09-22-11 10:15 PM
830 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Price???

Can I pay now? What about buying stock?
    09-18-08 03:40 PM
    I like "Blackstar." Northstar is overused in my area. When ever you can't come up with a name, people say Northstar. Blackstar, sounds good. It has a nice ring to it. It would be easy to create graphics for also.
    If its easy to make a graphics could you make us one, because cook and I'm are **** making graphics and it properly takes us ages as well.
    09-19-08 02:23 AM
    Here's one for starters. Do with as you like.
    09-19-08 09:25 AM
    I like the image. I really liked the name Blackstar, I was just concerned about people "getting it" that it was for navigation. I think the image with the north pointing arrow brings it all together. Good Job!

So far, I think Blackstar is ahead of Right On, sorry sam

BTW just to be picky, which should it be, Blackstar or Black Star? Or even BlackStar?

Anyone else have a name suggestion? We are still open to other ideas.
    09-19-08 09:50 AM
    I like the image. I really liked the name Blackstar, I was just concerned about people "getting it" that it was for navigation. I think the image with the north pointing arrow brings it all together. Good Job!

So far, I think Blackstar is ahead of Right On, sorry sam

BTW just to be picky, which should it be, Blackstar or Black Star? Or even BlackStar?

Anyone else have a name suggestion? We are still open to other ideas.
    Thanks! As I'm sure you can tell, I'm not a graphics guy (but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night) . My vote would be BlackStar. Since we have a BlackBerry and RIM choose to make both B's upper case.
    09-19-08 09:59 AM
    What another great little app. Love it..

Can you provide a text copy function like Paul Haenel did on his app. It's kinda neat to be able to be able to copy your current location and paste it into a file or an email (WTFRU? - here...)

Foot of Grand Dixence Dam
    Longitude: 7.403783
    Latitude: 46.084369
    Altitude: 2217.0 m
    Altitude: 7273.62 feet

This location is at the foot of the highest dam in Europe (About 1000ft high and is supposed to contain more concrete than the Hoover dam, who knows?) and I copied the screen from Paul's app.

I also like your logo. I doubt this is possible but could you use that in place of the arrow - would look very cool.
    09-19-08 10:42 AM
    What another great little app. Love it..

I also like your logo. I doubt this is possible but could you use that in place of the arrow - would look very cool.
    Pete, It would look cool but it would not make since because the program not only uses that arrow for pointing to north it uses it to point to the destination as well (if one has been selected) and the destination may not be north!

I have sent Paul and David a set of compass graphics complete with coordinates. This graphic looks and works great in a version of the program that I hacked. The compass comes up instead of the arrow and then the arrow comes up along side if you choose a destination. I was using it to GeoCache last week in Albany. I don't see this ever replacing my trusty Garmin, but I always have my BlackBerry with and don't always have my Garmin. Come to think of it, the logo could be used instead of the compass but personally I like the compass better.

Stay tuned - I get the feeling that exciting things are happening!
    09-19-08 11:12 AM
    Hi all,

Fantastic we finally got some suggestions. I really like the name and the icon Thxs BruceRTL - you are the graphics man lol.

I will be working hard the weekend to get the new version as gd as the logo. I ll bring the copy and past feature back - > Pete6

Have a gd one.
    09-19-08 12:06 PM
    I love it!! Blackstar... coming soon to a Blackberry near you. (THX sound effects in the background)
    09-19-08 04:22 PM
    This application is exactly what I have been wanting! When I am so far from civilization that I really need the GPS functionality, I am also out of range of data coverage.

I like the name "BlackStar" for the reasons cited earlier, and I like the logo.

However, being an engineer, the temptation to optimize just a little bit more was too much ... So how about a logo with a black star and the red "N" and arrow as before, but with the four major points and four minor points of the compass instead of a standard 5-sided star? I have attached a sample.

No offense is intended to "BruceRTL." I am just trying to build on your great idea.
    09-19-08 04:38 PM
    Since this thread is getting long - how about posting a current link to the software(s)?
    09-19-08 04:42 PM
    No offense is intended to "BruceRTL." I am just trying to build on your great idea.
    None taken! I like it! Well done...
    09-19-08 05:04 PM
    Since this thread is getting long - how about posting a current link to the software(s)?
    Current version is here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/app...tml#post683894
    09-19-08 05:16 PM
    Keep in mind, we are planning on a new release in a few days.
    09-19-08 07:57 PM
    This application is exactly what I have been wanting! When I am so far from civilization that I really need the GPS functionality, I am also out of range of data coverage.

I like the name "BlackStar" for the reasons cited earlier, and I like the logo.

However, being an engineer, the temptation to optimize just a little bit more was too much ... So how about a logo with a black star and the red "N" and arrow as before, but with the four major points and four minor points of the compass instead of a standard 5-sided star? I have attached a sample.

I like the new image. It looks great! Thanks!!
    09-19-08 08:01 PM
    None taken! I like it! Well done...
    Bob G and BruceRTL

i love your images but the problem is the are too big!! we need them in dimensions of 36x36 and they need to be transparent (the bg behind the blackstar). I try to resize it my self but it goes all fussy .
    09-20-08 03:42 AM
    Where are the waypoints saved to? I would like to save a couple of waypoints when I upgrade.
    09-20-08 06:45 AM
    Bob G and BruceRTL

i love your images but the problem is the are too big!! we need them in dimensions of 36x36 and they need to be transparent (the bg behind the blackstar). I try to resize it my self but it goes all fussy .
    36x36 pixels! Wow - that's not much to work with. I have taken Bob's graphic, removed the background, and scaled the image. Give this one a try.

FYI, If you haven't heard of GIMP. It's a free open source graphics program that I'm using to manipulate this. Some of my friends prefer it over PhotoShop. Google it and download it - it's good stuff.

I'm thinking that at this size, the "N" and arrow are a little difficult to see. Let me know what you think. I can adjust it further if necessary. I'll aso try to scale my original graphic down to the 36x36 and see how that renders.
    09-20-08 09:49 AM
    I didn't like my original at the 36x36 restriction. I did go back and make the "N" larger and the arrow more pronounced.

It's going to be 100 today here in Phoenix and I'm taking the boat out to the lake. (yes we have lakes here in the desert) I'm looking forward to using my BlackBerry/GPS/BlackStar software today in the boat.

Cheers everyone
    09-20-08 09:56 AM
    After further investigation, I believe that the originall graphics I uploaded were not transparent. I think this graphic is now transparent. Ok now I'm out of here! - No Really!
    09-20-08 10:47 AM
    Are you guys going to add a version number? I've been on vacation so ill load it and check it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-08 12:35 PM
    After further investigation, I believe that the originall graphics I uploaded were not transparent. I think this graphic is now transparent. Ok now I'm out of here! - No Really!

Thanks BruceRTL! Good work shrinking it. I wasn't sure of the size, so I made the original large.

I'm excited for the new release, but we're headed for the sticks this weekend, so I'll get to put GPS Nav (maybe to become "BlackStar") to good use.
    09-20-08 01:15 PM
    Are you guys going to add a version number? I've been on vacation so ill load it and check it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yep we will start having version numbers.

Where are the waypoints saved to? I would like to save a couple of waypoints when I upgrade.
    The waypoints and all the data are stored in a Database. You should be able to keep the waypoints but you better of asking Cook just to double check( which we have now lol).
    09-20-08 02:02 PM
    The waypoints and all the data are stored in a Database. You should be able to keep the waypoints but you better of asking Cook just to double check( which we have now lol).
    Currently, you have to use desktop manager to remove the app then add in the new one. At least that is how I have been having to do it. When you delete the app, the database gets deleted with it. So, you will need to manually write the waypoints down and reenter them.

It hadn't occurred to me that there would be a use for an export function. But we can add that to the list.
    09-20-08 05:05 PM
    cook and everyone,

The wont be any need to remove the app and then install the app. The desktop manager will update the current version. so therefore the db doesnt get erased. But if you dont believe or u just want to make sure then you can back it up / write the waypoints down .
    09-20-08 05:12 PM
830 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD