Hello,

I backup my phone and my computer frequently and have noticed that there are a lot of BB and RIM folders and files within various folders on my Windows 7 laptop, i.e. within Program Files x86, Program Files, Roaming. These are in addition to the obviously important regular backup I make with the DM, which I default to a designated backup folder I can find more easily.

I notice that some files in the less obvious folders do get a new date after backup (not just when there is a software update.) I want to be sure I'm archiving ones I may need, but don't want to go overboard, especially as they have the same two names ("Research in Motion" or "Blackberry") but different contents.

I realize I don't need to archive the DM (wherever that is kept) as I can always re-download it, but data and even settings are another story.

If I haven't already turned this post into an obsessive newbie mess, could someone (who relies on tons of critical data they'd rather die than retype) please let me know which files/folders I would need to restore a backup? I do already know about the 3rd party procedure but as there's so many RIM/BB folders I'm not even sure which is which on that part.

*phew* Thank you for listening.
    09-15-10 05:59 AM
    The simple answer is, the BlackBerry data base files have the IPD extension.

The previous versions of BlackBerry Desktop Manager defaulted saving them in your Documents or My Documents directory. The current version 6.xx now saves them to ..\Documents\BlackBerry\Backup.

The contents of ..\Program Files\.. are created by the install of the Desktop Manager and the install of Device OS files. For the vast majority of users, the only time they will access this directory is to delete the security file Vendor.xml.
    09-15-10 10:34 AM
    The simple answer is, the BlackBerry data base files have the IPD extension.

The previous versions of BlackBerry Desktop Manager defaulted saving them in your Documents or My Documents directory. The current version 6.xx now saves them to ..\Documents\BlackBerry\Backup.

The contents of ..\Program Files\.. are created by the install of the Desktop Manager and the install of Device OS files. For the vast majority of users, the only time they will access this directory is to delete the security file Vendor.xml.
    Thank you for replying to my tedious inquiry.

FWIW my 9700 doesn't have 6.xx yet, and I've defaulted the backup to a unique folder (not My Docs -- that BB folder is therefore empty), but it sounds like those things are irrelevant. If all I need is the .ipd file that I make daily and default to my unique folder, that's all I'll archive (on server, in safe, hey, it's critical stuff for me!)

I don't know why there are so many Research in Motion and Blackberry folders, and why some of the file dates change even when the DM isn't updated, but if those things aren't important for restoration, I don't care and won't archive them. Less work, yay!

I will have to look up Vendor.xml though (unless someone can save me a moment with that..)

Thank you again! This place has been very helpful and I really appreciate it.
    09-16-10 01:28 AM
    The only reason you'll ever need to delete vendor.xml is if you are uprading the OS to one other than your Carrier's version.
    09-16-10 08:41 AM
    I don't know why there are so many Research in Motion and Blackberry folders, and why some of the file dates change even when the DM isn't updated, but if those things aren't important for restoration, I don't care and won't archive them. Less work, yay!
    That's typical of any Windows program. They all dump a lot of crap all over your hard drive.

The DM is really just a shell for several different parts of the manager - Intellisync for IM syncing, Roxio for media syncing, auto update module, the backup module, and various settings for your particular phone. Then, there is the device manager (not to be confused with the Desktop Manager) - a separate program and driver that allows your computer to recognize your BB when you plug it into your computer's usb port. This is what allows the DM to do its stuff.

The files that you see constantly changing dates are most likely the various internal settings logs and files that get rewritten or updated every time you plug your phone in.

And then, if you download a new available OS, you usually have to "install" it on your pc first - which simply unzips it into yet another directory that the DM looks in for such files. But, in that OS directory, there is usually a separate "loader" program that can be used independent of the DM to load the OS.

I only mention all this to help you understand what its all for. Even if all you need to really worry about are those few .ipd files - that is the thing that actually relates to the data on your phone.

Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 10:31 AM
    trucky, joel, thank you so much!

I really appreciate all the helpful info.
    09-16-10 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD