Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Very good article on the global market view of these two.

Where is BlackBerry in all of this though? That Z3 needs to continue being pushed or people will leave whatever OS7 devices they have left. While we're at it.... since everyone and their mother has a smartphone, how is it that prices for smartphones have not come down? Would that not be an argument to make FOR the Passport to be affordable? The market... she's an irrational byatch!

From LinkedIn:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/artic...t-list-large_0
    09-19-14 08:44 PM
    BB is in a different war that doesnt involve apple or google. They are doing pretty good in their war I think
    eduzojordan and TgeekB like this.
    09-19-14 09:05 PM
    This article, like many others that have come before it, seems to completely misunderstand Apple's business model - they are not chasing the low-end market. Even the "low-end" 5C they put out is hardly a cheap phone, but it's been selling insanely well. They aim to continue winning over the high-end market, the way they've been doing for quite a few years now. There are certain risks associated with such a business plan, but there's no such thing as a risk-free business, and this plan's been working out pretty damn well for them so far.

BlackBerry, on the other hand, is indeed chasing the low-end market with the Z3, and Android One might be troubling for them, but it's difficult to say for sure. The Z3 is more expensive than Android One models, but also has better specs if I remember rightly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on either count). This raises a question - are the phones actually targeting different market segments? Or will people who would have previously put aside additional money for a Z3 going to opt for a cheaper Android One phone instead, despite the specs? I can't answer that, and frankly I doubt anyone can with certainty - but that's exactly why BlackBerry should keep a close eye on Android One.

As for why prices on smartphones haven't come down, just take a look at the specs of today's low-end phones and compare them to the high-end phones of yesterday. The technology has become cheaper, but new technology has come along to replace it. There's probably a certain element of overcharging simply because companies can, but make no mistake, these devices are expensive to manufacture, market, and sell. The Passport will also have a disadvantage on the economies of scale, so I don't expect it to be any cheaper than prior flagships.
    Last edited by LazyEvul; 09-19-14 at 10:19 PM.
    just_luc and Andy_bb_king like this.
    09-19-14 09:22 PM
    ^ well said

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 10:08 PM
    If losing the war gets you $170B and climbing in cash while the winner does not even have half of that, I rather lose.
    mmcfly23 and NamelessStar like this.
    09-19-14 10:19 PM
    Even the "low-end" 5C they put out is hardly a cheap phone, but it's been selling insanely well..
    I don't have anything to back this up, but everywhere else I've seen the exact opposite?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 11:01 PM
    The article is about hardware war which BBRY is less interested.

I would be more than happy, if BBRY sells 10 million devices in a fiscal and continue to manufacture my next next next BlackBerry phone.

Market share, market growth and profit are all different ball games and not necessarily link one another, like any other business. As it is a cyclic business, smart companies will catch them on up-gradation.
    acovey likes this.
    09-19-14 11:03 PM
    I don't have anything to back this up, but everywhere else I've seen the exact opposite?

Posted via CB10
    I've seen them all over the place here in Toronto, but here's some less anecdotal evidence:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...flagship-in-q4
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...-iphone-market

In fact, I think this article gives a better summary of the 5C sales situation:
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/24/app...a-complex-one/
    09-19-14 11:10 PM
    BlackBerry, on the other hand, is indeed chasing the low-end market with the Z3, and Android One might be troubling for them, but it's difficult to say for sure. The Z3 is more expensive than Android One models, but also has better specs if I remember rightly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on either count). This raises a question - are the phones actually targeting different market segments? Or will people who would have previously put aside additional money for a Z3 going to opt for a cheaper Android One phone instead, despite the specs? I can't answer that, and frankly I doubt anyone can with certainty - but that's exactly why BlackBerry should keep a close eye on Android One.
    Android One costs about $100. Z3 costs almost $300. That's not a small difference in price, the Z3 is almost 3 times more expensive. They're not competing on the same level, and most definitely, they are not competing for the same market segment. That's like saying the Z3 buyers are in the same market segment as buyers of the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. They're not.
    09-19-14 11:31 PM
    I've seen them all over the place here in Toronto, but here's some less anecdotal evidence:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...flagship-in-q4
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...-iphone-market

In fact, I think this article gives a better summary of the 5C sales situation:
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/24/app...a-complex-one/
    Ok I'll read those, thanks

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 11:33 PM
    Very good article on the global market view of these two.

Where is BlackBerry in all of this though? That Z3 needs to continue being pushed or people will leave whatever OS7 devices they have left. While we're at it.... since everyone and their mother has a smartphone, how is it that prices for smartphones have not come down? Would that not be an argument to make FOR the Passport to be affordable? The market... she's an irrational byatch!

From LinkedIn:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/artic...t-list-large_0
    The smartphone industry is still pretty young. I remember reading an article some time in the early 90's that basically said, "the computer you want is always going to be $3500." Each year, computers got better, but because specs got better, prices didn't come down, although prices for last years model would drop significantly. Eventually, the price did drop, but it took some time. Now "the computer you want" is probably less than half that, unless you want a MacBook, in which case, it's still pretty close to $3500.

The smartphone market is still in that phase. The iPhone 3G cost $650 out of contract. Today, you can buy a much better smartphone for $100. Prices did go down, but only for older tech. New tech in smartphones is still priced high.

It took decades for the prices of PCs to drop to where "the computer you want" was no longer $3500. We probably still have a while to go before prices for new high end smartphone parts drop significantly.

I also suspect Apple will be able to maintain it's high prices for the iPhone for quite a while still. Top of the line MacBook is still $2500 plus $700 for upgrades, which puts it awfully close to that $3500 mark.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    09-19-14 11:41 PM
    Android One costs about $100. Z3 costs almost $300. That's not a small difference in price, the Z3 is almost 3 times more expensive. They're not competing on the same level, and most definitely, they are not competing for the same market segment. That's like saying the Z3 buyers are in the same market segment as buyers of the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. They're not.
    Where are you getting the $300 figure from? Highest figure I've seen is $260, though I'm getting around $240 (converted from Rs using Google) from an actual Indian retailer: http://www.flipkart.com/blackberry-z...b_cb&m1k=vb_cb

Having said that, it's still a fair point, the price difference is more significant than I expected, and with better specs it seems justified. Just need to find out if Indian consumers agree.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 11:44 PM
    BB is in a different war that doesnt involve apple or google. They are doing pretty good in their war I think
    This is exactly true. People need to stop worrying about Apple and Google. They are heading in different directions which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    gfondeur likes this.
    09-20-14 07:05 AM
    Apple's bottom line would beg to differ. It is like saying a premium car brand that makes lots of money has lost the war to Kia because they sell way more cars. Apple is making money hand over fist. Technologies like NFC have had poor adoption because Apple wasn't in the game and pushing it, but watch it take off now that they have it. Android devotees have been predicting Apple's demise since the 4s, yet Apple sells more phones year after year. Most third party accessories and apps are developed for the iPhone first. Apple doesn't need to be the market share leader. They let everyone else push technology first for little reason, and they can implement when it is ready and cheaper, and still charge a premium price.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    09-20-14 08:17 AM