I've always had this idea, and I posted it in the BB10 tweaks thread, but after listening to the interview with Thor on how BBRY actually reads through CB, I thought I'd post this suggestion...

When an incoming call appears on the screen, have the option to swipe left/right (in addition to up or down to accept or deny the call), and bring up a list of pre-made text messages that the user can make to send to the person that's calling.

For example, I got a call while I was in a meeting. Instead of just swiping down and ignoring the call, why not have the option to swipe left/right and send them a text message letting them know you're busy; in a meeting; on the other line; driving; or whatever the user wants to put.

Attn: Thorsten or whoever from bbry that can make this happen...-incoming-call-2.jpg

After you swipe left/right, a list of preset texts (that the user can edit and add to) comes up and all the user has to do is just tap which one to send and boom! The text gets sent and now you don't have to go to your Hub or Contacts or Call History to send that person a message letting them know why you didn't answer their call. It'all right there on the incoming call screen and requires just two user inputs: a left/right swipe and then tapping which message they want.

This would be a convenient feature, and a time saver for myself as well as a lot of other people since I get a lot of calls while I'm preoccupied with someone else. The nice part is that it's letting you acknowledge the person who is calling you and lets them know why you didn't answer their call (that is, if you want to let them know why, it's up to you...). At the same time, you're not being rude and taking too much away from the person you're preoccupied with because all you to do was swipe and tap. I know it can be frustrating when I'm talking to someone and that person starts typing out a text message to a caller they ignored to let them know what's going on, thus now ignoring me...

Hopefully, if the CB community likes and demands this feature enough, it'll get attention from BBRY and they'll integrate it. So more comments/feedback is welcome.
    Last edited by JR A; 03-25-13 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Typohzzzz
    Neely2005, ErinnM, loc5 and 29 others like this.
    03-25-13 12:24 AM
    I love this idea! I can tell you doctors would love a feature like this. I like the general idea of your thread too; I've had an idea about the app tray for a while but haven't decided how to go about suggesting it to BBRY.
    mathking606, adjdudley21 and JR A like this.
    03-25-13 12:39 AM
    I love this idea! I can tell you doctors would love a feature like this. I like the general idea of your thread too; I've had an idea about the app tray for a while but haven't decided how to go about suggesting it to BBRY.

Thanks!

The thread idea wasn't mine, there is an existing thread that a TON of CB members have posted pages of different suggestions to make BB10 better. I just decided to make my own thread, not because I think it's a better suggestion than the rest, but because it's a very simple to implement feature that I KNOW a ton of other BBRY users can utilize on an everyday basis (heck, even an every-call-basis), and it needs to be implemented NOW!
    00stryder likes this.
    03-25-13 12:43 AM
    good idea, may turn out to make the interface overly complicated.

i would say that this is a good idea for an app developer. Since we can listen for incoming calls using the native api, an app could potentially prompt you to send the user a message if u decline a call. of course the app would have to remain open, and wouldn't be as seamless as what you suggest, but worth a shot if a dev will give it a try.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using CB Forums App
    03-25-13 12:46 AM
    good idea, may turn out to make the interface overly complicated.

i would say that this is a good idea for an app developer. Since we can listen for incoming calls using the native api, an app could potentially prompt you to send the user a message if u decline a call. of course the app would have to remain open, and wouldn't be as seamless as what you suggest, but worth a shot if a dev will give it a try.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using CB Forums App
    Yeah, I'd love to see an app developer bring something like this to market. But you're right about it not being seamless as a core feature integration, which is why I wanted to get Thor/BBRY's specific attention on this.

I don't think it would make the platform complicated as you can put arrows on the incoming call screen to let you know you have the option to swipe left or right, just like how there are arrows going up and down... Just like how people will have to get used to Peek and Flow, this is a lot simpler to learn since there are on screen guidance (arrows pointing left/right) and it's just that: left and/or right...
    03-25-13 12:50 AM
    Good idea.
    JR A likes this.
    03-25-13 01:51 AM
    Good idea!

Posted via CB10
    JR A likes this.
    03-25-13 03:01 AM
    After the user picks a preset message to send, would they then proceed with the usual swipe (is it up?) to end the call? or by tapping on the text message, would that send it to the recipient? I'm just wondering whether it would help people avoid sending a text accidentally when they actually wanted to just deny the call outright. Also, perhaps an option to send an email (to the associated address on the contact entry) might be helpful for landlines and non-cell phone numbers?
    03-25-13 10:44 AM
    After the user picks a preset message to send, would they then proceed with the usual swipe (is it up?) to end the call? or by tapping on the text message, would that send it to the recipient? I'm just wondering whether it would help people avoid sending a text accidentally when they actually wanted to just deny the call outright. Also, perhaps an option to send an email (to the associated address on the contact entry) might be helpful for landlines and non-cell phone numbers?
    I have thought about the concerns you bring up a lot in the past.

First, I think if the user has the option to ignore the call upon sending the text message and also being able to send a text message and then manually swipe up to ignore the call would give the user flexibility. For the sake of simplicity however, I think the call should be ignored upon sending the text message. In reality, it would be hard to send a caller a text message on purpose because the user would have to swipe left/right, then tap a message. And even if the user changes their mind, they can just hit a "cancel" button and go back to the incoming call screen. It's no more a risk of accidentally sending a text message as it is accidentally accepting/ignoring a call.

Also, regarding the option to send an email for those on a landline/non-cell phone... I think that is a non issue for two reasons. 1. Most people communicate via cell phone and 2. If they're calling from a landline that doesn't mean they'll be near a computer, so even if you did send them a text they most likely won't see it til much later and defeating the purpose. Perhaps in the future if there is a high enough demand for an email feature then yeah, integrate it. But for the most part, sending a preset text will do the job just fine.
    00stryder likes this.
    03-25-13 11:33 AM
    On my Bold 9930, I have an app "Call Blocker Pro" that does this automatically. Are there any apps like this for BB10?
    03-25-13 11:39 AM
    Isn't this something Toast was supposed to do?
    03-25-13 11:53 AM
    On my Bold 9930, I have an app "Call Blocker Pro" that does this automatically. Are there any apps like this for BB10?
    The trouble I had with apps like these was the fact that it did it automatically.

This is for times when I don't want to block a person, but when I'm preoccupied and can't take their call I want to be able to let them know why. And I don't want to have to deal with a "black list" or "white list" of contacts that I need to update all the time especially since sometimes I can take a person's call and times when I can't take that same person's call.
    03-25-13 12:13 PM
    Awesome idea!

Posted via CB10
    JR A likes this.
    03-25-13 12:27 PM
    Isn't this something Toast was supposed to do?
    I don't think so.
    03-25-13 04:33 PM
    Pretty sweet idea.

Try posting this on the BlackBerry 10 Beta Zone boards on the BlackBerry Beta Zone. The forums are moderated by employees. Probably a higher chance someone sees this.
    03-25-13 04:38 PM
    ^ Good idea
    03-25-13 05:05 PM
    I work with real estate agents and I can tell you they would love this as a feature!

Posted via CB10
    ErinnM and JR A like this.
    03-25-13 06:56 PM
    I work with real estate agents and I can tell you they would love this as a feature!

Posted via CB10
    Yup!
    03-25-13 07:58 PM
    Good idea but you swipe down to answer not ignore
    JR A likes this.
    03-25-13 08:03 PM
    Any type of sales rep would love this feature!!
    JR A likes this.
    03-25-13 08:10 PM
    Good idea but you swipe down to answer not ignore
    Good catch, lol
    03-25-13 08:11 PM
    Any type of sales rep would love this feature!!
    Yeah, and pretty much anyone that leads/manages people.
    Vorkosigan and crohns like this.
    03-25-13 08:13 PM
    Great idea
    JR A likes this.
    03-26-13 09:48 PM
    Wow good idea!

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    JR A likes this.
    03-26-13 09:53 PM
    Thanks!

I don't even have my Z10 yet Enjoy your new phones!
    03-26-13 11:19 PM
47 12