I rarely post to such forums as an IT Professional,,I have little time for such things. However, after installing many Blackberry instances for clients with Windows server,,,I have a recommendation -- Dont do it.
    If you have a situation where your client is contemplating buying a Blackberry with plans to marry with their Exchange server,,,it would be wise to share with the client the troubling issues with the Blackberry software.
    1. The Blackberry software is a convoluted mess and lengthy process to install.
    Of course, if you client is willing to pay you for the time to install/troubleshoot to get working,,,then,,hey,,what the heck.
    2. Blackberry support...in short sucks. They are very difficult to contact and when u do get a tech that knows what they are doing,,,u may have trouble understanding their English.
    3. Have had several clients where the software just simply quits communicating with the handset and requires attn to get going again.

Again,,,if one has the choice,,,avoid Blackberry. Recommend your client buy a handset that readily marries with Exchange Server without addl. software involved...there are plenty to choose from and they perform very well.

I will not visit this post in the future,,,as I have no time for it..but wanted to aire my experienced opinion so that those investigating Blackberry as a solution can think twice prior to deployment.
    06-21-08 01:54 AM
    Oh lord... The end result of this post should be humorous.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-08 02:21 AM
    How dare you insult the Crack!!!! This is like telling someone to give up their child....it's just plain wrong.
    06-21-08 02:24 AM
    why would you wanna post such post in this forum full of ALREADY blackberry users/abusers?

hmmm.
    06-21-08 02:30 AM
    Lol I love the "...as I have no time for it...". Sounds like a super villain

06-21-08 02:31 AM
    for some strange reason when I read those words all my brain translates them to is "wah wah wah wah wah...wah wah wah" (like charlie brown teacher) and my blackberry is telling me..."pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...."...........

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
    06-21-08 02:32 AM
    Obviously in a business situation it is best to research to find out what brand and model(s) will work best to meet the needs of the company without a lot of technical issues. With that said there is no one brand that works best for everyone.

06-21-08 02:33 AM
    i say delete this thread
    06-21-08 02:34 AM
    there are 3 things you just don't insult someone about: their religion, their politics and their blackberry. Sheesh.
    06-21-08 02:35 AM
    Gentlemen (and women), light your flamethrowers...AND THEY'RE OFF!
    06-21-08 02:42 AM
    Too funny! He has time to register and join a forum to make his first and only post, and make lame statements that just indicate his own ignorance, but doesn't have time to come back?

He could have saved himself and us the trouble!

Typical attitude of a tech that is too geeky to understand the business value of something has no relation to how difficult it was for him to install, expecially when he's not qualified to do so.

I second the motion to delete a wasted thread, and maybe even his account he doesn't plan on using again!

Save a user id, delete a spammer!
    06-21-08 02:59 AM
    Delete ?
    06-21-08 03:06 AM
    blackberry envy is an ugly thing
    06-21-08 03:15 AM
    blackberry envy is an ugly thing
    Yes it is...

Sad world we live in these days...
    06-21-08 03:23 AM
    i say delete this thread
    I agree delete this trash!
    06-21-08 03:27 AM
    Lol komedy!!!

06-21-08 03:42 AM
    delete ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    06-21-08 04:17 AM
    I guess if it wasn't hard they wouldn't call it WORK!!!! Sorry I have to time after posting this, to look at anymore responses. HA!
    06-21-08 04:43 AM
    I agree delete this trash!
    Now, now. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even trolls.

That being said, what a maroon. I can understand why one would have trouble installing software when they lack the ability to communicate using proper grammar.

Who exactly is he telling to stay away from BB? Business users or IT technicians? From a business standpoint, what do you care how lengthy or difficult the set up is? You're not the one that has to do it.

From the IT standpoint, if someone is going to pay you to set up their exchange server, it would not be a very smart move to tell them you're not going to do it because you dislike the software.
    06-21-08 04:46 AM
    I'm curious if this businessman has ever done any other computer based tasks. Setting up ANY system is a lengthy and tedious process and requires patience. IMHO BlackBerry software is far easier to install and maneuver than Windows. Heaven forbid he ever had to deal with Linux software. People never cease to amaze me.

06-21-08 05:01 AM
    Oops I lied I came back, he he he
    06-21-08 05:04 AM
    Awww cmon guys be gentle! The ***** clearly got into trouble at work coz he was stupid enough not to get his Exchange Server work done coz of minor issues that he was too lazy to figure out.

06-21-08 05:10 AM
    I really think this post should stay - my opinion (without a hint of flamage) is that this guy needs to be held up as a warning - of what NOT to do.

BES is a complex product, email is mission critical, you don't "just tinker with it".

"Experienced IT Professionals" who are the type to install (any) critical software on a production server without proper planning are taking a BIG RISK & will come unstuck eventually. Every failed BES install I have seen failed because a step was ignored. Generally the IT Pro in question "didn't think it was important".

This guy sounds like one of those - "I'm too smart/busy to follow the instructions, but my install doesn't work so the product sucks". The fact that he says he is "too busy to post in forums and will never read the replies" makes me think he is one of these not completely competent admins that are always blaming others for his own failures.

I can't comment on RIM's technical support, as I have never had to use it! More than likely though this guy called up with an attitude of "I'm an expert and your product is cr@p" and got the expected level of response to that attitude.
    06-21-08 05:41 AM
    I'm curious if this businessman has ever done any other computer based tasks. Setting up ANY system is a lengthy and tedious process and requires patience. IMHO BlackBerry software is far easier to install and maneuver than Windows. Heaven forbid he ever had to deal with Linux software. People never cease to amaze me.

So True - it reminds me of a guy back in the day who HATED Novell because he (as a new "admin" with no proper experience other than 'messing about with PC's) could not walk up to their Novell server & make changes like he could their Windows servers...

At the time he couldn't see how that was a GOOD thing but 10 years later he now gets it (thankfully he didn't break too many servers in the meantime).

In my own experience BES is the SOLE reason for Blackberry's dominance in the market. Yes they make nice handsets (I love my Curve), but so do a lot of others. What NONE of the competition do is offer the same experience as a BES, even the BIS falls way short.

So a bit of extra effort during setup to get things right is nothing - and takes LESS time than fixing the problems caused by taking shortcuts!
    06-21-08 06:00 AM
    Wow. Been a while since I've seen such a blatant troll.
    06-21-08 06:27 AM
106 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD