just spent 45 minutes with Verizon tech from Yugoslavia or somewhere and could not fix.

friend has blackberry like mine and when he types email or text it auto fills the word or gives him options after the first couple of letters to the word. mine does not work. autotext is on.

any suggestions?
    09-13-08 10:20 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I suspect you are confusing Auto-Text with SureType.

SureType is a feature only supported on the 81xx Pearl phones. Auto-Text is supported on all consumer phones.

There is quick test you can use to verify. Type "acn ", if it changes to "can ", Auto-text is working correctly.

If it does not work with SMS: Options / SMS and set Disable AutoText to NO.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-13-08 at 10:28 AM.
    09-13-08 10:25 AM
    Reed, thanks for the welcome. i definitately do not have Suretype so must just be auto-text. i used your test, and it worked so that is enabled. apparently it is not the same as what i witnessed on a different blackberry. Is there a program that i can download that would allow a fat fingered guy some help?
    09-13-08 06:32 PM
    I have spent a week getting comfortable with SureType, it really grows on you.

However, there is something to be said for qwerty and the big screen. I would love to have both too.

Hum. ... Didn't I see a thread where a developer was looking for inspiration?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-08 07:43 PM
    it certainly helps to put whatever phrases you use often in your emails/ texts into the auto text
    ive got several for my work and personal emails
    but thats not exactly what we are describing here
    09-14-08 02:31 AM
    would sure like that option with my phone so that I could type faster on the darn thing. Drives me crazy as I am an old fart with fat fingers that MUST wear glasses to see the keys!!!
    09-15-08 04:32 AM
    With your "fat fingers" you could pre-set words or phrases you use frequently so you'll never have to type them out again. Just type one or two letters, and voila, they appear! Here's how to do it:
    Go to tools > autotext > new, and in the top field "Replace," type a letter in there.
    In the next field "With," type the word, words, phrase or paragraph that you want that letter to always be replaced with.
    Hit save and then try it out with an email.

For example, when I put the letter "n" and hit the space bar it's now replaced with the word "Nancy." (The letter becomes the new word after you hit the space bar.) You can do entire phrases, phone numbers, etc. It's absolutely the best part of having a BB and it's why I'm still with BB.

I'm always amazed that so few people know about autotext, or shortcuts like c for compose, s for search, f for forward and r for reply.

Hope this was helpful.
    09-19-10 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD