where there is always WIFI available...and you have the KEY or go for freeby?

If you plan to move around then you need a Blackberry plan to get the 'pushing' of your internet and email.

By software ... do you mean that you want to play games?
    If so you do not need a Blackberry...but there are lots of games available in the crackberry store.
    01-07-09 09:23 PM
    The places I need my blackberry all have hotspots, so that's why I don't need a data plan
    01-08-09 03:50 PM
    The places I need my blackberry all have hotspots, so that's why I don't need a data plan
    So wifi works for you w/o a data plan? That's good. I was under the impression that it would not.

If you disable data options->Mobile Network->Data Services and turn that off. Bold won't even connect to wifi for some reason. From that i assumed actually wi-fi wouldn't even work w/o data plan...
    01-15-09 10:29 PM
    wifi works without a data plan, without a voice plan, without nothing (i can remove my sim card and wifi/browsing will still work). however all you can really do is browse via Opera, Bolt, or your Carriers "hot spot" browser. No push services work as all those are routed through your carriers infrastructure. If someone had a skype type application for BB, then you could also make calls. But there isn't one yet.
    01-29-09 01:24 PM
    I have my service through AT&T and trying to use WiFi was a nightmare. I bought a data package but I am frequently in an area without cell coverage and with WiFi. I could not get the WiFi to work reliably on the BOLD. The WiFi worked great on my iTouch. A bunch of people I work with have iPhones and they all could use the WiFi but the BOLD I had was hit and miss. It was so frustrating I finally returned it. I don't think it was the device, I think AT&T has something to do with it.

The WiFi looked connected. Correct SSID, IP address, DNS, gateway but I couldn't ping couldn't browse. I got it to work twice for a very short time.
    01-29-09 02:15 PM
    I'm on my Bold on wifi reading CB, my sim is in my 8900 (putting it through the tests, lol) and I am on bbbrowser....I'll hafta do a swizzyswap and see if a can do the same on the 8900

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD