So I'm back at it, this one probably wont be a fluid read as I've written it in parts over the last little while, so expect some edits as I find glaring holes, but I figured I'd post my latest Arm chair CEO ramblings.

So Here it goes.

RIM's mission is to release a full family of smartphones that will offer best in class power efficiency, security, data compression, social integration, and smart design.

The family will include.
    Torch - 4.1" all touch & 4.1" portrait slider.
    Bold, 2.8" screen QWERTY & 2.4" screen QWERTY
    Curve. 2.4" screen QWERTY & 3.5" all touch screen
    Pearl. 2.25" screen suretype & 3" all touch screen
    Style 2.4" screen qwerty

In addition to the Smartphone family RIM will be proud to produce
    The Ultra-Portable 7" BlackBerry PlayBook
    The leisure sized 9" BlackBerry Playbook
    The Desk top work station 16" BlackBerry Playbook

The RIM family of BlackBerry Products will Bring quality and efficient devices at various price point levels across the globe.

To build this Full family that focuses on power efficiency, security, data compression, social integration, and smart design. RIM will work to stream line its operations starting with management focus, Management will be structured to have Vice Presidents in Charge of the following areas:
    *Customer care & relations (Carrier / End user / retailer)
    *Infrastructure software (BES, MVS, BIS, Cloud systems)
    *OS and Core application maintenance & Development
    * Hardware design, and Engineering
    * Financials, (purchasing, accounting, payables receivables)
    * Marketing, Branding, Sales
    * Government relations, Legal,

Each of these VP's will have a Team that reports to the VP's on a weekly basis, the VP's will be involved in a bi weekly meeting with each other and the CEO to have a state of the company business objective meeting. VP's will be expected to give a clear overview of their area and keep time lines up to date, this transparent approach is to keep everyone aware of the potential stumbling blocks and to best allocate resources, if everyone knows how everyone is doing, people can share skill sets to ensure RIM continues to be leaders in power efficiency, security, data compression, social integration, and smartly designed products.

the transparency at the VP level will continue down the chain, from Engineering teams meeting with each other, software teams meeting with each other, sales teams, customer service teams, RIM will foster a free and open communication environment to ensure that issues that can compromise the goals of providing the best in class power efficiency, security, data compression, social integration, and smart design, as well as hurting the BlackBerry brand are solved before they become a major issues.

At RIM the focus must include the consumer purchasing his or her BlackBerry Product, this focus must take into account how the consumer see's RIM and the products and services offered, RIM will be committed to housing customer service representatives in each country or region it does business. These representatives will assist carriers in training their own staff in dealing with issues that may arise, these staff with available as customer service to the public with issues that can't be solved by the carrier, including Cloud services not carrier dependent.

The initiatives RIM will focus on in addition to providing best in class power efficiency, security data compression, social integration, and smart design across its BlackBerry family is to also provide a full ecosystem. Partnering with Media providers to give a single location and inventory list of your media purchased but allowing the user the freedom to select from various market places all tied together with a BlackBerryID(BBID) allowing purchasing to be done via a variety of payment methods from prepaid BBID cards, credit cards, carrier billing and direct bank payments.

With the commitment to the consumer experience RIM acknowledges that it must improve its support from 3rd party's for the consumer, this is both on the Application front and the hardware peripherals, RIM will revamp the developer blog to incorporate application development tutorials, web based device simulators, quarterly developers calls to keep the developing community engaged and involved, incentives for innovative and exciting products, and developer trouble shooting technical department.

RIM will expand the Build for BlackBerry initiative and reach out to peripheral manufacturers to build the must have peripherals for the latest released BlackBerry devices, and continue to look to RIM for assistance in integrating services of hardware peripherals with the BlackBerry system.

With the commitment to providing best in class power efficiency, security, data compression, social integration, and smart design RIM will look to expand their product reach to complementary industries where these initiatives also are of paramount necessity.

Target Projects would include
    Developing a robust cloud implementation, of Online Storage, Webmail access, social integration to provide end users with an easy method of sharing their lives with those they wish to do so.
    For Enterprise to offer controllable cloud service for tracking and management through BES security protocols, information sharing will be made easier, and traceable, documents will contain read/write logs from within the BlackBerry devices

Working with Manufacturers of Medical equipment for integration with BES, and BlackBerry devices such as Playbooks, and BlackBerry Handhelds

Working with Airlines, Air Ports, Hotels, and Car Rental companies to integrate NFC into their check in/ check out procedures, and giving BlackBerry Travel the ability to Book, check in, check out, pay for, services from within the app and utilize NFC, with moving forward to incorporate Restaurant finding, reservations and payment, in a single travelers application

Working with Banks and financial institutions to develop and deploy NFC and BlackBerry Friendly Applications and hardware integration with BlackBerry Wallet and the expansion of BlackBerry wallet to include budget tracking and management,

Developing or partnering with Point of purchase manufacturers and vendors, for implementation of NFC, and BlackBerry compatible devices so that they may be integrated with BES for purchase pattern management and data collection.

Developing or purchasing a more robust GPS software to provide Enterprise and Consumers navigation tools that are Industry leading,

Expand RIM's Partnership with Microsoft and bring Microsoft Office and Skype to the BlackBerry Platform, both with access to Office 365, and Native Applications on the Devices.

Expansions on ideals

Cloud Integration:
    For BIS
    Users will have access to a limited cloud storage solution with 2 methods of file storage, Web accessible, and Secured, additional storage will be purchasable and billed through a BBID account.
    Webmail access for carrier.blackberry.net accounts will be created as well as a Universal inbox for POP /IMAP mail clients to be delivered and maintained in a single location like that done on the BlackBerry device.
    Addition storage options will be purchasable through a BBID account for Both Cloud Storage and Webmail Storage.
    Music download and sharing network will be developed allowing for a subscription model of Music renting and sharing with as many users using the model, and a purchase and share model allowing the purchase of Music digitally signed allowing the sharing single sharing of a song to 1 additional user, for a flat fee for download, the music will not be tied to any singular platform but be digitally signed to the purchaser and gifted user utilizing BBID.
    Movie/Television Downlaoding and Rental service will be developed with the Carriers to that downloading/and streaming of Movies will be done outside of ones dataplan, Carriers will be able to control usage of the service and features offered based on laws of their respective countries, billing will be done through BBID when linked to a Carrier account.
    Direct purchase of Movies will be available over wifi when no carrier is links to the account, but streaming services will not exist.
    Cloud Applications for Various Ebook, and eMagazine tools will be integrated together, allowing a single application for storage and consumption of eBooks and eMagazines , giving freedom to buy form your selected vendor but not limiting your access to content to a singular device, this partnership *

For BES
    Users will be given access as declared by the BES to shared and individual storage solutions, access rights to documents will be controlled by the BES, and documents can be pushed to devices for local storage as well as removed and updated, Cloud Based mail solutions will be integrated with 3rd party mail providers such as Exchange, Domino, Google Apps, to give full IMAP access in a controlled Portal giving webmail access to Enterprise users on BlueTooth or NFC enabled desktops and Notebooks for BES control and tracking of users functions, this is a method allowing external hardware webaccess to email whilst still controlling the portal and rights of access within the browser as BlackBerry Bridge will be ported for installation onto Windows Based PC’s and at a later date should Enterprise requirements dictate Linux and Macintosh installations as well.

For Medical integration, Research in motion will develop BlackBerry Medical Server or BMS,
    BMS Will Provide a Data centre for tracking and storing information from various devices in the Hospital, such as, Hospital beds with Integrated BlackBerry PlayBooks that that can have charts pushed to the Bed, and connect via Bridge to supplementary tools like IV pumps, Blood pressure monitors, and various other medical support apparatus, all of these tools uses will be recorded into the BMS and filed into the EMR software of the hospital, with detailed time tracking, notifications of patient requirements would be pushed to support staff such as Nurses, RN’s, Doctors, Through the BMS with D/R notifications available to Hospital staff knowing a Doctor has received and read a request, for follow up.
    Support for Integration with 3rd Party Environments like Emergency Response units giving Hospitals the ability to get notification of incoming patients, tracking of location of units and when they are arriving in detail and having the vitals of the patient already being put into the digital charts while in transport, Emergency doctors being able to review and transmit secured instructions to EMS in transit and reduce transfer time of patients.

RIM would look into the viability of purchasing a Point of Purchase company such as Chase Paymentech Credit card processing with Chase Paymentech - merchant account, point of sale, accept credit card and debit cards to integrate with the BlackBerry family, Giving RIM the ability to produce NFC point of purchase units and deploying them into retail market places. Providing mass abilities to track and record purchase patterns for retailers using BES integration with the Point of purchase units, and linking the data to managers handhelds.

RIM would look into the viability of purchasing in whole or in part a GPS navigation company such as Garmin (Garmin | United States | Garmin) (market cap 6.21B) Cobra( https://www.cobra.com/index.cfm )(market cap 23.15M) to provide the best mobile GPS solutions, on its handhelds and tablets, through cross licensing and or manufacturing deals . RIM could leverage the BlackBerry PlayBook as onboard GPS units for commercial applications integrate Mapping/tracking/messaging /billing application development for company’s such as taxi, delivery truck, transport truck, Bus service,

Well now that I'm done rambling for now.
    If you kept reading this long I'm sorry
    Last edited by deRusett; 09-03-11 at 02:40 PM.
    bostonnerd and Jaguarr40 like this.
    09-03-11 02:38 PM
    With that many products it will be necessary to embrace Agile testing processes. Which means that some of the FIPS certifications will eventually fail.

I propose a staggered development cycle where development, systems acceptance testing and functional acceptance testing can run in parallel waterfall approaches. Save Agile testing for software upgrades that won't interfere with certifications.

Hire me?
    09-03-11 03:05 PM
    you gladly can sit at the Armchair CEO conference table.

My thought with that many devices are that RIM would move as it did with OS7 devices, many of them sharing the same internals, the 2 Torch's and 2 Bolds would essentially be the same devices with different form factors and staggered releases over a 4-6 month period, the OS for the 2 Bolds would be the same,

But clearly a testing methodology would need to be adopted to minimize the risk of losing FIPS approvals. or a focus of FIPS on key devices
    09-03-11 03:10 PM
    I like the idea of a family of devices. Needs are not the same throughout. Apple managed the one size fits all concept mainly through Jobs' uncanny ability to see how he could convince the consumer of what the consumer wanted. RIM hasn't got that kind of orientation.
    09-03-11 03:14 PM
    That and Apple lead by Jobs was smart to come out with a all touch screen device that was a launching pad for Applications and consumer customization, the device can be one thing to many different needs, except the needs of the keyboard, RIM does not have the ability to Beat Apple at the TouchScreen game, and the Keyboard game needs multiple form factors, as apparent by the various designs of dumb phones there never has been nor do I think there ever will be a 1 size fits all, embrace that and plan that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 03:27 PM
    Great Post. Surprised more people haven't invested some time in reading this one.
    11-18-11 11:13 AM
    Cause RIM won't even listen to their own Shareholders, how much stock (No Pun intended) do you think they would put in deRusett's post? As well thought out and well written as anything (Not knockin you DeRusett, or your post) I enjoyed reading it.
    11-18-11 11:17 AM
    No I mean crackberry members. I know darn well RIM isn't reading this.
    11-18-11 12:17 PM
    No I mean crackberry members. I know darn well RIM isn't reading this.

HaHa!! My mistake.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-18-11 12:21 PM
    @DeRusset,
    Too many devices with different needs and aspect ratios.
    This would create a problem for Devs.
    Do away with Pearl and Style form factors. Yes there are many takers for the form factor but in today's world the Devs make the device, as can be seen from the major complaint against the PB. Lack of Apps.
    Rationalize aspect ratios and move towards a common minimum performance platform.
    RIM's business model depends upon providing differently priced devices and its inevitable that different processors and hardware would be needed to hit the low priced market, but it takes away from the devs ability to make a single program across devices.
    As the enterprise seems to be opening up to customer devices, the customer oriented devices will win out.
    Marketing a low end Pearl to an Enterprise which is willing to allow users to get their own devices would be counter-productive.
    RIM is in a phase from where it is losing its traditional captive enterprise base and has to compete in the consumer place.
    Rationalize production lines and consequent development costs and allow the savings to reflect in their high end model prices to enterprise customers. Stick with a few lines and offer that.
    The corporate structure you recommend is wonderful. The CEO's should move towards consolidating and forming the long term strategy, let the VP's handle day to day reporting and hold them to their deadlines. Smaller and more efficient teams is the need of the hour.
    Going forward with BBX, they should further consolidate the line to just two models, Full Touch Screen and QWERTY. The QWERTY form factor they take is still open. Slider or 2.8" with a QWERTY.
    As I'm thinking while typing, maybe three lines for BBX : Full touch, Full touch with slider and a 2.8-3" QWERTY.
    For PB, consolidate with the 7" form factor. Taking on iPad in the 9" space would be an invitation for media bashers to bash the device and creating a negative sentiment.
    Once they get the 7" form factor functioning in enterprise with Citrix and industry specific apps, they should hit the 16" form factor as you recommend.They should work closely with SAP and get an App for that out there ASAP and make the PB truly business oriented. SAP working over bridge for mobile procurement/sales team would be awesome. Hit the iPad size the last, when there is a market pull (demand) rather than trying to Push it.
    Just my opinions however.
    Would like to hear your comments on this though. And reasons why you disagree with me.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 11-18-11 at 01:28 PM.
    11-18-11 01:15 PM
    Too many devices with different needs and aspect ratios.
    This would create a problem for Devs.
    I didn't give aspect ratio, RIM would need to address Aspect Ratios with the Developer tools, if you look at Android, there are 30-40 Aspect Ratio's across the product lines from top to bottom, clearly a scalar build could be done, (Alec Saunders did hint at BBX having a multi aspect ratio element)

Do away with Pearl and Style form factors. Yes there are many takers for the form factor but in today's world the Devs make the device, as can be seen from the major complaint against the PB. Lack of Apps.
    Pearl and Style are both unique and fill a void, IF RIM can follow the 80's GM method of finding ways of using parts from as many different models into eachother to reduce manufacturing costs, bringing the Pearl and Style into the Mix just increases the market penetration potential, the Pearl addresses the user who doesn't really want a smartphone just a small PHONE PHONE, but BBM access, and profiles are features they would like as the rest of the family have BlackBerry's
    The Style if Marketed correctly is a perfect fit into the construction and mining industries, Broken screens are all over the place here, many users carry 2 phones, 1 flip phone for work, and 1 smart phone they have non accessible for needs on breaks.

Rationalize aspect ratios and move towards a common minimum performance platform.
    RIM's business model depends upon providing differently priced devices and its inevitable that different processors and hardware would be needed to hit the low priced market, but it takes away from the devs ability to make a single program across devices.
    I'm confused here, most developers make programs in highlevel languages, they don't need to care about the processors or memory so long as the tools they use or the middleware manage that, the only thing that is relevant is screen resolution,

As the enterprise seems to be opening up to customer devices, the customer oriented devices will win out.
    When Times are tough, Enterprises are looking for ways to reduce costs, thus Bring your device to work, BUT it will just take a few mix ups, OR devices to be connected to more and more that Enterprises will start to go back to the in control model, Employers have been able to allow users to bring laptops to work for many years, that practice is still very rarely used, Device management will always be a topic for IT, IF your Enterprise device can do most of what the consumer device does, then the Consumer wont fight as much for their consumer device to be tied to work.
    I am waiting for big arguments over property of phone numbers in the coming years with employee's who use personal phones for business.

Marketing a low end Pearl to an Enterprise which is willing to allow users to get their own devices would be counter-productive.
    The Pearl is a consumer phone, it is the Soccer mom, it is the minimal texter, it is the pay as you go user,

RIM is in a phase from where it is losing its traditional captive enterprise base and has to compete in the consumer place.
    Rationalize production lines and consequent development costs and allow the savings to reflect in their high end model prices to enterprise customers. Stick with a few lines and offer that.
    RIM can't give up there other markets besides north America, YES they need to push the high end, BUT Android control the market because of variety, notice How many devices Samsung makes

[
    Going forward with BBX, they should further consolidate the line to just two models, Full Touch Screen and QWERTY. The QWERTY form factor they take is still open. Slider or 2.8" with a QWERTY.
    As I'm thinking while typing, maybe three lines for BBX : Full touch, Full touch with slider and a 2.8-3" QWERTY.
    I will point out Android yet again, and I will point out RIM's global needs, where you have people who can pay $700 off contract, vs people who can barely pay the $300 off contract, you don't kill off markets you are growing in, that is what you suggest with limiting to 2 or 3 form factors.

For PB, consolidate with the 7" form factor. Taking on iPad in the 9" space would be an invitation for media bashers to bash the device and creating a negative sentiment.
    Once they get the 7" form factor functioning in enterprise with Citrix and industry specific apps, they should hit the 16" form factor as you recommend.They should work closely with SAP and get an App for that out there ASAP and make the PB truly business oriented. SAP working over bridge for mobile procurement/sales team would be awesome. Hit the iPad size the last, when there is a market pull (demand) rather than trying to Push it.
    Just my opinions however.
    Would like to hear your comments on this though. And reasons why you disagree with me.
    I would launch the 10" and the 16" at the same time, and not stagger them greatly, you're making a statement the PlayBook can address all your tablet needs by having all 3 form factors on the market,

** I did not reread my OP before commenting so there could be some contradictory statements as I believe this thread is over 3 months old
    11-18-11 05:20 PM
    you gladly can sit at the Armchair CEO conference table.

My thought with that many devices are that RIM would move as it did with OS7 devices, many of them sharing the same internals, the 2 Torch's and 2 Bolds would essentially be the same devices with different form factors and staggered releases over a 4-6 month period, the OS for the 2 Bolds would be the same,

But clearly a testing methodology would need to be adopted to minimize the risk of losing FIPS approvals. or a focus of FIPS on key devices
    Now you know I have always had alot od respect for your posts and responsive answers to others for help. I also have always known you to be fairly opened minded and fair but I need to ask you a question my friend...Did you have the day off with a whole lot of time on your hands with the family gone today.
    That is the longest post I believe I have ever read on here and i know I am long winded but i am still going to like it for your effort...

PS I think you need to copy that post to RIM to see if you get a response, You never know, for all that effort you may get a free Playbook.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 11-18-11 at 05:58 PM.
    11-18-11 05:54 PM
    Now you know I have always had alot od respect for your posts and responsive answers to others for help. I also have always known you to be fairly opened minded and fair but I need to ask you a question my friend...Did you have the day off with a whole lot of time on your hands with the family gone today.
    That is the longest post I believe I have ever read on here and i know I am long winded but i am still going to like it for your effort...

PS I think you need to copy that post to RIM to see if you get a response, You never know, for all that effort you may get a free Playbook.
    That post was a couple months ago, I probably started it on a plane or something,
    11-18-11 05:59 PM
    That post was a couple months ago, I probably started it on a plane or something,
    Never the less I am not critizing it, just wondered what got you started on such a post thats all.
    11-18-11 06:09 PM
    Never the less I am not critizing it, just wondered what got you started on such a post thats all.
    This isn't my first long winded Rambling

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ir-ceo-508284/ (08-02-2010)

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...on-rim-615451/ (05-15-2011)

There may have been another one I didn't call Arm Chair CEO but I have a lot of time to think, when driving in Northern Ontario where I can drive 3h and not see another vehicle, so things like this just happen
    11-18-11 06:27 PM

Working with Airlines, Air Ports, Hotels, and Car Rental companies to integrate NFC into their check in/ check out procedures, and giving BlackBerry Travel the ability to Book, check in, check out, pay for, services from within the app and utilize NFC, with moving forward to incorporate Restaurant finding, reservations and payment, in a single travelers application
    This.

I definitely like the Travel app and would welcome any enhancements to it.

I noticed you were very focused on B to B, but not much mention of BBM which is an important link to the mass consumer market. I think RIM is moving in the right direction with BBM integration into apps. If BBM music is a success then it could eventually expand to BBM music, BBM books, BBM flicks, BBM chicks (ok, getting carried away there), but it's a pretty groovy platform to take advantage of social networking for spreading content virally. Content is RIM's achilles heel; BBM is a pretty decent lever for gaining access to content providers. I think the music labels see real potential there.
    11-18-11 06:56 PM
    This.

I definitely like the Travel app and would welcome any enhancements to it.

I noticed you were very focused on B to B, but not much mention of BBM which is an important link to the mass consumer market. I think RIM is moving in the right direction with BBM integration into apps. If BBM music is a success then it could eventually expand to BBM music, BBM books, BBM flicks, BBM chicks (ok, getting carried away there), but it's a pretty groovy platform to take advantage of social networking for spreading content virally. Content is RIM's achilles heel; BBM is a pretty decent lever for gaining access to content providers. I think the music labels see real potential there.
    I do agree the leveraging of BlackBerry Music and BBM are something that could be expanded on, I didn't look at BBM as much when I did this write up, 1: BBMM didn't exist, and 2, from a Business user I have maybe 20 out of easily 200 BlackBerry users related to Business on BBM, so I want to see stuff not exclusively tied to BBM but with BBM expanded abilities
    11-18-11 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD