Hi all,

I have just got my new Bold on Orange. Screen is really cool - the strange faux leatherette back cover less cool..

Anyway the question is, can the device auto-switch between the Orangeworld and Hotspot browsers? E.g. if I have no Orange coverage, but I have WiFi, can it be set up to automatically use WiFi?

For the browser, I would settle for a way to create a second icon so I can manually load either Hotspot Browser or Orangeworld Browser. Is there a way to create a new browser icon?

Also, I use the gmail app and google maps app a lot. Probably doesn't matter but would like them to work over WiFi occasionally too. If I turn off Mobile Network, and have a WiFi connection, I want the google apps to use WiFi. Can that be configured? Right now the google apps complain in there's no Mobile Network.

Finally - it would be cool to configure, by app, whether to use the Mobile Network or WiFi by preference - kind of a priority order for each app. Anyone know whether that is or will be possible?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
    Martin
    08-27-08 04:52 AM
    Not sure if this helps but here you go... add "orangeinternet" as the APN name under the TCP settings in settings -> Advanced Options.

This may help Google apps find the interweb..
    08-27-08 11:07 AM
    as far as I know, you have to change the Browser from HotSpot to Internet Browser in the Browser Options, every time you want to switch between wifi & Edge/3G. Not too sure about having 2 different icons for wifi browser & Edge/3G browser. I guess if you can do this, it'll be really useful & pretty cool.

I am afraid, using Google Apps over wifi is not possible on Blackberrys. Someone on this forum wrote that this has nothing to do with Blackberry, it's the app developer who decides whether the app can use wifi or not. therefore you'll find that some third party apps work with wifi, where as others don't (I know this is frustrating, coz I am facing the same issues on my Bold). I guess you should set-up your mind in a way that you get over these issues & work with the tools in hand. Coz that's the best way you can enjoy your device.

Hi all,

I have just got my new Bold on Orange. Screen is really cool - the strange faux leatherette back cover less cool..

Anyway the question is, can the device auto-switch between the Orangeworld and Hotspot browsers? E.g. if I have no Orange coverage, but I have WiFi, can it be set up to automatically use WiFi?

For the browser, I would settle for a way to create a second icon so I can manually load either Hotspot Browser or Orangeworld Browser. Is there a way to create a new browser icon?

Also, I use the gmail app and google maps app a lot. Probably doesn't matter but would like them to work over WiFi occasionally too. If I turn off Mobile Network, and have a WiFi connection, I want the google apps to use WiFi. Can that be configured? Right now the google apps complain in there's no Mobile Network.

Finally - it would be cool to configure, by app, whether to use the Mobile Network or WiFi by preference - kind of a priority order for each app. Anyone know whether that is or will be possible?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
    Martin
    03-01-09 01:42 PM
    My bold automatically uses what ever connection is available. If its wifi itll use the hotspot browser. If its 3G it will use the internet browser. I didn't change any setting either.
    03-01-09 01:45 PM
    Yeah I believe it's whatever signal is strongest. But WiFi normally will go above 3G if both are on.
    03-01-09 02:26 PM
    My bold automatically uses what ever connection is available. If its wifi itll use the hotspot browser. If its 3G it will use the internet browser. I didn't change any setting either.
    that's pretty cool, infact it should be that way only. what is the O.S. version of your device & also what browser options are selected on your device?
    03-01-09 02:32 PM
    I'm running .234. and I didnt change any options in the browser other than just how the site is viewed.
    03-01-09 03:18 PM
    I'm running .234. and I didnt change any options in the browser other than just how the site is viewed.
    ok, you did'nt change any settings in your browser options. Fine..

It'd be great if you could post the Browser Options selected on your berry. This'll enable users like me to cross check the settings in Browser Options.

thanks
    03-02-09 12:18 PM
    Yeah you don't have to manually switch the browser to Hotspot in order to take advantage of wifi.

How to test it:
    -Open the BB browser (3g, wifi disabled)
    -Go to a page
    -Minimize the browser
    -Enable wifi, disable mobile network (wait for Wifi to connect first)
    -Go back to browser (network says "off"), you can still browse sites, etc

As for certain apps not auto-using wifi, it's the apps fault and they need to be fixed, not the Bold.
    Last edited by papped; 03-02-09 at 02:00 PM.
    03-02-09 01:04 PM
    Yeah you don't have to manually switch the browser to Hotspot in order to take advantage of wifi.

How to test it:
    -Open a browser (3g, wifi disabled)
    -Go to a page
    -Minimize the browser
    -Enable wifi, disable mobile network
    -Go back to browser (network says "off"), you can still browse sites, etc

As for certain apps not auto-using wifi, it's the apps fault and they need to be fixed, not the Bold.
    Well, strangely enough, the auto-switch does not work. I did exactly what you'v written, but on turning off the mobile network, I get an error saying that the mobile radio is off, check signal strength etc etc...

I know it's the application which needs to be rectified, in place of the phone. Is there any way end users like me can change the applications so that they work with wifi?
    03-02-09 01:49 PM
    I assume you let wifi connect first in step 4 (white wifi logo)?

You can't alter the source code of an application to tell it to use wifi. Either it has options built in to enable wifi manually, or it automatically uses available connections on it's own, or it doesn't support it.
    03-02-09 01:59 PM
    I assume you let wifi connect first in step 4 (white wifi logo)?

You can't alter the source code of an application to tell it to use wifi. Either it has options built in to enable wifi manually, or it automatically uses available connections on it's own, or it doesn't support it.
    hang on..

I have Edge available & the wifi icon is never white on my device. It's always gray. Also when you go to Manage Connections from the Menu, even though the wifi connection is on, there is a white "-" sign against wifi, unlike the green "tick" against the Mobile Network (an explanation on this will be really great & I'll really appreciate it).
    03-02-09 02:12 PM
    hang on..

I have Edge available & the wifi icon is never white on my device. It's always gray. Also when you go to Manage Connections from the Menu, even though the wifi connection is on, there is a white "-" sign against wifi, unlike the green "tick" against the Mobile Network (an explanation on this will be really great & I'll really appreciate it).
    Sounds like your wifi connection isn't working properly. If it's actually connected, it should have a green check AND the logo should be white AND it should display the SSID next to your carrier name on the today screen.
    03-02-09 02:15 PM
    Sounds like your wifi connection isn't working properly. If it's actually connected, it should have a green check AND the logo should be white AND it should display the SSID next to your carrier name on the today screen.
    well it does display the SSID next to my carrier name on the today screen.

I guess the wifi logo is not white coz the BB Connect Services can not be accessed via the wifi ??
    03-02-09 02:23 PM
    What BB connect services?

The logo should be white and the connection should have a green check just from connecting to wifi. Whatever apps don't utilize it shouldn't matter.
    03-02-09 02:25 PM
    What BB connect services?

The logo should be white and the connection should have a green check just from connecting to wifi. Whatever apps don't utilize it shouldn't matter.
    BB Connect Services means Data Plan.

Anyways, so you are saying that the wifi logo should be white & there should be a Green Check against wifi. Well, I think I got to figure out the router settings etc..
    03-02-09 02:33 PM
    Google Maps works over wifi on my Bold. I turned off my mobile network antenna and my google maps still works.
    03-03-09 05:22 PM
    Google Maps works over wifi on my Bold. I turned off my mobile network antenna and my google maps still works.
    that's gr8.

which version of google maps are you using?
    03-03-09 11:43 PM
    I'm having the same issue. My browser doesn't switch between hotspot and internet... I hope someone can post their config so I can check that. Or post some kind of fix. It's quite annoying to have to manually change all the time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 05:17 PM
    It doesn't have to switch between hotspot and internet. Is there a reason that you have to use the hotspot browser when on wifi?
    03-09-09 05:44 PM
    It doesn't have to switch between hotspot and internet. Is there a reason that you have to use the hotspot browser when on wifi?
    then what else do you use? third party browser, I guess ??

but anyways, is it possible that the in-built bb browser uses wifi (where ever available) by default, but if wifi is not available, it uses Edge/3G (like it happens in other phones like Nokias)
    03-10-09 02:31 AM
    That's what the BB browser already does.

You don't have to use the hotspot browser to use wifi on the BB browser.
    03-10-09 06:12 PM

ok, so that means that I should have the General Options(in Browser) as Internet Browser & the Browser will switch between the wifi & edge automatically. Right ???
    03-11-09 01:51 AM

This is incorrect. If you have your Browser preferences set to Internet Browser you will use 3G even if WiFi is available. Only the Hotspot Browser uses WiFi. I have tested this thoroughly, as my company's secure internal websites are only accessible over WiFi since a 3G connection is external to our network.

One way to choose which network to use is to create a bookmark for a site and then edit it. In the edit options you can choose which browser to invoke when launching the bookmark.

This behavior is consistent with all BB apps. The network used is determined by each application, not the BB OS. Since the BB Browser does not have an "auto" setting, you have to set or invoke the correct browser for the network you want to use.
    03-11-09 08:08 AM
    This is incorrect. If you have your Browser preferences set to Internet Browser you will use 3G even if WiFi is available.
    My Blackberry browser is set to "Internet Browser". When I walk through the door at home, and WiFi Connects to my router, The Blackberry Browser uses WiFi over 3G
    03-11-09 08:17 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD