Figured I would give my story.....

For starters.. back in the day was that guy with the T-mobile sidekick... then the sidekick II and the eventual sidekick III and LOVED them all.... then Danger made the G1 then sold out... So I moved to Blackberry which was an adjustment but having a keyboard testing and e-mail for 4+ years back when most had Moto Razors and were texting with #keys wasn't that bad just no slide up screen. So I was on the Blackberry Curve 8320 I believe up until the 9700 came out (it was so solid it was ran over by a garbage truck and was still good to go) and I rocked that until I went over to Verizon and was on a 9630. I was on the same BB from Father's Day 2011 to Feb 2013. I picked up a Motorola XOOM tablet for general browsing and what nots.

So upgrade came up and my wife abandoned BB 2 years earlier. Below is my journey to my BB 9930

Feb 2013 - iPhone 5
    Purchased on 2/16 returned on 2/27
    E-mail was HORRIBLE!!!! texting was not friendly and productivity wise it just didn't fit. The lack of physical keys were missed along with a unified inbox. At the end of the day my hand was hurting. So i got a defender case to make it bulkier and it was just a mess.

Feb 2013
    Exchanged iPhone 5 for Samsung Galaxy III
    E-mail and VPN access was great. i was able to do everything except create LONG text and emails... and I couldn't edit quickly. Yes texting and driving was VERY unsafe. the keys and a unified inbox were sorely missed again... so I settled.. it was so much more responsive than my 9630. Then the pre launch for the Q10 was nearing and this was my chance to put my crackberry addition back on front street.

June 2013
    Sold the S3 on Craigslist for more more than what I paid.
    Got back into my 9630 until the Q10 came out.
    Q10 launched and I had it shipped over night to me (Thanks Verizon)

Loved the Q10 until...... I found there was no Pandora, editing was similar to the S3 and a few other make or break apps that were nowhere in site. I tried to side load but that was just to much of a hassle. Just felt it wasn't as polished as I needed it to be. So I sold it on eBay and made a nice profit.. but I ended up right back in the same boat as I was in Feb.

August 2013
    I helped the CEO upgrade to an iPhone earlier this year due to and JVM error on his 9930... I knew i could fix it but he was already thru with Blackberry so he kept it and moved to an iPhone. So I come in and my boss has his BB and said you want it? It just needs to be wiped. So I wiped it and activated it I was in hog Heaven until it rebooted and didn't come back on. Tried EVERYTHING! so was forced to call Verizon and the REPLACED it without question! (yes in 2013) It is a known manufacturer defect... so Monday morning I received a refurbed pretty much brand new Blackberry Bold 9930 and I am LOVING it!

Long story short... if your love your phone don't settle... think about the things that really matter.... to me it was about productivity, alot of e-mail from multiple accounts, light browsing, alot of texting and a TRUELY UNIFIED INBOX along with useful apps like Pandora out side of that.... a bunch of useless apps and minimal battery life are not worth sacrificing productivity.

Before you buy evaluate your need....content consumption vs content creation.

Yall have a great day!

texas319 - Longtime Fan of Crackberry (just my first post)
    Last edited by texas319; 08-06-13 at 12:45 PM.
    pantlesspenguin and tomcat23 like this.
    08-06-13 11:05 AM
    Interesting story!
    08-06-13 11:29 AM
    Good post, interesting perspective! You're right, go with what works for you!

I'm having to carry around a GS4 - for openvpn access - so currently the Q is for CB and texts (though I lost them in the MR update - yes I backed up first and no they never restored... grrrrrr).

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    08-06-13 11:36 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry from one former Sidekick owner to another! I went beyond you and got the Sidekick LX and LX09 . My first BlackBerry was the 9700 in 2009.

Make yourself at home!
    08-06-13 11:49 AM
    I been on CB for a while as a reader I just never posted.... I found that its best to carry my Android Tablet for apps and use my laptop for major stuff.

I read some where years ago about the importance of devices... content creation vs content consumption
    gillcmf likes this.
    08-06-13 12:30 PM
    I would have kept my 9900 if my tried had not dropped a glass of water on it. The screen was damaged. Got it repaired and sold it.
    Got the Z10 and frankly with this I haven't missed my qwerty keyboard.
    I know the Q10 is challenging but the Z10 works very well for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 12:37 PM
    I been on CB for a while as a reader I just never posted.... I found that its best to carry my Android Tablet for apps and use my laptop for major stuff.

I read some where years ago about the importance of devices... content creation vs content consumption
    +1
    for "content creation vs content consumption"

Posted via CB10
    texas319 likes this.
    08-06-13 12:38 PM
    Good post, interesting perspective! You're right, go with what works for you!

I'm having to carry around a GS4 - for openvpn access - so currently the Q is for CB and texts (though I lost them in the MR update - yes I backed up first and no they never restored... grrrrrr).

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    It just isn't feasible for me to carry multiple devices. My job doesn't require me to have a separate phone or anything so when I do my side job, websites, IT stuff the 9930 does what I need it to do.
    08-06-13 12:39 PM
    @tomcat23 - Yea everyone is different. I used to knock my wife for Android addiction but to her she uses her phone for instagram facebook twitter and photo editing and with kiddos she can capture the moments and doctor up the photos. This ultimately made the tablet I bought for her useless... she is 90% content consumption and 10% creation. Which works for her.
    08-06-13 12:43 PM
    So an update.... a year and some change later..... about 4 months after rocking the 9900 I had a work related issue where I needed my phone to have a work related apps so I sold my 9900 which brought a pretty high return. I made my company buy me a phone.... ( you want me to use it for company time you gotta pay for it! ). The ONLY phone on the Verizon market with a keyboard was the Droid 4. I held on to that for almost a year it served its purpose... I like Kim K found myself scouring eBay for another 9900 but resisted the urge as my Droid 4 began to lag and just act up. So my company bought me an iPhone 5s... pretty nifty but is nooooo way close to being a phone that fit my type of productivity... I play 1 game Clash of Clans and that it I dont watch movies... thats why I bought a TV and have triple monitor setup at work for. Now with the Classic coming to Verizon I have switched back the the laggy Droid 4 (for productivity purposes) so when it becomes official this iPhone will find itself on eBay.

I am so anxious I almost (ALMOST) switched to AT&T. I did find out early that my Christmas gift is the Classic when ever it hits VZW!!!!

I will admit I have NEVER seen so many Blackberry haters come out... I tend to do at least 2 Google News searches for "Blackberry Classic" hoping Verizon drops it soon.
    Erik_1991 likes this.
    12-29-14 11:47 AM
    So an update.... a year and some change later..... about 4 months after rocking the 9900 I had a work related issue where I needed my phone to have a work related apps so I sold my 9900 which brought a pretty high return. I made my company buy me a phone.... ( you want me to use it for company time you gotta pay for it! ). The ONLY phone on the Verizon market with a keyboard was the Droid 4. I held on to that for almost a year it served its purpose... I like Kim K found myself scouring eBay for another 9900 but resisted the urge as my Droid 4 began to lag and just act up. So my company bought me an iPhone 5s... pretty nifty but is nooooo way close to being a phone that fit my type of productivity... I play 1 game Clash of Clans and that it I dont watch movies... thats why I bought a TV and have triple monitor setup at work for. Now with the Classic coming to Verizon I have switched back the the laggy Droid 4 (for productivity purposes) so when it becomes official this iPhone will find itself on eBay.

I am so anxious I almost (ALMOST) switched to AT&T. I did find out early that my Christmas gift is the Classic when ever it hits VZW!!!!

I will admit I have NEVER seen so many Blackberry haters come out... I tend to do at least 2 Google News searches for "Blackberry Classic" hoping Verizon drops it soon.
    is verizon cdma?
    12-29-14 01:25 PM
    Hopefully the classic will serve you well! Nice story!

Posted via CB10 for my beloved Z30 running 10.2.2.1609 OR my smaller Z10Tester running 10.3.1.1151
    12-29-14 01:35 PM
    You didn't travel far enough if you ended up with a 9930.

Just kidding, if its the phone you like then use it.
    12-29-14 02:00 PM