Was on another forum discussing the Q10. We got around to discussing apps and a lawyer wrote:

"Fastcase, Casemaker, law management practice softwares, etc. They just aren't available. I have my law firm's banking, legal search engines, and softwares all in one folder on my S5. I couldn't get that on my Z10."

This is supposed to be one of the target markets. Can't get the apps he uses in his daily practice. This is not about pininterest or instagram crap but apps that really do affect productivity at work. I remember a few months ago a Doctor (MD) saying the same thing about his profession and yet some people just chewed him up. He should sideload, yap yap yap. Like he had time to do it. Most doctors I know are working their butts off and don't have time to spend a few hours learning how to side load apps they can get easily on other phones.

Not being critical of BB here but rather rebutting the posters who say apps are overrated.
    06-18-14 12:50 PM
    Was on another forum discussing the Q10. We got around to discussing apps and a lawyer wrote:

"Fastcase, Casemaker, law management practice softwares, etc. They just aren't available. I have my law firm's banking, legal search engines, and softwares all in one folder on my S5. I couldn't get that on my Z10."

This is supposed to be one of the target markets. Can't get the apps he uses in his daily practice. This is not about pininterest or instagram crap but apps that really do affect productivity at work. I remember a few months ago a Doctor (MD) saying the same thing about his profession and yet some people just chewed him up. He should sideload, yap yap yap. Like he had time to do it. Most doctors I know are working their butts off and don't have time to spend a few hours learning how to side load apps they can get easily on other phones.

Not being critical of BB here but rather rebutting the posters who say apps are overrated.
    Well since people apparently don't want to bring their apps to the BB10 platform 10.3 will bring the apps to them.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    web99 and Playbook007 like this.
    06-18-14 01:06 PM
    Just a thought... would he on BES if he had a BBRY device? I don't know much about apps development, but couldn't the BES admins wrap those apps up for him on their enterprise BBW (whatever it's called), even if it's just the apk files, and have it readily available for him to install so he doesn't have to go through the sideload process? Now, if they just won't work properly, they just won't. But I was just wondering if the BES admins could do that sort of thing to help him out with easy installs.
    06-18-14 01:09 PM
    That's a good example of how apps are actually not overrated. I think the unavailability of apps is one of the main reasons BB10 users are turning away from their devices.
    cgallaer likes this.
    06-18-14 03:44 PM
    Just a thought... would he on BES if he had a BBRY device? I don't know much about apps development, but couldn't the BES admins wrap those apps up for him on their enterprise BBW (whatever it's called), even if it's just the apk files, and have it readily available for him to install so he doesn't have to go through the sideload process? Now, if they just won't work properly, they just won't. But I was just wondering if the BES admins could do that sort of thing to help him out with easy installs.
    First- most of my sideloaded apps don't work properly. Second- work phones don't generally allow sideloading and lock that down. I can't even visit the BBW on my work BB. When will people understand work phones don't generally allow sideloading?! This is a tech thing- not a normal thing for people. Sideloading is not and has never been the answer.

Posted via CB10
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    06-18-14 03:56 PM
    The Android runtime is generally not available on BES phones except on the user side (if Balance is enabled), and most enterprises probably wouldn't let their enterprise apps be run on the user side of the phone. Balance, as currently implemented, really only works with native apps.
    nomloj likes this.
    06-18-14 04:34 PM
    Or he could use any old android/ios device, and just access the apps without any of that old bollocks.

Decisions decisions
    06-18-14 05:45 PM
    The Android runtime is generally not available on BES phones except on the user side (if Balance is enabled), and most enterprises probably wouldn't let their enterprise apps be run on the user side of the phone. Balance, as currently implemented, really only works with native apps.
    I bet that will change with 10.3 or atleast let the Admin decide if they want it enabled or not.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 06-18-14 at 07:13 PM.
    06-18-14 05:47 PM
    First- most of my sideloaded apps don't work properly. Second- work phones don't generally allow sideloading and lock that down. I can't even visit the BBW on my work BB. When will people understand work phones don't generally allow sideloading?! This is a tech thing- not a normal thing for people. Sideloading is not and has never been the answer.

Posted via CB10
    I will agree that some of the apps don't work that great. However I do think BlackBerry using Amazon is a plus. Most people I know don't know how to side load. I've done 7 z10 for people. The main comments that they make has always been no apps. And I believe that the consumers have shown that is what they want and done with ease. I really think that the amazon deal is a major step in the right direction. I'm kinda surprised it took this long. Many on here act like everyone should be able to side load however that's not the case. The 7 BlackBerry I did those people had no idea, and don't want to know how. Anyway just my opinion.

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.2947 on AT&T
    dazzleaj likes this.
    06-18-14 06:08 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I won't side load anything... that's why I also now carry iPhone 5.

But still hard core blackberry user... waiting for the Classic!!!

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog and agarwal.apar like this.
    06-18-14 06:29 PM
    Personally, I utilize the same apps on all my devices with the exception of a few. I don't think they're overrated. It's a melting pot of ppl that have certain apps that they would like to use when coming from other devices or just because friends are using the same app on other platforms.....while BlackBerry is trying to work with Devs that want to help out because the numbers are not there to make the same type of money they would or are making on other platforms. I still believe that BlackBerry should continue to pursue the U.S. Market. When that changes(lots of work ahead) the ecosystem will also get better. IMHO. I stick around here because I see the dedication of old timers that- like me, just want a new BlackBerry with a few optional apps and I'm good. LOL. I threaten to leave BlackBerry at least once a month for the last 11 years.

Posted from my Q10 via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 06-23-14 at 10:41 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-18-14 06:32 PM
    I will agree that some of the apps don't work that great. However I do think BlackBerry using Amazon is a plus. Most people I know don't know how to side load. I've done 7 z10 for people. The main comments that they make has always been no apps. And I believe that the consumers have shown that is what they want and done with ease. I really think that the amazon deal is a major step in the right direction. I'm kinda surprised it took this long. Many on here act like everyone should be able to side load however that's not the case. The 7 BlackBerry I did those people had no idea, and don't want to know how. Anyway just my opinion.

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.2947 on AT&T
    I agree with you. I was saying that even if Amazon comes pre-installed most work phones will lock that app out like they lock down BlackBerry apps. I think the Amazon thing is great for consumers just that it won't make any difference for enterprise users.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:10 PM
    Apps are overated!

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh and Q10Bold like this.
    06-18-14 08:12 PM
    Did nobody listen what Chen said? He also mentioned that this also allows them to focus on enterprise native apps. While amazon brings the rest of consumer apps. Amazon will also have their own phone out soon meaning they'll push for more app support so I wouldn't be surprised if they get Instagram soon.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-18-14 08:19 PM
    Ah, thanks for that clarification. I thought the BES admins would have full control of what can/can not be run on the end device, but if it's a limitation BBRY has enforced with the Android runtime... I had understood the BES folks had their own version of BBW where they could push out their own enterprise apps, and was hoping that they could push out apk files for users to click on/auto-install. More wishful/hopeful thinking... maybe in later versions of BES they'll let that happen.
    06-19-14 03:14 PM
    Ah, thanks for that clarification. I thought the BES admins would have full control of what can/can not be run on the end device, but if it's a limitation BBRY has enforced with the Android runtime... I had understood the BES folks had their own version of BBW where they could push out their own enterprise apps, and was hoping that they could push out apk files for users to click on/auto-install. More wishful/hopeful thinking... maybe in later versions of BES they'll let that happen.
    From the little I played with it, you can select which apps to allow from BlackBerry World.... If it's not in BlackBerry World, then it can not be selected. There is no indication this is going to change in BES12 yet, other than our expectation that it should change to allow at the very least Amazon Apps. The problem is going to be permissions and policies... that may take a lot of work to allow the System Manager to lock down some permissions and still have the Android App work.
    06-19-14 03:25 PM
    Are these professional 'apps' not simply databases that are available online? When these doctors and lawyers are working on their desktops or laptops, do they switch to their (non-BB) phones to use Casemaker or whatever? I doubt it. So why bother with an app when a browser bookmark will do just as well?

Before my two banks provided their apps, I used their mobile websites, bookmarked to my Q10's screen. I installed the apps when they came out, but I haven't noticed any difference in functionality. We've been brainwashed by Apple that we need apps. I just need a fast browser - and with Q10, I have it.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    06-19-14 06:05 PM
    Not a lawyer but you know enough to tell them how to access these systems. Ok.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 06:09 PM
    Apps are overated!

Posted via CB10
    Really, the mobile phone is made up of hardware, OS and applications, take one away and it's an ornament.
    06-19-14 07:22 PM
    Did nobody listen what Chen said? He also mentioned that this also allows them to focus on enterprise native apps. While amazon brings the rest of consumer apps. Amazon will also have their own phone out soon meaning they'll push for more app support so I wouldn't be surprised if they get Instagram soon.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Does BlackBerry intend to develop these native applications? The number of BlackBerry 10 application developers is rather small and rarely the large application vendors.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    06-19-14 07:47 PM
    Are these professional 'apps' not simply databases that are available online? When these doctors and lawyers are working on their desktops or laptops, do they switch to their (non-BB) phones to use Casemaker or whatever? I doubt it. So why bother with an app when a browser bookmark will do just as well?

Before my two banks provided their apps, I used their mobile websites, bookmarked to my Q10's screen. I installed the apps when they came out, but I haven't noticed any difference in functionality. We've been brainwashed by Apple that we need apps. I just need a fast browser - and with Q10, I have it.

Posted via CB10
    Most mobile websites for applications are light on features compared to desktop applications or even SaaS applications accessible on the desktop.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    cgallaer likes this.
    06-19-14 07:50 PM
    Sadly, even with Amazon App Store bundled directly, users still will not have direct access to many big name apps, like instagram. Many Android users, and BB10 users have noticed that the Amazon App Store uses an insane amount of battery because apps you install it constantly to authorization checks with the app store itself, this does not occur with Google Play apps, the apps themselves are fundamentally different, which is why many developers do not want their apps in Amazon.

Amazon App Store - 240,000 apps
    Google Play Store - 1.2 million apps
    Blacklatino and johnm137 like this.
    06-19-14 07:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe those apps don't have mobile sites! I'm a lawyer and in my country to online precedents don't come with an app nor a mobile website and it is a terrible pain to do research when you are in court and away from your office.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 07:58 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Thank God someone else heard him......Thanks Dave!

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 09:55 PM
    My brother in law was given a new iPhone for work. It's so locked down its useless. They only put travel apps and a few others so he can travel the country for them like a pond. The good news, they track him every step of the way......lol. Yes iphone grants all apps and BlackBerry none in the corporate world.....NOT!

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 09:59 PM
52 123