NSA Secrets - The Washington Post

"THE LATEST: The National Security Agency is gathering nearly 5 billion records a day on the whereabouts of cellphones around the world, according to top-secret documents and interviews with U.S. intelligence officials, enabling the agency to track the movements of individuals � and map their relationships � in ways that would have been previously unimaginable.

THE BIG STORY: Documents provided to The Washington Post and the British newspaper The Guardian have revealed new details about surveillance programs carried out by the National Security Agency. Stories based on those documents have also triggered public debates in the United States and overseas about privacy and civil liberties........"
    12-04-13 07:47 PM
    NSA Secrets - The Washington Post

"THE LATEST: The National Security Agency is gathering nearly 5 billion records a day on the whereabouts of cellphones around the world, according to top-secret documents and interviews with U.S. intelligence officials, enabling the agency to track the movements of individuals � and map their relationships � in ways that would have been previously unimaginable.

THE BIG STORY: Documents provided to The Washington Post and the British newspaper The Guardian have revealed new details about surveillance programs carried out by the National Security Agency. Stories based on those documents have also triggered public debates in the United States and overseas about privacy and civil liberties........"
    I can attest to this, a couple days ago, I got a strange phone call, a few months ago, I Googled a friend from University on my Android Device trying to locate them. In that call, the individual said to me they knew I Googled his name (my university friend) (to my shock and anger) and they wanted to know if I knew him ,or if I was him and if I knew where to contact him.Somebody is either selling info to third parties through the Internet Browser or collecting information on individuals. When I recalled the number it turned out to be a collection agency that was "offshore", I informed them that the collection of my phone number through the browser search was illegal, they quickly apologized and hung up.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 08:44 PM
    This is serious stuff and not enough people are outraged by it.
    I want to see BlackBerry lead the way on being the anti-NSA, pro-privacy device maker. I think they clearly already are, but imagine a marketing campaign designed around this? It might have a decently wide appeal, because it's a space where iOS and android can't compete at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    midnightdoom and R Field like this.
    12-04-13 08:51 PM
    If you connect your BlackBerry to a public cell network, then the network, and agencies they cooperate with, know where your phone is. This is part of the normal operation of cell networks.

Doesn't a normal BlackBerry (on BES or not) check into cell networks exactly the same way other phones do in order to make and receive the same normal phone calls that every other phones does? (Including emergency calls)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    12-04-13 09:03 PM
    Apparently the only way to have privacy anymore is to live in the woods...
    kbz1960 and bbq10l like this.
    12-04-13 09:10 PM
    I knew there was a reason the "location" icon kept appearing on my Z10...

Hi NSA!
    neteng1000, m1kr0, mjdimer and 1 others like this.
    12-05-13 01:10 AM
    With the amount of storage servers are capable of storing. It's feasible to do this easily. They might not be checking one by one with a man. But computer algorithms are checking for keywords and phrases to alert human overlords.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-05-13 01:24 AM
    People have got to stop with the NSA garbage. Every nation does it. It's standard intelligence protocol. The only reason its an issue is because it's the big, bad US of A.

(Well, I guess I understand why foreigners may be upset, though, it'd still really be a double standard. But, if you are an American, you definitely shouldn't be incensed by the NSA.)
    12-05-13 01:25 AM
    People have got to stop with the NSA garbage. Every nation does it. It's standard intelligence protocol. The only reason its an issue is because it's the big, bad US of A.

(Well, I guess I understand why foreigners may be upset, though, it'd still really be a double standard. But, if you are an American, you definitely shouldn't be incensed by the NSA.)
    Just because everyone does it... doesn't make it anymore right...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    bbq10l likes this.
    12-05-13 01:31 AM

As an American I do have a problem with it. We have privacy laws that our constitution and bill of rights gives us, which they are trying to put them into the shredder and using terrorism as an excuse.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    JR A and bbq10l like this.
    12-05-13 03:17 AM
    Is it feasible to start running through a private / personal trusted BES service? If you're communicating BlackBerry BES to BlackBerry BES you're basically untouchable, no? Can someone with some BES background provide info on how hard this would be / costs?

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 03:30 AM
    As an American I do have a problem with it. We have privacy laws that our constitution and bill of rights gives us, which they are trying to put them into the shredder and using terrorism as an excuse.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    As a Canadian, I have a problem with an American spy agency with a budget equivalent to the CIA that is dedicated to internet data harvesting and personal info hacking and ZERO restrictions on targeting any non-Americans for any purpose whatsoever. Of COURSE that info will end up in the black market, that's the only market that will pay for it. Americans are outraged that CITIZENS are being targeted, but the rest of the world should be appalled that the USA spends so much on these ridiculous levels of useless (and yes it is useless) spying, yet refuses to balance it's own damn budget. Meanwhile the federal reserve bank buys the debt, degrades the US dollar, inflates food prices,and puts poor people around the world closer to starvation....okay, sorry...rant off now.

Posted via CB10
    midnightdoom likes this.
    12-05-13 03:42 AM
    As a Canadian, I have a problem with an American spy agency with a budget equivalent to the CIA that is dedicated to internet data harvesting and personal info hacking and ZERO restrictions on targeting any non-Americans for any purpose whatsoever. Of COURSE that info will end up in the black market, that's the only market that will pay for it. Americans are outraged that CITIZENS are being targeted, but the rest of the world should be appalled that the USA spends so much on these ridiculous levels of useless (and yes it is useless) spying, yet refuses to balance it's own damn budget. Meanwhile the federal reserve bank buys the debt, degrades the US dollar, inflates food prices,and puts poor people around the world closer to starvation....okay, sorry...rant off now.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, but in their defense Harper is doing the same thing to us with (I forget the initials) our version of NSA. And is prepared to spend another 4 billion of tax payer money to hire people to monitor Facebook, youtube, forums etc soon. They also have a deal with America to give out our hospital records as one lady was recently denied access to new York (to catch a Xmas cruise) because she used to have depression years back. So while I disagree what NSA is doing, Canada is too. "The five eyes" USA, Canada, UK, Australia, new Zealand, they all share information together.

An article on the lady
    http://rt.com/usa/dhs-canada-depression-richardson-495/

An article with more detail of the 24/7 monitoring
    http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/1.2445224

A petition if you disagree
    https://openmedia.ca/ourprivacy

Posted via CB10
    JR A likes this.
    12-05-13 04:24 AM
    Nobody can 'lead the way in being anti-NSA' lol. At this moment in time the American government is the most powerful entity in the entire western world and nothing Canada has to offer is no match for it lol. That said, I feel much safer using a BlackBerry than any other kind of phone.
    12-05-13 05:10 AM
    Is it feasible to start running through a private / personal trusted BES service? If you're communicating BlackBerry BES to BlackBerry BES you're basically untouchable, no? Can someone with some BES background provide info on how hard this would be / costs?
    BES is irrelevant for this - what they are talking about can be done with ALL phones. What's being tracked is your LOCATION, which can easily be done by the carriers with ANY cell phone to a rough degree (cell tower triangulation), but given that most phones have GPS, it can be done with great precision these days. And by collecting that information from virtually everyone, and looking at the records over time, they can figure out who you communicate with, who you travel with, who you meet, etc.

Now, generally, this data goes into storage and nothing is done with it. BUT, when you have a situation like the Boston Marathon bombers, they start using that information to track suspects' movements, and try to figure out where they were, who they met, and what they were doing.

Basically, if your phone has a SIM in it and is powered on (or for a CDMA phone, just powered on), it will be in communication with the cell network, and can be tracked. Cell phones have always been that way, but with built-in GPS, the precision of the data (and therefore it's usefulness) has gone up.

Is this cause for concern? Sure, a reasonable amount. But right now, unless you are a suspected terrorist or big-time criminal, it's pretty unlikely that anything at all is being done with your data. The truth is that NSA simply doesn't care that much about YOU unless you get on a "most wanted" list for some reason.

It's also important to understand that having a BB, even a BB on BES, does not mean that you are somehow anonymous and untraceable. You are still on the cellular network, your phone calls are unencrypted, your SMS/MMS messages are unencrypted, and your phone's location can still be tracked. Really, only BBM and inter-office corporate emails are "secure" in any reasonable sense of the word, and even that does require BES, or some alternative, like Samsung Knox.
    12-05-13 05:12 AM
    How does the NSA get the location information from foreign carriers?

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 06:53 AM
    ::Turns off location services::

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and m1kr0 like this.
    12-05-13 07:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    Untouchable, are you serious? Not at all. When you send an email outside of the BES it is sent as plain text, could be formatted as html but not encrypted is the point. Just cause your semi protected, your recipients aren't and your information, email address at least, is clearly visible to the NSA. Your phone calls, not protected at all either. Your browsing habits, yep you guessed it, visible to the websites, so visible to the NSA.
    m1kr0 likes this.
    12-05-13 07:07 AM
    I said BES To BES if you didn't notice...and I said 'communicating'...not surfing...

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 05:45 PM
    Also, is it legal for app makers to make apps that will fuzz or fake locations via the GPS on all other apps that have location services on? If it's legal I'd pay for one that is easy to switch on and off just to f*ck with nsa.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 05:51 PM
    Orwell was a political prophet.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 06:02 PM
    This is not important at all, unless you are a terrorist, kidnapper, bank robber or involved in other criminal activities you have nothing to worry about.

You release more information about your self using facebook and Google than the NSA could ever collect.

Tin foil hats anyone?

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 06:45 PM
    I understand Canadian government is doing sort of same thing & getting information from NSA as well. I strongly oppose these movement even though I'm not committing any crime. Do you know in US, once suspect terrorist, you could be detained indefinitely without trial. They don't have to provide any explanation. Just like old witch hunt, someone doesn't like you & tell someone you are behaving suspiciously. Now you are suspected terrorist. Your old data could be used against you then. Doesn't matter how innocent they are. It's all about how they interprete data.
    Thank you for reading

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 08:52 PM
    This is not important at all, unless you are a terrorist, kidnapper, bank robber or involved in other criminal activities you have nothing to worry about.

You release more information about your self using facebook and Google than the NSA could ever collect.

Tin foil hats anyone?

Posted via CB10
    Not important at all? Just for the fa t of collecting your data they can tell everything about you. If they can do it so can other companies. Again, why is it important? Simple with that information someone can gather your credit card details, social security number, insurance and anything else.

I'm not a criminal or anything else but I'd rather they come up to me or ask for my information or, as you are supposed to do, get a warrant to search through my information.

Oh, by the way if you have the know how on how to hack Internet enabled devices you can even spy on them through webcam without them realizing it.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 09:07 PM

Tin foil hats anyone?

Posted via CB10
    You're dangerously naive.

Posted via CB10
    JR A likes this.
    12-06-13 09:55 AM
34 12