This app is EXCELLENT! MEGA KUDOS to everyone who has and is working on it!!!!
    08-25-08 05:05 PM
    All calculations are done with coordinates in ddd.dddddd format. So when it is displaying MGRS, it is converted from the lat/long format to MGRS. Then when you manually enter a MGRS waypoint, it converts it to lat/long in order to save it and to compare it to the current location. So with every one of those calculations, there is a possibility for errors.

The problem I am seeing is this:
    1. click "new Waypoint"
    behind the scenes, it gets current location in lat/long format and converts it to MGRS to display

2. Click save waypoint without changing anything
    behind the scenes, the MGRS is converted to lat/long and stored

3. Click "List Waypoints" and select the waypoint you created

4. You will see that you are probably .15 miles from that location, but you should be right there.
    behind the scenes, the waypoint you selected is in lat/long format and is compared to the current lat/long

This error could either be in the conversion from lat/long to MGRS in step 1 or the mgrs to lat/long conversion in step 2. I am not sure which, it could even be in both. I tried to help fix the error by adding in a certain amount(I can't remember while writing this what that amount is) but I don't think it helped much.

If you have a way to validate the current location is displaying with a good accuracy, we could narrow it down.
    I think I understand the problem: when you enter in a destination in MGRS format, it is converted to lon/lat. When that is done, it converts back to MGRS and takes you to the location -- creating .15 mile error. Am I correct?

I think I have a couple of opportunitys to help you with this. What information do you need and how much data? I was thinking about sending you the MGRS digits from a known location. Also sending you lon/lat from the bb as well as MGRS from the bb. Would that help? I was planning on giving you about 3 sets of data from from two separate locations that are 1200 miles apart. One set of data would be from about the 49th parallel. The other would be from about the 30th parallel (north of course). That would pretty much cover 95% of the north american continent.
    08-25-08 09:04 PM
    Maybe this would help:

MGRS calculator:
    HQ ARRC COORDINATES CONVERSION CALCULATOR

change the settings from 6 fig to 10 fig and the read out should be the same as your program.

In fact, here is a better (more trustworthy) program from a .mil site:
    NGA: (U) GEOTRANS 2.4.1 Geographic Translator (UNCLASSIFIED)
    08-25-08 09:09 PM
    I used to .mil windows program. Sitting at my computer I got these results:

Lat/Lon from BB: 46.71562N 92.13007W
    MGRS from BB: 15T WM 66603e 73926n

I entered the Lat/Lon from the BB and got this from the program:
    15T WM 66487e 73930

To me, it looks like the easting is off. 66603-66487=116 meters

116 meters = 0.072079 miles
    0.072079 x 2 = 0.144158 miles
    Close to what you reported as the error.

If it is being converted twice, this would be the problem. Hope this helps. The .mil site includes source code in the master file.
    Last edited by sam1ee; 09-03-08 at 01:05 PM. Reason: correction
    08-25-08 09:37 PM
    Excellent info Sam, that is exactly what I need.

I will try to go through this and see if I can find the error. Unfortunately that code is in c instead of java so I can't just plug it in, but I should be able to do a comparison. It really helps that it is narrowed down to just the easting.

I will let you know what I find. Thanks!
    08-26-08 07:07 AM
    I just want to say thanks to those working on this wonderful app. I downloaded it last week and tried it out on the weekend geocaching with my son. He used the Garmin and I used my Curve running this app and I was more accurate.
    Keep up the good work!
    08-27-08 11:06 PM
    Here's what I promised, more data from 1200 miles south:

BB Lon/Lat: 31.39875 89.25857
    BB MGRS: 16R BV 85079e 76022n
    conversion from nima.mil: 16R BV 85248e 76001n

similar problem with easting: 85248-85079=169 meters
    08-29-08 07:21 AM

I got both of those coordinates while they were jumping around. I don't think the difference in errors between the two locations is a factor. Who knows if the coordinates were the same when I switched options? That's how I account for the northing errors.
    08-29-08 07:25 AM

Now that is what I call dedication. Travelling 1200 miles just to test the MGRS conversion in the app. OK, now do you mind going to Australia and let me know what results you get there?

It is good to know it is fairly consistent. I have started looking at the C code from the website you mentioned, but I am not getting far with trying to follow it. I am dedicated to figuring this out though...

Thanks for the info
    08-29-08 07:58 AM
    Actually, I'm visiting family in MS and waiting for huricane Gustav to hit. I'm going to try to fly back up to WI on Tuesday (ha, ha). I don't think I could make it to Australia. Costs too much
    08-30-08 04:48 PM
    Okay, I am sitting in the exact same location as before. Lets see what I get now.

BB L/L:46.71576 92.13017
    BB MGRS: 15T WM 66479e 73928n

I get the exact answer from the .mil software.

MGRS is fixed from my where I'm sitting.

I used to .mil windows program. Sitting at my computer I got these results:

Lat/Lon from BB: 46.71562N 92.13007W
    MGRS from BB: 15T WM 66603e 73926n

I entered the Lat/Lon from the BB and got this from the program:
    15T WM 66487e 73930

To me, it looks like the easting is off. 66603-66487=116 meters

116 meters = 0.072079 miles
    0.072079 x 2 = 0.144158 miles
    Close to what you reported as the error.

If it is being converted twice, this would be the problem. Hope this helps. The .mil site includes source code in the master file.
    09-03-08 01:14 PM
    For anyone using the MGRS coordinate format, here is an updated version that fixes the MGRS conversion error we were experiencing. Sam1ee has verified the accuracy of the conversion.

This update only contains the MGRS fix, no other enhancements.
    09-04-08 07:09 AM
    Hey there cook, how you coming with some more updates??? I tried it out in the woods the other day, worked ok. I'll give it a good try this week when i go back out and try to find my tree stand using your program.
    09-09-08 06:49 AM
    Hey there cook, how you coming with some more updates??? I tried it out in the woods the other day, worked ok. I'll give it a good try this week when i go back out and try to find my tree stand using your program.
    RockAndRollAcdc,

Do you have any suggestions for updates?
    09-09-08 05:41 PM
    Yea, look back at the other post I posted in this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-08 05:47 PM
    I am only partially in the game right now, my laptop is still not back up and running. But I expect it to be back soon. I am set up with the JDE on another computer, but I don't have my version control software.

Paul has been looking at the GPX and LOC waypoint file imports. That will be a huge step for all geocachers using this app. I am excited about that one.

Other things on "the list" are:

1. When changing coordinate format in the options, it does not change the format in the Mark Waypoint screen.

2. Improve the compass arrows. Right now, it is 36 arrow images in 10 degree increments. It is not very sensitive. I would like to see it as one image rotated x degrees.

3. Verify if the accuracy information is being displayed properly. I am not confident it is.

4. There is a lot of drifting of the arrows when going slow. This is because of accuracy of gps. There may be some type of algorithm to smooth that out using averaging or something. But this might cause more problems than it solves

5. backlight control - add something to the options to keep the backlight on for a longer period of time, possibly even constantly when the battery is over half full.

6. Clean up the display. Nice box layout or something. Maybe even a separate navigation display with less information on it to clean it up. Use fonts, make it look more clean.

7. Display number of satellites locked in.

8. Someone has asked to send coordinates via bluetooth to laptop. That would probably just be a separate app as it may not fit in with this one.

9. Allow tracking. Record waypoints every xx seconds or meters, or whatever

We are open to other suggestions.
    09-09-08 09:55 PM
    looking like your on the right track. looking forward to the updates
    09-10-08 06:29 AM
    I am only partially in the game right now, my laptop is still not back up and running. But I expect it to be back soon. I am set up with the JDE on another computer, but I don't have my version control software.
    Dave & Paul,

I have a nice little compass graphic that I put together that looks pretty good. It actually looks like a compass spinning! I added an extra for/next loop to read in that graphic. The original "arrow" graphic also shows the direction to your waypoint when navigating to a waypoint. I would be happy to it zip up and send you that new code to you guys. I'm in Albany, NY this week for business and tried to find a couple of geocaches close to my motel using this GPS program - but was unsuccessful. My blackberry would say the cache is 30 feet this way and then 25 feet the other way. I'm much more use to my Garmin (which was back at the motel).

09-10-08 09:07 PM
    hi BruceRTL,

yeah that would be create if we could use that. I was going to implement a nice graphic once i had finished the file reader stuff. You have my email so just email it across and i'll import it .

Regards

Paul
    09-11-08 02:56 AM
    hi BruceRTL,

yeah that would be create if we could use that. I was going to implement a nice graphic once i had finished the file reader stuff. You have my email so just email it across and i'll import it .

Regards

Paul
    Paul,

I'll email them on Sunday. They are on my desktop computer in Arizona. I'm in Albany, NY right now.
    09-11-08 11:53 AM
    Hi all,

Cook46933 and paul.haenel need your help. We need a Logo for the application and a suitable name, because we are developers we have a **** brain which can't think of something suitable. So any suggestion please post or emial us by beginning of next week. As "price" we will release a new version of the application as well. With bug fixes and new features which make geo-caching much easier.
    09-15-08 08:29 AM
    Hi all,

Cook46933 and paul.haenel need your help. We need a Logo for the application and a suitable name, because we are developers we have a **** brain which can't think of something suitable. So any suggestion please post or emial us by beginning of next week. As "price" we will release a new version of the application as well. With bug fixes and new features which make geo-caching much easier.
    Right on!!!
    09-15-08 03:37 PM
    Right on!!!
    No, that isn't my suggestion for a name. But it would work.
    09-15-08 03:49 PM
    Since it shows you where north is, I recommend the name, "North Star". I was origanally thinking Black Star since it runs on a Blackberry but I think North Star sounds better. Just my opinion.....
    09-18-08 02:22 PM
    Since it shows you where north is, I recommend the name, "North Star". I was origanally thinking Black Star since it runs on a Blackberry but I think North Star sounds better. Just my opinion.....
    I like "Blackstar." Northstar is overused in my area. When ever you can't come up with a name, people say Northstar. Blackstar, sounds good. It has a nice ring to it. It would be easy to create graphics for also.
    09-18-08 03:39 PM
830 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD