Realistically, Blackberry and Smartphones in general are phones that are geared around the Internet. AT&T is taking a stance to enforce that all smartphones will be required to have the unlimited data package for them, particularly for one reason: To avoid unexpected usage on you're cell phone bill. When the browser on a smartphone starts using the internet without a plan, the cost to use it is extraordinary which leads to a lot of unhappy customers. Customer who are only wanting something like a blackberry for the qwerty keyboard and calendar needs to consider that a blackberry may not be the right phone for them; perhaps one of the many quick messaging devices AT&T allows would be a better suitable phone for you. It's the same thing as the iPhone - iPhone from day 1 requires the $30 package for internet, no iff's and's or but's about it; this is just AT&T's way of bringing the other phones up to speed for the same reason the iPhone required it.
    10-09-09 01:50 PM
    so u mean to say one shouldnt buy a pc if he doesnt use internet? PC=internet huh?
    No I am saying that with a BlackBerry with out a data plan is kind of dumb since for the fact, the bb is meant for push email and communicating. Let's not even start about the whole pc with out the internet..

Also as mentioned a computer in general is not designed to be an internet box but the Operating System is what will designate what it is meant to be.. Besides what was already listed, they can be configured to be a router, firewall, file server, update server, domain controller, software development, video editing, even cd/dvd/hd/bluray duplicating and recording music as well as gaming.. So your argument above is invalid.

Blackberries as noted their os and hardware was designed to be an internet/email/communication device. The iPhone is designed to be an internet/communication device along with Window Mobile and Google's Android.. Tell me that you can run an iPhone with out Apple's data plan?? I remember when the iPhone first came out, Att had made customers have a data plan, which is why I don't see a problem with all carriers including att to require a data plan for their bb and other smart phones. Plus which is why I stated if you don't want a data plan, get a dumb phone or a phone that is meant for texting and talking with a full qwerty keyboard because it sounds like you are not going to use the BB to what it was meant to be used for... When I got my first bb, I thought it was too much for me and I would never use all of the features because I thought the data plan was not worth it... But since I started to use all the features, I cannot go back and $ 30 a month is worth it for me to keep using all the features the bb was originally intended to do!

Just my opinion,
    Charlie
    Last edited by dmnall; 10-09-09 at 02:07 PM.
    10-09-09 02:05 PM
    I think more people should actually read their contracts. Many would be surprised to see what they signed off on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-09 04:31 PM
    What does it matter... if you get a BlackBerry you need Data plan.. it should be forced I mean a BlackBerry isnt just a normal phone its a smartphone that has a lot of capabilitis with data... if you dont use them then its putting the blackberry name to shame please dont do that
    10-09-09 09:41 PM
    blackberry with or without data has been an ongoing debate.. One thing we fail to realize is that, if a person choose to do whatever they want with their phone. Let them be, it's their money not yours. We need to quit telling people, if they don't want a blackberry with data, get a dumb phone. It's not like they are spending your money.
    10-09-09 11:48 PM
    I think more people should actually read their contracts. Many would be surprised to see what they signed off on.

may be u r true..
    may be in a year or two, people would have to carry a dictionary with to understand the meaning of the lawyers words they use in the contract at the time of sign up in the store, or may be a lawyer friend itself..
    10-10-09 08:01 AM
    blackberry with or without data has been an ongoing debate.. One thing we fail to realize is that, if a person choose to do whatever they want with their phone. Let them be, it's their money not yours. We need to quit telling people, if they don't want a blackberry with data, get a dumb phone. It's not like they are spending your money.
    how true u r.. this is a democracy dammit.. u cannt tell or "teach" me what the phone should be used for or not.. its my choice, i may take a bb just bcoz i like the look, who is att to tell me what i should use it for..
    10-10-09 08:04 AM
    how true u r.. this is a democracy dammit.. u cannt tell or "teach" me what the phone should be used for or not.. its my choice, i may take a bb just bcoz i like the look, who is att to tell me what i should use it for..
    ATT isn't telling you how to use your phone, only that you have to have data on it.
    10-10-09 08:37 AM
    ATT isn't telling you how to use your phone, only that you have to have data on it.
    ya take the data.. and do what with that? make a indian style curry out of it? or chinese style noodles? no, to use it to surf the net, email, IM right?
    off course they are telling to use their data by paying for it.. any fool can understand that...
    10-10-09 07:45 PM
    My sister-in-law just got a Curve 8900 on AT&T. She said she can cancel her data plan after one month. She only uses it for the phone and texting. She had my brother's old Curve before that so she is used to the blackberry.

10-10-09 07:59 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD