Every month more evidence piles up, suggesting that online comment threads and forums are being hijacked by people who aren't what they seem. ...

fake grassroots campaigns that create the impression that large numbers of people are demanding or opposing particular policies. ...

The internet is a wonderful gift, but it's also a bonanza for corporate lobbyists, viral marketers and government spin doctors, who can operate in cyberspace without regulation, accountability or fear of detection. ...
    The need to protect the internet from 'astroturfing' grows ever more urgent | George Monbiot | Environment | guardian.co.uk
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 07-13-12 at 09:19 AM.
    lnichols, grover5, shaleem and 6 others like this.
    07-12-12 12:13 PM
    That was a very interesting read!
    07-12-12 12:30 PM
    Thank you deRusett, I am reminded of two popular culture quotations:

Listen, and understand! That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead. ...
    Follow the money. ...
    Thunderbuck and shaleem like this.
    07-12-12 01:37 PM
    07-12-12 03:44 PM
    Very sad. Makes you wonder with so many vocal RIM haters here.......
    07-12-12 04:27 PM
    Undoubtedly we have our share of astroturfers, and root them out when time allows between spam and forum fights. If the real members could bring themselves to show some restraint we could probably find time to get rid of many more.
    07-12-12 04:44 PM
    Very sad. Makes you wonder with so many vocal RIM haters here.......
    What's even sadder is that I don't think a lot of them around here are getting paid... They are actually wasting their own time to come here and troll...
    07-12-12 08:08 PM
    Undoubtedly we have our share of astroturfers, and root them out when time allows between spam and forum fights. If the real members could bring themselves to show some restraint we could probably find time to get rid of many more.
    Guilty! I know that I can get testy at times with some who have posted here. I will endeavor to show more restraint from here on out. That's a promise.
    07-13-12 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD