Don?t be fooled by nostalgia: Running back to BlackBerry is still a mistake

Read more: Leaving iOS for BlackBerry is Like Selling a Car to Buy a Horse | Digital Trends
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 07-19-14 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Explicative deleted.
    07-19-14 05:31 AM
    I remember going from a bold to an iPhone 4 and it was the biggest step backwards ever. Like going from a jet plane to carrier pigeon.. But the pigeon could have at least carried multiple attachments to messages.....
    07-19-14 05:35 AM
    When someone talks about stock price in a device review, that's when you know it's personal..
    07-19-14 05:35 AM
    This is the battle that BlackBerry has in front of them from the tech media. The Passport and Classic will most likely not be well received in general. There are going to be some scathing reviews because it's a BlackBerry and because it's a form factor that will not appeal to the masses.

Z10
    07-19-14 05:40 AM
    I remember going from a bold to an iPhone 4 and it was the biggest step backwards ever. Like going from a jet plane to carrier pigeon.. But the pigeon could have at least carried multiple attachments to messages.....
    HA! Multiple attachments. You slay me sir. But seriously yeah. How enterprise conscious can Apple be if they haven't implemented that yet? SMH

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 05:48 AM
    The negative reaction, if there is any, will mostly be directed towards the decision to remove numbers and punctuation from the primary physical keyboard along with the three-row versus traditional four-row keyboard layout as a potential secondary contender. The form-factor of the BlackBerry Passport is not terrible but if it deviates from the physical dimensions (length and width) of a paper passport the name will be ridiculed much as was the BlackBerry "PlayBook" sports metaphor for a "professional-grade" tablet as it was initially touted.
    Q10Bold, lift, DrBoomBotz and 1 others like this.
    07-19-14 05:52 AM
    Now we know Andy Boxall has something against BlackBerry.
    The guy's "arguments" are pitiful and his meanness implies that the buzz is totally fake (anonymous people saying that the passport will be their next device).
    One thing this 'expert' can't stand is the lack of naming for BlackBerry's assistant (you can see the depth of his reflexion).
    By the way Andy, it's really not 2008 anymore so you could drop iOS even after it outrageously ripped some BB10's features off , time to get a real smart phone with an efficient assistant.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 06:01 AM
    I have used an iPhone since the first model and I went back to Blackberry because it's geared more towards what I use my device for which is messaging, email, social media and occasionally looking up something on the web.

Features like the hub, peek and gesturing are features I now find myself not being able to live without. The hub is a unique feature that has become a valuable tool and makes me more productive.

I know allot of the younger folks today use their device for everything from banking, social media, web surfing, music and videos, but there is still a niche group out there who prefers a solid device that serves as a good productive tool.

I think Blackberry will never have the market share they once had, but they will have enough of a following to allow them to release a couple of devices a year and still make money and for me, that's all I can ask for.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    07-19-14 06:53 AM
    I never really understand anyone writing with such venom about a phone. It's just downright weird, especially one no one has used yet.

The implication though is that some people ARE considering moving, and he doesn't like it. If they weren't there'd be no need for the article, BlackBerry could just be ignored. Think about it...

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 06:58 AM
    I think talking crap about BlackBerry gets you visits, and that's what they're counting on.
    07-19-14 07:05 AM
    Anytime the momentum turns for the better and there are a lot of positive articles and things being said about the new phones someone who has had a bad personal experience with the brand in the past or someone who has never even used one is always going to be the first to bash. Actually I get quite the opposite here. I would say this guy may be a little threatened.

Being that there is more buzz about these two phones then I've seen in a long time out of blackberry, he just wants to try to rain on our parade. This kind of hatred always makes me laugh

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 07:31 AM
    Some media manage to make it a culture of negativity towards BlackBerry. It's like the Justin Bieber of phones These media has no retribution from printing anything negative as long as they go with the flow. One hope that the Passport indeed is the hit the company needs and the same bashers will change their tunes without even changing their soiled underwear with a straight face.
    DJM626 and acovey like this.
    07-19-14 07:34 AM
    One positive thing that i can make out of this article is that the Passport is going to replace a lot of iPhones.
    That author is just intimidated by Passport.
    07-19-14 07:50 AM
    I read the article hoping to read why is it still a mistake going for a BlackBerry and didn't find the reason from the author. He was blabbering about this and that without getting to the point of the title. Waste of my time reading that.
    BerryRipe, eldricho, moody and 5 others like this.
    07-19-14 07:58 AM
    I have used an iPhone since the first model and I went back to Blackberry because it's geared more towards what I use my device for which is messaging, email, social media and occasionally looking up something on the web.

Features like the hub, peek and gesturing are features I now find myself not being able to live without. The hub is a unique feature that has become a valuable tool and makes me more productive.

I know allot of the younger folks today use their device for everything from banking, social media, web surfing, music and videos, but there is still a niche group out there who prefers a solid device that serves as a good productive tool.

I think Blackberry will never have the market share they once had, but they will have enough of a following to allow them to release a couple of devices a year and still make money and for me, that's all I can ask for.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    You mentioned that you occasionally use the web. This is striking to me.

Last month I used 80 gigs on T-Mobile ( file transfers/ torrents). I use calling the least. I have 5 Google accounts and 1 Windows. The smartphone for me is primarily a internet portal.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    07-19-14 08:04 AM
    How much is apple paying this guy to write this? He obviously doesn't know what BlackBerry is all about

Z10
    Intense Soul and Frehley like this.
    07-19-14 08:07 AM
    Some media manage to make it a culture of negativity towards BlackBerry. It's like the Justin Bieber of phones These media has no retribution from printing anything negative as long as they go with the flow. One hope that the Passport indeed is the hit the company needs and the same bashers will change their tunes without even changing their soiled underwear with a straight face.

That's why I think the Passport is a risky device...a device like that could either be a savior in some sense or absolutely dig the company's grave. I think a REALLY high end touch would have been a better option.

I'm not a fan of the Passport, and I'm afraid the media won't be either. And I'm afraid they'll mock the buttons on the Classic. These were risky devices to pump out, especially with no flagship touch on the horizon
    07-19-14 08:08 AM
    That's why I think the Passport is a risky device...a device like that could either be a savior in some sense or absolutely dig the company's grave. I think a REALLY high end touch would have been a better option.

I'm not a fan of the Passport, and I'm afraid the media won't be either. And I'm afraid they'll mock the buttons on the Classic. These were risky devices to pump out, especially with no flagship touch on the horizon
    100% agree.

They could release a device like the passport when they are in a competing position I guess. But now they need badly to gain market share and business niche is not going to help as much as targeting and catering for consumers

Please join my photography channel
    lift and H_O_Boomaye like this.
    07-19-14 08:22 AM
    100% agree.

They could release a device like the passport when they are in a competing position I guess. But now they need badly to gain market share and business niche is not going to help as much as targeting and catering for consumers

Please join my photography channel
    What would you have them release instead, then? Most people aren't interested in BlackBerry all-touch devices, as they see them as either 'Android without Google Play' or 'iPhone without the prestige'. The only strength BlackBerry has left in the marketplace is that nobody has yet bettered them at the things they do well. Their only hope is to play to those strengths.
    07-19-14 08:32 AM
    Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Posted via CB10
    jc likes this.
    07-19-14 08:38 AM
    The Passport is getting a lot of attention, a good thing, even the negative (unwarranted) articles will help, especially this one, it is so full of opinion anyone with sense will see right through it. The obvious error with this article is that the writer hasn't even used the device, how can you have such hate for something without ever having used the device, or even seen it in person, or handled it.....makes me angry.

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Kitchener (Canada)
    slagman5, shaleem and spyeagle like this.
    07-19-14 08:54 AM

100% disagree.

Step back for a moment. The competatively priced, all-touch Z3 is currently launching in emerging markets around the globe. The Passport -- a touch & keyboard hybrid with new formfactor & keyboard layout -- is launching in September. The Classic -- a touch & keyboard hybrid with the traditional Berry footprint -- is launching next year.

The Passport is not intendened to take back 30% of the marketshare in one fell swoop.

This is a ground game: continue to become competative in all-touch, intoduce an innovative qwerty, launch a more traditional qwerty, and then probably launch an updated high-end touch (or maybe 2). These things are in the pipeline in this order for good reasons. This is a business model for growth: This is not a "one Super Bowl add must save us" device.
    07-19-14 09:31 AM
    This boy Andy needs help.
    Q10Bold, digitalman101 and web99 like this.
    07-19-14 09:32 AM

Like they have not done that before BB10 was launch. Calling it a vapor ware. And the pile on continues when Z10 and Q10 were launch. Not to mention the dissolving of the company by looking for buyers. The company already at risk since 2 years ago. The media can't spin it any worse than they already did. There's a thing call fatigue in the media that eventually the readers will no longer pay attention when the same old tune is being sung over and over again. Think of Celine Dion and My Heart Will Go On. There's only so many times one can tolerate the song. We know that' there's no integrity with many of these blog sites when it comes to true journalistic value. Even if Passport is a piece of crap, which it isn't. If the timing or the trend that needs to be positive. These media will spin it positive just to stay current and relevant.
    07-19-14 09:55 AM
    He need help.

Posted via Q10Bold
    iBelieveInBB likes this.
    07-19-14 10:01 AM
432 123 ...