It irks me a bit with all these apps requesting to have access to the info on my device, and it irritates me even more if I choose to decline letting it have access that I can't even use the app. Some apps let you decline and still have access but some forces you to accept otherwise you can't even use it. Those apps that force me to accept without a good reason ends up being deleted. I won't compromise my privacy and security simply to use an app (that more than likely I can find an alternative for).

I understand that certain apps require access to your device such as GPS, location, or contacts because that is the main function of the app but apps such as games do not need to access all my files, my location, and/or my contacts.

So if the access is uncalled for and I can't choose to decline, the app gets deleted.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-16-13 10:14 AM
    I agree 100%. I just deleted the Crackberry Forums app because it requests access to my files and when I declined access, it won't load. So in reality it should REQUIRE access to my files. At any rate, I'm not giving the app access to my files so I deleted it. I've survived this long without the app, I'm sure I can survive a little while longer.
    02-17-13 09:45 AM
    You also need to go one step further after you delete. Email the publisher and tell them that you deleted it because of that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-17-13 09:52 AM
    I agree 100%. I just deleted the Crackberry Forums app because it requests access to my files and when I declined access, it won't load. So in reality it should REQUIRE access to my files. At any rate, I'm not giving the app access to my files so I deleted it. I've survived this long without the app, I'm sure I can survive a little while longer.
    The reason it wants access to your files is because the app has the ability to upload images from your phone.

Guess what? That requires access to your files.

But, it does seem that many apps want more access to parts of the phone than they really need.

Does BB10 still let you set the level of access an app can have? Or is it like android where they tell you what it wants but you can't deny any of it?
    djdragon and BlackQtCoder like this.
    02-17-13 10:08 AM
    The access to the files I can understand being necessary for a lot of apps, but requiring access to my device identifying info is a no go for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 10:13 AM
    Device Identifying Info is so that they know the unique users, and in the case of paid apps -- your licensing. In a lot of ways no different than your IP address, which is logged because you're on the forum.

I wouldn't get too concerned about that. It's when it starts asking for your contacts and other personal information.
    02-17-13 10:43 AM
    One of the things I hate is required access to BBM. First of all I dont use BBM anymore because I have no friends on a BB. When I did I dont like the fact that some apps use BBM to send messages or change your profile to include a location. Most apps will give you the option to link or not to link but BBuzz "requires" BBM access. Our devices are getting more and more out of our control.
    02-17-13 11:09 AM
    The reason it wants access to your files is because the app has the ability to upload images from your phone.

Guess what? That requires access to your files.

But, it does seem that many apps want more access to parts of the phone than they really need.

Does BB10 still let you set the level of access an app can have? Or is it like android where they tell you what it wants but you can't deny any of it?
    BB10 lets you set access levels to apps. You can choose which given access requests you want to accept or decline. You can also make changes to these requests in the Security section in Settings. However, it depends on the apps itself whether you can still use it after you decline. Android doesn't let you do any of this? Seriously? That is a major fail in my book.

I understand that certain apps require access to certain sections of your phone like a Maps app needs GPS access to your device but apps like the game Diamond Wonderland HD doesn't need access to all my files, GPS, PIN, etc. It's a freaking game for goodness sake, why do you need my GPS location or my PIN? And the darn thing simply shuts down if I decline even one access request (so deleted it, I did). Makes me wonder why and for what purpose does it really need all those unnecessary infos for?

Also, well-known developers such as EA Games or from BB themselves I tend to trust more - and will allow them access - but most often these more trusted developers' requests are more reasonable (like Maps requiring GPS access and nothing else). Since Apps can be developed by anyone out there, I do look carefully at who the developer is and why do they need access to certain info. Most often requests to access my contacts and specific identifiers are denied.

Personally, I think these apps accessing our device is a major security issue that people/media should be more aware and be more wary. Presently, I think we tend to be overconfident about the security of our mobile devices and don't think twice about what could be sucked out of our devices into unknown hands.
    02-17-13 12:08 PM
    Another reason "device identifying information" can be required is for ad-supported apps. Without access to that info, you'll be shown really generic ads which you'll probably never be interested in, and the developer will also make little or no revenue. Entirely a user's call whether they allow that in such a case... I'm totally undecided on the whole advertising thing for now, both as a user and as a developer. I don't think it makes for a healthy ecosystem, at least when it becomes too widespread.
    02-17-13 03:52 PM
    Personally, I think these apps accessing our device is a major security issue that people/media should be more aware and be more wary. Presently, I think we tend to be overconfident about the security of our mobile devices and don't think twice about what could be sucked out of our devices into unknown hands.
    Personally, I look at it as to what really does the app stand to gain by knowing my Contacts, or what files I have on my device. I don't keep top secret documents on my phone, nor have top secret conversations. If some hacker in some distant country gains access to my Aunt Rose's info, what do they stand to gain by that? Same goes for my text messages. If someone somewhere is interested in hockey talk, or other mundane conversations I have, then I say whatevs. Telemarketers already hassle the isht out of people as it is, and as long as an app isn't sending money costing sms messages to people, it doesn't bother me. Why? Because I'm pretty certain in todays world, anyone who has any kind of online account anywhwere has already sacrificed their privacy. Of course, some people sleep better at night thinking they are secure and their privacy is intact, which is fine, whatever helps you sleep better at night imo.
    02-17-13 04:09 PM
    Yeah some of them are shady. A camera mute app that requires access to my contacts? A unit conversion app that needs my gps. Delete immediately.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-17-13 05:18 PM
    BB10 lets you set access levels to apps. You can choose which given access requests you want to accept or decline. You can also make changes to these requests in the Security section in Settings. However, it depends on the apps itself whether you can still use it after you decline. Android doesn't let you do any of this? Seriously? That is a major fail in my book.

I actually prefer the "all or nothing" approach to "selectively pick permissions and hope it works."

If a developer is being sneaky by demanding too many permissions, why would I want the app (hobbled or not) on my device? If the permissions are weird, I'm not going to bother with tinkering with functionality. Get off my device.

Having said that, in my experience, reputable developers can always explain reasons for specific permissions.
    02-17-13 06:41 PM
    I actually prefer the "all or nothing" approach to "selectively pick permissions and hope it works."

If a developer is being sneaky by demanding too many permissions, why would I want the app (hobbled or not) on my device? If the permissions are weird, I'm not going to bother with tinkering with functionality. Get off my device.

Having said that, in my experience, reputable developers can always explain reasons for specific permissions.
    Well, having selectivity gives the user a choice. You can choose to go all or nothing or some. So it satisfies users such as yourself and others who prefer to be selective. Additionally, a user may prefer to use only a specific function of the app but not another, so they can choose the security level they want that will still allow them to use the part they want to use.

Of course, all this is what we see but we don't know if the developer can sneakily stick in a code to get our data with or without our permission. I wonder if that is possible? Seems plausible to me - I don't know what checks and balances BB makes when they approve these apps. It is no wonder certain businesses that require high security limit the types and source of apps their employees can download and install. Security will be a major issue to contemplate when we start to use our phones for monetary transactions and keep credit card info on our phones, and I think apps may be a major source of security leakage.
    02-17-13 07:01 PM