Anyone know of any apps or pending apps that take advantage of augmented reality? I only recently heard of the concept and it sounds interesting. Even though I'm getting the Droid X in a week's time, it'd still be cool if Blackberries had something like this.

Junaio's augmented reality app for iPhone and Android can add cartoons to your otherwise-boring existence -- Engadget

Of course the cartoon aspect was lame, but what it does with tracking events and things in your area via the camera was interesting.
    07-08-10 10:10 AM
    All we need is someone to develop it for the BlackBerry platform
    07-08-10 10:11 AM
    LOL

Some augmented reality apps are cool. But the idea they could run on a BlackBerry?

ahahahahaha. I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at RIM. I don't even think they have a usable barcode scanner yet.
    07-08-10 10:12 AM
    I saw a special on Augmented Reality the other day...

In order to run augmented reality apps, a phone needs to have a compass, as well as GPS, or aGPS not sure which.

BlackBerry's have GPS already on board, but not a "real" compass.

So as of now I can't see augmented reality on a BlackBerry yet.

"The main hardware components for augmented reality are: display, tracking, input devices, and computer. Combination of powerful CPU, camera, accelerometers, GPS and solid state compass are often present in modern smartphones, which make them prospective platforms for augmented reality." -Wikipedia

So really all BlackBerry's are missing is the compass.

Then you can have Augmented Reality apps on your BlackBerry
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 07-08-10 at 10:25 AM.
    07-08-10 10:17 AM
    In order to run augmented reality apps, a phone needs to have a compass, as well as GPS, or aGPS not sure which.

BlackBerry's have GPS already on board, but not a "real" compass.

So as of now I can't see augmented reality on a BB yet.

Although I can be wrong.
    Don't worry, that will be the next incremental upgrade. In a few weeks photos will leak of another Verizon Bold, which will have - *WOW* a compass, WiFi-N, and a little more internal memory!!

BOLD 9680!!!
    07-08-10 10:19 AM
    Actually, AR will come preloaded on all the new BB7 devices we've been patiently waiting for. It will be integrated with a Wikitude browser.
    07-27-11 01:43 PM
    Meh, I have my authentic real water-filled compass and it has never failed me once.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 06:36 PM
    augmented reality sounds nice but i doubt many of us will have any purpose for it. Spending more time on putting something like a front facing camera on a bb and maybe developing some apps worth using may be more sufficient.

Just a thought from a long time bb user watching technology unfold day by day.
    cmon RIM ur falling behind.... and fast!
    07-28-11 10:20 AM
    RIM is most likely going to make a big deal out of this even though it's been available on iOS, Android, and even Nokia for quite some time. If you don't hear about it from them then chances are it might not fly too well on our platform. Hopefully i'm wrong.
    07-28-11 01:55 PM
    The PlayBook has the hardware and would be a great platform for AR. I hope someone will make some cool apps for it.
    07-28-11 02:06 PM
    Wikitude makes use of AR, and is coming pre-loaded on the 9900
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    07-28-11 03:43 PM
    Bla1ze got it dead on.
    Some AR things are possible on current BlackBerrys, but haven't been done (probably because there's not much market for it, and certainly not enough to justify the difficulty of making an AR game for BB).
    07-28-11 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD