Hi,

First of all I'm new at this forum and new at the Blackberry scene. I live in the Netherlands and I am a teenager. In the Netherlands Blackberry's are kind of the ****. Every teenager who can afford one has one, that's how I came in touch with Blackberry's.

Anyway, I found a 'cheap' subscription for the new Blackberry Bold 9780. The only problem is that you can only use 1 GB per month. Is that much? Because I will have internet on all the time. (I mean using 'Ping' and bertwitter) and sometimes the internet. So I want to know if I could make it with one GB.
    Do you guys know that?

Thanks!
    12-11-10 01:17 PM
    First of all Welcome to CrackBerry.com

As long as you don't do things like constantly stream radio, YouTube or use GPS
    a lot you will be fine I think. Also, avail yourself to WiFi whenever you can and that
    will help cut down on your BB data plan usage a lot. Good luck.
    12-11-10 01:26 PM
    First of all Welcome to CrackBerry.com

As long as you don't do things like constantly stream radio, YouTube or use GPS
    a lot you will be fine I think. Also, avail yourself to WiFi whenever you can and that
    will help cut down on your BB data plan usage a lot. Good luck.
    Thanks!
    But is it right you are constantly connected to the internet? Does that cost memory too? ;O
    12-11-10 01:30 PM
    Being constantly connected to the internet is sort of a misstatement. The internet
    is always available but until you call on the browser to actually do something it is
    simply "resident". This is very different from "running" as running will consume
    memory and count against your data plan.

Resident is just sitting there waiting for you to call on it and affects nothing really.
    12-11-10 01:50 PM
    As was mentioned, if you stream music, video, etc a lot, and/or send a bunch of pics, video, files back and forth over the various IM/email options, you may be at risk of going over the limit. Just browsing the web, chatting, etc shouldn't use too terribly much at all.
    12-11-10 02:08 PM
    It will be very hard to go over 1gb on a BB since the data is compressed. Like they said above those are the only ways to use a lot of data by streaming videos, music, or using it for tethering. The most data Ive used is around 500mb and usually top around 200mb for the month.
    12-11-10 02:25 PM
    As AG said, wifi is your friend. Where I work there is no wifi, so Im literally on mine 8 hrs a day, 20 days a month, and I have a 2GB package and have never run over.
    12-11-10 02:55 PM
    Repeating what others have said, use wi-fi when possible. Cuts down on the data usage.
    12-11-10 10:55 PM
    Use wi-fi when possible if you need try installing network traffic control. This will tell you how much data you've used on the network and wi-fi separately.

Main thing is don't watch too much youtube and don't stream music
    12-12-10 01:05 AM
    Is it important to say also that don't forget to turn off your wifi when you're not at home/school (or anywhere you won't be using wifi) because of any potential battery drain?

I hope you enjoy your BlackBerry
    12-12-10 05:10 AM
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies!

Okay, so the data is compressed on a bb so that comes in handy for sure. On my school and at home there is wifi and that's where I am the most so that's great too! I'm not going to stream stuff or download it via a Blackberry, I can use my iPod Touch for that. So I'm good hehe! :P

Thanks guys!
    12-12-10 08:43 AM
    If you are on WiFi, you can stream and download all that you want. WiFi useage does not count against your dataplan. Just beware, if your WiFi connection is weak and/or drops in the middle of streaming or a download, you'll default to your cellular dataplan. If this is a possibility, turn off your cellular network before any large downloading our streaming.
    12-12-10 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD