Hello,

I've got 9700. Apps like Facebook, Gmail App etc. are not working over Wifi. I do not have a data plan, so I use Wifi. Why it asks for APN etc. when I don't want to use data plan ?

Why its not working over Wifi like it works in all the other devices.

Thanks.
    10-18-10 03:40 AM
    without a data plan, you will not be able to use any of those apps at all.

It's as simple as that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 05:03 AM
    without a data plan, you will not be able to use any of those apps at all.

It's as simple as that.

Can I know the reason ?
    10-18-10 05:08 AM
    (One silly comment: A BB handeheld is mainly a data transfer device for communicating over a data based network - without a data plan you have excluded your device from its main purpose - data transfer).

Maybe a common mobile telephone would have been better .......... Or an iPhone?
    But it cannot communicate over a Wifi. Weird!!!! I shifted from iPhone to BB and got the best one that was in the market i.e: Bold 9700 (Torch is not launched). But it has failed in so many ways!
    10-18-10 05:41 AM
    you can log in via web for facebook and gmail,on wifi for apps to work you need a data plan>>>>>>>>
    10-18-10 06:33 AM
    I love how the phone has 'failed' when the user won't get BIS (Blackberry INTERNET service)

this is all user inflicted. I'm not flaming but do some research next time. Don't call the phone a failure when its a user created problem.

10-18-10 07:23 AM
    I have to agree with Fubaz.

The logic of switching to a BB without wanting to pay for the BIS data plan is like buying an electric car to save on gas, but not wanting to pay the power bill to charge it.

As to the OP's question of WHY they don't work over WiFi. Not every software developer designs their software to be able to use different connections. Many (It used to be MOST, but that's changing) are optimized ONLY for the Data/BIS connection. WHY? Because:
    1) Not all BB's have WiFi.
    2) They are mobile devices designed to be used on the go. Meaning, most places they are used, the phone is going to be on the WAP/BIS data and not WiFi. So, they optimize the apps for that.

Not to sound crass, but, if you don't like that the app you are using does not work over WiFi, you need to take it up with the developer of the App, and not blame the phone. The Phone can not force an app to work over a connection the app was not written to use.
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 10-18-10 at 08:00 AM.
    10-18-10 07:53 AM
    Not to sound crass, but, if you don't like that the app you are using does not work over WiFi, you need to take it up with the developer of the App, and not blame the phone. The Phone can not force an app to work over a connection the app was not written to use.
    This i agree with... ... ...

10-18-10 08:06 AM
    I tried to explain in the 2, 3 or whatever more threads he or she created and they didn't listen or acknowledge me. I don't even think anything was read by the user. Did they even reload the page?!?!

10-18-10 05:49 PM
    Blackberry written apps use the RIM noc to transport data. No data feature no access to the NOC. Simple as that.
    10-18-10 05:57 PM
    I tried to explain in the 2, 3 or whatever more threads he or she created and they didn't listen or acknowledge me. I don't even think anything was read by the user. Did they even reload the page?!?!

RB, don't you think that sometimes your banging your head against a brick wall!
    10-18-10 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD