Math Advances Raise the Prospect of an Internet Security Crisis | MIT Technology Review

I stumbled on this article. If the RSA encryption is broken, BBRY has a huge advantage with ECC since they own the patent. This is something that BBRY needs to leverage.

Would love to see an article on Crackberry on this important issue.
    anon(3310921), ryanza and Corbu like this.
    08-08-13 01:25 PM
    Nice find, and a greate opportunity for BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 01:30 PM
    Nice article. BB +1
    08-08-13 01:40 PM
    marlowe9810....thanks for this article link....highlights some huge implications and opportunities for blackberry....i just referenced it on a seeking alpha post for others to digest....i
    08-08-13 02:27 PM
    Very interesting. . .what I don't get is why should BlackBerry feel obligated to make the tech openly available for anyone? You know the potential thereat and you see the solution . . .you pay for the use of the solution . .. period. You can't afford it? Negotiate. . .
    08-08-13 03:01 PM
    Very interesting. . .what I don't get is why should BlackBerry feel obligated to make the tech openly available for anyone? You know the potential thereat and you see the solution . . .you pay for the use of the solution . .. period. You can't afford it? Negotiate. . .
    Thanks for the article, OP. Great read.

From the sound of it, if BBRY may not have a choice eventually if the other two encryption methods fail. The article suggested that the US government might get rid of the patents to protect national security.

It makes sense, but sucks for BBRY. So they'll have to move quickly to secure licensing deals before any forceful overturning occurs. Of course, potential licensees could simply sit back and wait for the govt., but depending on the information they're protecting they may not have that luxury.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    08-08-13 03:46 PM
    I think the best way to leverage the technology is to open it up to the Financial Services on a free basis. This will force all other industries to adopt and BBRY can begin licensing to everyone else. Somebody in Waterloo HQ needs to get on this fast.
    00stryder likes this.
    08-08-13 04:39 PM
    I think the best way to leverage the technology is to open it up to the Financial Services on a free basis. This will force all other industries to adopt and BBRY can begin licensing to everyone else. Somebody in Waterloo HQ needs to get on this fast.
    Good idea, and the best way for us to get BBRY's attention (at the C-level anyway) is to alert Kevin and Co. so they can use their channels to notify Heins. I'm pretty sure they're aware of this though, just hope they do something about it.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    08-08-13 11:05 PM
    Nice post.

I don't remember exactly when and where it was said but I'm sure Heins said something about there being a time coming in the not too distant future when currently used security would be defeated and BlackBerry would offer the security safe haven needed.

I'm sure that he said this shortly before the world launch of the Z10.

I don't have a link to post but if I find it I will post it.

Security is one of the key factors that keeps BlackBerry relevant today and in the future.
    08-08-13 11:48 PM
    From the sound of it, if BBRY may not have a choice eventually if the other two encryption methods fail. The article suggested that the US government might get rid of the patents to protect national security.
    Francisco d'Anconia agrees.
    08-09-13 12:00 AM