I just took a look at the GPS features of my Curve 8330. I can put in an address and get directions. The ability to do this alone seems to me that it is simply acting like Mapquest and not a GPS. Does BB Maps have audio like a real GPS? If so, how do I activate the audio component? What about turn by turn instructions? I have the 4.5.0.77 OS. Thanks.
    02-11-09 12:36 AM
    Amazegps and Nav4all have turn by turn as does the Verizon Navigator product. There are others - garmin has a BB product.

Actually, the original gps units merely showed your position. All the audio turn/turn stuff are bells and whistles added in the last few years and boy have things changed.

Some are limited because Verizon locks their gps (in OUR phones) to only BBmaps and Verizon navigator. For the others to work you need a separate bluetooth gps unit.
    02-11-09 09:29 AM
    Amazegps and Nav4all have turn by turn as does the Verizon Navigator product. There are others - garmin has a BB product.

Actually, the original gps units merely showed your position. All the audio turn/turn stuff are bells and whistles added in the last few years and boy have things changed.

Some are limited because Verizon locks their gps (in OUR phones) to only BBmaps and Verizon navigator. For the others to work you need a separate bluetooth gps unit.
    Thank you. I hate to be dense, but does that mean that BB Maps does not have audio nor turn-by-turn instructions?
    02-11-09 11:54 AM
    Thank you. I hate to be dense, but does that mean that BB Maps does not have audio nor turn-by-turn instructions?
    that is correct. BB Maps does NOT provide audible turn by turn directions.

you can get written directions much like mapquest. you can also use the GPS to search for addresses and POIs.

For audible turn by turn you will need to subscribe to VZ NAV at $9.99/month.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 02-11-09 at 12:02 PM.
    02-11-09 11:58 AM
    bbmaps doesn't give audible directions. But it does use the GPS. This is better than a print out from mapquest because it constantly updates how far you are from your next turn, and if you take a wrong turn it recalculates.

This came in very handy when driving through Chicago recently and missing an exit.
    02-11-09 12:22 PM
    bbmaps doesn't give audible directions. But it does use the GPS. This is better than a print out from mapquest because it constantly updates how far you are from your next turn, and if you take a wrong turn it recalculates.

This came in very handy when driving through Chicago recently and missing an exit.
    Thank you. Free is free. It's still a great app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 07:51 PM
    How did you get this to work? I only seem to be able to get written directions like map quest..I can them watch where I am driving but it does not tell me where to turn and does not actually follow the directions or recalculate...thanks!

02-17-09 10:08 AM
    How did you get this to work? I only seem to be able to get written directions like map quest..I can them watch where I am driving but it does not tell me where to turn and does not actually follow the directions or recalculate...thanks!

02-17-09 10:30 AM
    Go to Options-Advanced Options-GPS-GPS Services- change from 911 only to Turned On. Save it. When you go back to BB Maps, click the menu and you will now see a command to "start GPS Navigation.". Click that and it will take you to your current location and you should be able to navigate. Hopefully it will work now.

02-17-09 08:30 PM
    But does it actually tell you when you should be turning (not audibly obviously....)

Go to Options-Advanced Options-GPS-GPS Services- change from 911 only to Turned On. Save it. When you go back to BB Maps, click the menu and you will now see a command to "start GPS Navigation.". Click that and it will take you to your current location and you should be able to navigate. Hopefully it will work now.

02-17-09 08:58 PM
    start navigation only let's you see where you are and the miles per hours.

Kansas666 said it gives you directions and updates if you miss a turn.

How do we do that? i haven't found a way. i can get it to list directions, like map quest. i can get gps to follow me.

But i can't find where it uses gps to route me as i'm driving, and recalulate etc.

i would love for this to work! Thanks.

Last edited by chrisy520; 02-18-09 at 06:07 AM.
    02-18-09 06:04 AM
    It doesn't automatically recalculate when you go off course it simply gives you written directions and then shows your current location in reference to those directions. If you miss a turn you can do a new directions search using the same destination as the end point and your current location as the starting point.

It is obviously not as good a an actual gps nav program but it is free. You can use AmazeGPS or Nav4All for free but will need an external bluetooth gps receiver if using these programs on a VZW BB curve.
    02-18-09 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD