As good as the web browser is with BlackBerry OS 10 the need for applications remains important. You don't always have network connectivity. I regularly edit LaTeX documents using a SaaS provided browser-based application. Fortunately the SaaS provider offers an API so an application could be developed. Maybe I'll have to learn to develop a native application using the SaaS API.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    06-21-14 04:21 AM
    Hasn't these app shenanigans been flogged to death? It is what it is with BlackBerry. Nothing magical will happen overnight .
    Very resourceful BlackBerry users find ways to overcome this shortcoming.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by wincyUt; 06-21-14 at 08:14 AM.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    06-21-14 06:34 AM
    My brother in law was given a new iPhone for work. It's so locked down its useless. They only put travel apps and a few others so he can travel the country for them like a pond. The good news, they track him every step of the way......lol. Yes iphone grants all apps and BlackBerry none in the corporate world.....NOT!

Posted via CB10
    No different than a locked down BlackBerry. He's lucky to have travel apps; I couldn't get BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Maps, Weather Channel on my BlackBerry. No BlackBerry world at all. All that was available were phone, mail, SMS, BBM.

And that was all that leadership wanted us to have. All that was needed for our jobs.

As far as tracking, every message and action is retrievable in house via BES. Which is the reason the vast majority of those issued work devices also carry a personal device.

It's a work issued device *for work.* The company decides how it's used.

And if BBW on a BlackBerry is not allowed, much less so Snap. Because anything that modifies the device is disallowed.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    06-21-14 07:01 AM
    No different than a locked down BlackBerry. He's lucky to have travel apps; I couldn't get BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Maps, Weather Channel on my BlackBerry. No BlackBerry world at all. All that was available were phone, mail, SMS, BBM.

And that was all that leadership wanted us to have. All that was needed for our jobs.

As far as tracking, every message and action is retrievable in house via BES. Which is the reason the vast majority of those issued work devices also carry a personal device.

And if BBW on a BlackBerry is not allowed, much less so Snap. Because anything that modifies the device is disallowed.

Is that not what BlackBerry ? balance was supposed to achieve? I never seen/knew another using it... but if it really works it sounds awesome

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 07:35 AM
    I am a physician and can attest to the fact that most of the main medical reference apps are not available to BlackBerry users. In addition to that I was at an informational meeting with my hospital's entire medical staff not too long ago, as the hospital was rolling out a service called PerfectServe. It basically is a tool that allows the physicians to designate when and how they want to be contacted each day and night, with algorithms to follow in case they can't be reached, etc. The hospital staff can access the program from their computers, and the physicians can do the same from their phones as well. In some regards it has replaced the old-time answering services, and the entire medical staff is using this system now. Anyway, the rep for PerfectServe got up in front of the entire medical staff to say that their program was available for Android and iPhone users, "but you have to have a smartphone so it's not available for BlackBerry". Despite my speaking out and correcting her to this day they still don't have a BlackBerry app. I would imagine that by now most of the 500+ independent physicians working at my hospital have ditched their BlackBerry phones if they had not previously because of issues such as this let alone the lack of the standard medical reference apps. And while a few physicians are tech savvy, most are not side loading or even aware that many Android apps (including PerfectServe) are now available for BB 10 users. And with all of this I find it somewhat ironic that BlackBerry is talking about getting into healthcare because of the security that is needed. Personally I think they are 5 years too late to the healthcare table. However I will continue to use my Q10 because I love it and hopefully some day with a built up ecosystem more of my physician colleagues will come back to join me and BlackBerry.
    johnm137 and dazzleaj like this.
    06-21-14 07:37 AM
    That's a good example of how apps are actually not overrated. I think the unavailability of apps is one of the main reasons BB10 users are turning away from their devices.
    That's what I hear constantly at work really. Yeah, I get some snickering because "BlackBerry is unfashionable" right now for using one. And I get some who have it in their head that the Z30 must be the same as the Storm or Curve 8300 in terms of capabilities. But for the most part, the first question is, "are there apps on it". Many have no clue it runs Android apps (and I work in a tech firm) and many others are actually surprised at the apps it does have after hearing "BlackBerry has no apps" for so long.

In our company, it's the same problem that many of the mobile apps aren't on BlackBerry 10, though we have a flexible BYOD program.

The Z10 I have works well with exchange, so the day to day communication is fine. Also find Docs-To-Go works well enough for reviewing things on the fly if I need to.

For desktop and mobile chatting we use Microsoft Lync. There's no BlackBerry 10 version and the Android version isn't in Amazon's store. I had to get a version from 1Mobile (never quite trust that) and it's really sluggish. It often loses its connectivity and isn't very reliable.

For VPN, we use DuoMobile. There is an app for BlackBerry (maybe an Android port but it's decent) and it's in BlackBerry World.

For engineering chats, we use Hip Chat. No version in App World, no version in the Amazon Store, had to go to 1mobile again. It's ok.

For presentations, we use Go-To-Meeting. Nothing in either store, had to go to 1mobile again. Never quite seems to launch for me.

For travel and expenses, we use Concur Travel. Nothing in either store. I again had to go to 1Mobile. Was a pain to get it running and it's the slowest thing ever. Absolutely detest it.

Hopefully John Chen can spend more effort now filling enterprise pieces like this.
    pantlesspenguin and dazzleaj like this.
    06-21-14 07:38 AM
    Did nobody listen what Chen said? He also mentioned that this also allows them to focus on enterprise native apps. While amazon brings the rest of consumer apps. Amazon will also have their own phone out soon meaning they'll push for more app support so I wouldn't be surprised if they get Instagram soon.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Finally, someone is seeing through this, thanks Dave.
    Focus on Enterprise Native Apps. You saved me having to type the above. People only seem to listen with one ear - into the one, out of the other again.

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    06-21-14 07:38 AM
    I am a physician and can attest to the fact that most of the main medical reference apps are not available to BlackBerry users. In addition to that I was at an informational meeting with my hospital's entire medical staff not too long ago, as the hospital was rolling out a service called PerfectServe. It basically is a tool that allows the physicians to designate when and how they want to be contacted each day and night, with algorithms to follow in case they can't be reached, etc. The hospital staff can access the program from their computers, and the physicians can do the same from their phones as well. In some regards it has replaced the old-time answering services, and the entire medical staff is using this system now. Anyway, the rep for PerfectServe got up in front of the entire medical staff to say that their program was available for Android and iPhone users, "but you have to have a smartphone so it's not available for BlackBerry". Despite my speaking out and correcting her to this day they still don't have a BlackBerry app. I would imagine that by now most of the 500+ independent physicians working at my hospital have ditched their BlackBerry phones if they had not previously because of issues such as this let alone the lack of the standard medical reference apps. And while a few physicians are tech savvy, most are not side loading or even aware that many Android apps (including PerfectServe) are now available for BB 10 users. And with all of this I find it somewhat ironic that BlackBerry is talking about getting into healthcare because of the security that is needed. Personally I think they are 5 years too late to the healthcare table. However I will continue to use my Q10 because I love it and hopefully some day with a built up ecosystem more of my physician colleagues will come back to join me and BlackBerry.
    I'm also in the medical field and agree with everything you say. In the course of just a couple of years, instead of seeing mostly blackberry now you see android and iPhone in hospitals. If this new phone they are coming out with is geared towards medical uses I'm not sure people will go back in droves, unless they are purchased by the hospitals. Too bad really.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-21-14 08:39 AM

Duh.....Blackberry Balance Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 09:50 AM
    Is that not what BlackBerry ? balance was supposed to achieve? I never seen/knew another using it... but if it really works it sounds awesome

Posted via CB10
    At my agency BlackBerry balance is not allowed. No personal stuff on the work phone PERIOD. And frankly, I wouldn't use BlackBerry balance if I could. I do not want my personal information on a work phone for any reason. Also, if thhe agency calls in the phone they issued, your personal stuff goes with it. I think BlackBerry balance was highly overrated. (Do you love the double typing on my Q...?)

Posted via CB10
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    06-21-14 09:52 AM
    Apple/Android are making huge inroads into many domains, including medicine, education, law. The Amazon app store will not close the app gap in those and similar areas as others have mentioned. "Available on iOS and Android" won't necessarily mean available in Amazon Store which will cause disappointment to some when they can't find what they need. Although I'm not a huge app user, I foresee continue used use of Snap for my need, and that works for me.

Posted via CB10
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    06-21-14 01:02 PM
    Well before anyone panics, BlackBerry has recently acquired a company to bring them to the medical scene in a large manner. Here is the problem with devices handling medical files that are not controlled an secure. You get Google and Apple vacuuming up private medical information on basically everyone. Wouldn't insurance companies be interested in that stuff.......anyways the BB10 browser can run any mobile site very well without the need for apps. for example, download the android Ebay app. Harmless enough right? Well in order for you to have it, it asks for permissions to my photo and videos, all my contacts, and basically everything else. It states I am granting them permission to store that information on a remote device. Like doesn't anyone see the problem with this? So I have medical information about patients on my phone and they are free for everyone to see at some point? How about the so called Lawyer......thats ok? How is the US handling Wiki Leaks.......how is that going? You wouldn't have too many friends if they had access to all your thoughts would you. Can you imagine your friend Jenny showing you her new dress.....you say it looks great, but your thoughts say differently. I think government, Corporate, medical, legal, and basically all pertinent information should be taken very seriously.....on another note.....who wrote the app? Did the lawyer even look into it?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 04:51 PM
    Duh.....Blackberry Balance Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Balance is not allowed in all agencies.

And BES devices in secure agencies even when on Balance would not allow Snap. Cannot load it. Won't load.

Last edited by qbnkelt; 06-22-14 at 09:26 AM.
    06-21-14 08:16 PM
    At my agency BlackBerry balance is not allowed. No personal stuff on the work phone PERIOD. And frankly, I wouldn't use BlackBerry balance if I could. I do not want my personal information on a work phone for any reason. Also, if thhe agency calls in the phone they issued, your personal stuff goes with it. I think BlackBerry balance was highly overrated. (Do you love the double typing on my Q...?)

Posted via CB10
    Exactly.

BlackBerry is not a viable solution to some of BlackBerry's biggest clients. The higher the security, the more stringent the policy.

06-21-14 08:19 PM
    Casemaker installs perfectly through snap or mobile market
    No issues opening and searching so no problem

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-22-14 05:57 AM
    Casemaker installs perfectly through snap or mobile market
    No issues opening and searching so no problem

Posted via CrackBerry App
    It's good that it works, but is it available in Amazon? See my comment above.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 07:45 AM
    It's not Exactly! It's not because one's company doesn't allow balance it's not a viable solution! Those are situations deemed by the corporate policy. Perhaps the boss doesn't want people on face book during company time, and therefore the only device they should ever have in their hand is a company locked down device.......ok no need for Balance. but then we have the countless companies running free range. The boss grants access to different people on different levels to corporate files. Ya save a buck right? Trust everyone right? Well wrong! You can get burnt bad with a disgruntled employee, you can have your company files vacuumed by your competitors. Remember I always ask......who wrote that must have app?? Perhaps your competitors did.....and don't think it's not plausible! So Balance is a viable way for the employer that so wishes to isolate corporate email, database access, server access, file access from others. On the personal side, you can still load the BBW apps, android apps, games etc. Our company is almost done it's research on BES10 and balance. We are 99 percent on that path. We want central control of our corporate mobile. We also want our employees to enjoy the freedom of having one device, not having to spend more of their after tax dollars on a second device. We are that type of company, and BlackBerry is the only fit for our type of company. By the way, we have had company breaches and basically so has every other company......they just don't know about it. PS....there is no access to the personal side, so what the employees wish to do after hours, well that is their business. On another note they will just post it to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and all the other confessional sites/apps anyhow......LOL.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 10:58 AM
    I'm going to answer the above post by using BlackBerry's own language - On regulated BlackBerry Balance devices, you can use the "Install Apps From Other Sources" rule to prevent users from installing apps in the personal space from other sources.

On BES10 and BES Cloud, a company CAN restrict installing apps from anything other than BBW. Contrary to popular opinion, the personal on Balance is not a free zone free fro IT policies. The company/agency can still restrict use on their devices.

Blacklatino likes this.
    06-23-14 07:46 AM
    Exactly.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:07 AM
    I'm going to answer the above post by using BlackBerry's own language - On regulated BlackBerry Balance devices, you can use the "Install Apps From Other Sources" rule to prevent users from installing apps in the personal space from other sources.

On BES10 and BES Cloud, a company CAN restrict installing apps from anything other than BBW. Contrary to popular opinion, the personal on Balance is not a free zone free fro IT policies. The company/agency can still restrict use on their devices.

Really don't understand your problem. Really now, you will argue anti BlackBerry points to the nth degree. Yes IT can hand an employee a completely locked down BlackBerry device. Yes they can hand them a device that has partially locked down on the personal side, or they can allow the personal side to be wide open. That is the choice of the company and the IT department for reasons they seem fit. It doesn't take away the fact that android apps can be loaded on the personal side if corporate allows it. So your comments are simply negative in nature. What is Apple's solution since it's no secret you are Apple happy? Either locked down hard, necessary for security, or wide open, nice for user, highly detrimental to company. Good solution there! Oh but Apple says that's OK, so it's ok.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 08:10 AM
    I have not stated anything negative about BlackBerry nor have I said anything to defend Apple; rather, I have pointed out that a BlackBerry can be absolutely locked down which is what makes it valuable in secure environments. And, by nature of being locked down, not able to run either *any* apps or *specific* apps or *all* apps depending on the configuration. BES10, BES Cloud, BES 5...whatever...

I am making the statement that on BES Balance, IT can in fact restrict the use of Development Mode, thereby no Android apps can be used. Therefore the use of Snap can be restricted, therefore BlackBerry Balance is not a viable solution for those who want to use Android apps. This is not being negative, this is pointing out a fact.

I fail to see where that is a condemnation of BlackBerry or BlackBerry Balance. In fact, anyone on this forum who has been around for a while has heard me state repeatedly that BlackBerry is the best solution for secure agencies.

06-23-14 08:29 AM

Posted via CB10

No balance data goes through the work network. HOWEVER, they can easily reset the password and access your personal data, not to mention in many environments e-discovery can be done on work devices (regardless work/personal side) etc.
    06-23-14 08:31 AM
    Really don't understand your problem. Really now, you will argue anti BlackBerry points to the nth degree. Yes IT can hand an employee a completely locked down BlackBerry device. Yes they can hand them a device that has partially locked down on the personal side, or they can allow the personal side to be wide open. That is the choice of the company and the IT department for reasons they seem fit. It doesn't take away the fact that android apps can be loaded on the personal side if corporate allows it. So your comments are simply negative in nature. What is Apple's solution since it's no secret you are Apple happy? Either locked down hard, necessary for security, or wide open, nice for user, highly detrimental to company. Good solution there! Oh but Apple says that's OK, so it's ok.

Posted via CB10
    She is literally quoting BlackBerry in many responses, here and in other threads? Anti-BB doesnt apply if asking about the truth. Calm down and realize that BlackBerry NEEDS criticism in order to improve. Calm down, Apple faces the same challenges in regulated areas, completely locked down (as much as possible) devices.
    06-23-14 08:34 AM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    06-23-14 08:34 AM
    The question still remains the same. Will we get native app experience once Amazon officially go's live on BB10 platform? If not, then I am as afraid as other people are.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    bbq10l likes this.
    06-23-14 08:35 AM
52 123