Hey guys

So we all know you can write in a text "sig" and it will be replaced with your name.

But Is there a program, script or way to write "firstname" and have the recipients name pop u?

Like "Hey firstname, I'm going to X venue tonight, come with!" and it will replace firstname with the "Kayla" or whatever?

There's gotta be a way to do this.
    10-30-09 11:21 PM
    How would this proposed app know who you meant by "firstname"?
    10-30-09 11:42 PM
    By who the text message was being sent to.

IE I'm sending a text to "Karla" it replaces "firstname" with the recipient (karla)
    10-30-09 11:43 PM
    You might be able to make an app for it, but I doubt you could just type that into a message and have it do it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 12:00 AM
    Hmm. If only I knew how to make apps...
    10-31-09 12:22 AM
    Its not an app, its a programing script that allows it to do that. It has to be written in to the programing of the sms system. You wouldn't be able to make an app for something like that because the app would have to work outside of the sms system. Essentially you'd have to create an entire new sms system as an app and have that as a feature.

10-31-09 02:34 AM
    And why would you rather type 'firstname' instead of Kayla? Isn't autotext supposed to REDUCE what you type? Maybe I misunderstood the purpose...

10-31-09 10:07 AM
    And why would you rather type 'firstname' instead of Kayla? Isn't autotext supposed to REDUCE what you type? Maybe I misunderstood the purpose...

It would reduce. For example, in the morning I send many different texts, but they say the same thing:

Good Morning, Katie!
    Good Morning, Dave!
    Good Morning, Kaycee!
    Good Morning, Carol!

So, by being able to type "Good Morning, Name" I'd only have to send 1 text to multiple receipents.

I don't think you'd have to "recreate" the SMS system. Tons of programs have an "export" feature that creates a message or email to send. You would have to tell the app who to send it to and what to say, and then it could create and autosend them for you.

10-31-09 01:01 PM
    I guess my next question then, who do I need to paypal to get this done?
    11-02-09 04:01 AM
    As I understand it, you're trying to do the following:

To: John; Kate; Mark; Jenny
    Message: hey firstname, I can't wait to see you and your sexy **** tonight!

Sounds like you'd have to develop a new sms system. You can't do what you're trying to accomplish because the exact same message is sent to each person on the distribution list. You should just word the message so that you don't have to send anyone's name, like "hey sexy, see you tonight".

Auto text activates as you type, not when the message is sent. An app for this wouldn't be hard to make, but there would be no point for it. It's like you're trying to mail out invitations for an event by utilizing a mailing list. If so, sms messages are informal and may not be the best way to invite people.

11-02-09 11:06 AM
    SoCaliTrojan

Fight on =) .. I'm USC undergrad.

To the point, this is more for promotional purposes.

I promote in Hollywood and have a promo group of around 300 names.

I've split my promo groups by gender and may start a text with "Hey girl!" which yields far greater responses then just a normal mass text, but a mass text that included the recipients name would get me FAR greater responses.

I'd really like to get an app that does this somehow, or pay someone to make one.
    11-17-09 01:59 AM
    I figured this one out.

There's an app here.

appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/3619
    11-18-09 05:52 PM
    thats a cool app. kinda pricey though.
    11-18-09 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD