09-22-11 10:15 PM
830 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Let me know how the geocaching goes. That was my intent on using it too. You will need to make sure you get the coordinates from the website in dd.ddddd format. Geocaching.com's default format is dd mm.mmmm. But each cache page has a "Other Conversions" link which displays the coords in different formats.

{SNIP}

But it definitely looks like you and I are planning on using this the proper way, for geocaching!!!
    Let me know when you have implemented your ideas! So far I used GPSed, bbTracker or GPSdisplay to get my directions: "Okay, I need to reduce the latitude by 3 ...so I have to got...*looking* there". So I had my own compass in my head Now, this way it should be A LOT easier.
    07-31-08 12:01 PM
    Any free apps OTA?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 03:50 PM
    Here we go guys all you need is the desktop manager to install the files .

the code file : CrackBerryProject.cod
    the alx file: CrackBerryProject.alx

any problem with the application or any more queries let me know and i ll see what i can do for u guys.

PS: 4x4 geek - i live in the UK so i might be difficult with the beer . But thanks for the offer anyway .

Paul
    Everytime I try to download the alx file it come to a error.
    07-31-08 06:20 PM
    For those who were looking for MGRS format, I found a conversion routine that someone wrote and incorporated it. I'm not too proud to be lazy

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the conversion, I will leave that up to those familiar with it. Did I mention I was lazy??

But feel free to give it a shot.
    08-01-08 08:33 AM
    Okay, first attempt today to use the new and improved version cook sent us. I entered the coordinates using dd.dddddd format (I knew about the conversion button on geocashing.com ). But my BB acted a bit weird today and it took about 15 mins until I got a sattelite connection. I pointed then more or less towards the destination. Will have to try this once again.

But do you think it might be possible to add another line in the display? Especially giving an info about how far I am still away from it? It should be pretty easy, once we know how long it is from 51,123456 to 51.123457 . Same applies to longitude. Thus you'd have to subtract the destination from the actual position (for longitude and latitude in modulus...or is it called absolut value? Point is: it shouldn't be negative), use a simple pythagoras (a+b=c) square root that and there you are.

You think that's possible? Would be great. Oh, not to forget to make it metric

Hope to hear from you,
    Patrick

PS: By the way...I found the cache.
    08-01-08 05:18 PM
    I like the MGRS addition, as well as the compass. The MGRS format looks a little strange but I will check it with a plugger or dagger (military GPS) tomorrow to let you know what you need to change. MGRS format is usually to letters (grid designators)followed by 6, 8, 10 ,12 numbers: Depending on accuracy. I see you have 10 numbers which gets accuracy to 1 meter. 8 numbers are accurate to 10 meters. 6 is accurate to 100 meters.
    08-01-08 09:52 PM
    Thanks for the feedback!! The distance to destination is there, but it is in miles. I will include metric distances within the next day or two. I think I can include accuracy and # of satellites too without much trouble. The only problem is the screen is getting cluttered. I may look into designing a new navigation screen. I think the new screen would have the arrow, distance, accuracy.

I understand what you mean about it pointing "more or less" toward the destination. I am not very happy with the arrows. I have not been able to come up with a really good way to rotate one arrow at arbitrary angles. I got frustrated and resorted to 36 different images at 10 degree increments which does not give a real clear direction when close to the destination. I will make that better in the future.

I am glad you were able to find the cache!!

David
    08-01-08 10:02 PM
    I like the MGRS addition, as well as the compass. The MGRS format looks a little strange but I will check it with a plugger or dagger (military GPS) tomorrow to let you know what you need to change. MGRS format is usually to letters (grid designators)followed by 6, 8, 10 ,12 numbers: Depending on accuracy. I see you have 10 numbers which gets accuracy to 1 meter. 8 numbers are accurate to 10 meters. 6 is accurate to 100 meters.
    Thank you for verifying this for me. Like I said, I have no experience with this format. If you find errors, any information you can give me to debug the conversion would be great and I will do what I can.

David
    08-01-08 10:10 PM
    It looked like the conversion worked great! A few requests for change of format for the MGRS version:
    1) change the MGRS output
    a)I get 15T XX 1234567890 (without the spaces)
    i) drop the 15T, keep the XX
    ii) after "12345" put an "e"
    iii) after "67890" put a "n"
    iv) add mils below degrees (360 degrees = 6400 mils)
    v) compass bearing is not needed, not as accurate as a conventional compass and the degrees/mils give direction of travel.

Otherwise great work! The blackberry MGRS put me about 100 meters away from the plugger in both MGRS-old and MGRS-new. This could be from differences in sensitivity, reception, and technology - not a big deal. I found that the blackberry gave me a 10 digit grid before the plugger. The blackberry shifted about 6 meters during the test. The plugger shifted > 50 meters.
    08-02-08 08:50 AM
    It looked like the conversion worked great! A few requests for change of format for the MGRS version:
    1) change the MGRS output:
    i) drop the "15T", keep the "XX"
    ii) after "12345" put an "e" for east
    iii) after "67890" put a "n" for north
    2) additions:
    iv) add mils below the degrees (360 degrees = 6400 mils)
    v) compass bearing is not needed, not as accurate as a conventional compass and the degrees/mils give direction of travel.

Otherwise great work! The blackberry MGRS put me about 100 meters away from the plugger in both MGRS-old and MGRS-new. This could be from differences in sensitivity, reception, and technology - not a big deal. There must not be a huge difference between MGRS-old and MGRS-new for my location. I found that the blackberry gave me a 10 digit grid several minutes faster than the plugger. The blackberry shifted about 6 meters during the test. The plugger shifted > 50 meters.
    08-02-08 08:54 AM
    I test the non-MGRS version and it worked really well. I agree that the screen is starting to get cluttered. I think a seprate screen for navagation would be nice. Still I was able to find the cache easy enough.

08-02-08 09:08 AM
    I added the accuracy display, distance in meters, and direction in mils.
    Edit: attachment deleted. see posts below for a new zip file.
    Last edited by cook46933; 08-02-08 at 04:02 PM.
    08-02-08 11:54 AM
    Thanks, Sam. I am glad it does not seem to be too far off.

I have a couple of questions

1) change the MGRS output:
    i) drop the "15T", keep the "XX"
    Does the 15T not mean anything? My location says 16T.
    ii) after "12345" put an "e" for east
    iii) after "67890" put a "n" for north
    How will I know whether it is east/west north/south. would it come from the 15T?

BTW I added the mils to the latest version in my previous post.

Thanks for field testing it.

David
    08-02-08 12:04 PM
    After the 15T comes the grid designator, which is two letters.
    The next 10 numbers are the grid location within the grid.
    The first 5 numbers of are east.
    The second 5 numbers are north.
    08-02-08 02:59 PM
    If north is up, MGRS is read on a map by going right and up. The first set of numbers gives you the easting. The second set of numbers gives you the northing. You look at the first 2 numbers and that tells you what column of grid squares to look at. The 6-7 numbers will pin point a particular grid square. The following numbers pin point where within a grid square. Hopefully,that helps rather than confuse. Look at Army manual FM 21-26 for more info "Map reading and Land Navagation." I'll try to get excerpts for you later.
    08-02-08 03:03 PM
    If north is up, MGRS is read on a map by going right and up. The first set of numbers gives you the easting. The second set of numbers gives you the northing. You look at the first 2 numbers and that tells you what column of grid squares to look at. The 6-7 numbers will pin point a particular grid square. The following numbers pin point where within a grid square. Hopefully,that helps rather than confuse. Look at Army manual FM 21-26 for more info "Map reading and Land Navagation." I'll try to get excerpts for you later.
    OK I get it now. But I am still thinking the 15T still needs to be displayed, or is there a reason that I am not seeing?

I reformatted the MGRS coordinate as requested.

Do you have any need to be able to enter this format in the destination screen to be able to navigate to it?
    08-02-08 04:07 PM
    Okay, I found out more information on the 15T. The MGRS (Miliary Grid Reference System, US) is a subset of the UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator Grid). The UTM requires that the earth is divided into 60 grids (1-60)(east to west) and 19 (C-X) (north to south). This breaks the earth up into 100,000 meter squares. For example, 15T means that I am in the 15th column and in the row labeled 'T.' The 15T is needed to plot an exact location on the earth, however; the MGRS is only concerned with the 100,000 meter squares. The 100,000 meter square is divided into smaller squares that are represented by two letters. You are correct that the 15T is necessary, whan operating near the border of two or more grids. The UTM grid is given, then the MGRS grid. They are two seperate but related grids. I've just never had the experience of operating near the border of UTM grids yet.
    08-02-08 05:51 PM
    Thanks, Sam. I am glad it does not seem to be too far off.

I have a couple of questions

Does the 15T not mean anything? My location says 16T.

How will I know whether it is east/west north/south. would it come from the 15T?

BTW I added the mils to the latest version in my previous post.

Thanks for field testing it.

David
    The 16T means that you are in the UTM grid (100,000 sq meter) east of me. I'm in northern Wisconsin.
    08-02-08 05:57 PM
    Wikipedia does a great job of explaining

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_coordinate_system
    08-02-08 06:07 PM
    OK I get it now. But I am still thinking the 15T still needs to be displayed, or is there a reason that I am not seeing?

I reformatted the MGRS coordinate as requested.

Do you have any need to be able to enter this format in the destination screen to be able to navigate to it?
    Wow, that would be a great cheating (I mean learning) opportunity for land nav courses. The Army requires us of compass and maps, but entering MGRS grids would rock.
    08-02-08 06:09 PM
    A quick suggestion for cleaning up the screen:

Could you make a seperate viewing page for MGRS? like the destination page?
    It would clear up the front page

Perhaps it could look like this:

UTM: 15T
    MGRS: XX12345e67890n
    Altitude: 380 m
    Degrees: 270
    MILS: 4800
    Speed: 30 kph
    Accuracy: 0.5 m

I love the work you've done so far.

I received an error on the last MGRS version:
    Uncaught exception:
    Index 36>=36
    [OK]

Sam
    Last edited by sam1ee; 08-02-08 at 06:59 PM.
    08-02-08 06:28 PM
    Paul

Is there any chance you can have you program send out the co-ord's over bluetooth??

I want to use the GPS reciever in the BB and bluetooth it to a laptop to be used with another program.

Thanks

Dino

08-03-08 05:04 PM
    Wow, that would be a great cheating (I mean learning) opportunity for land nav courses. The Army requires us of compass and maps, but entering MGRS grids would rock.
    Well, Sam, I tried. Unfortunately the conversion algorithm I am using is having some conversion issues going from MGRS to lat/long. Assuming the lat long to MGRS conversion is accurate, then the conversion from MGRS to lat long is several miles off. It seemed to be approx 0.15 degrees off in each of my test cases. The conversion algorithm is extremely complex. I could probably understand it if given a couple of months, but that is much more of an investment than I am willing to put into it. I will try to contact the developer of the conversion and see if he can provide any insight.

But for now, I took the conversion and simply subtracted .147 from the latitude and it comes to approx .1 miles accuracy. While not good for navigation, it gets you in the vicinity. The way you can check the accuracy is by selecting the Destination Screen, it will populate it with the current location, then click Navigate without changing the destination. In theory, it should say you are within a few feet/meters of the destination, but you will see it it about .1 miles/km. But who knows different locations could be off farther than at my location.

Other changes I made is an options screen to select units for distance, direction, and speed. It cleans up the main screen a bunch.

Also, I think I have the index error fixed.
    Last edited by cook46933; 08-06-08 at 11:27 AM.
    08-06-08 11:15 AM
    Well, Sam, I tried. Unfortunately the conversion algorithm I am using is having some conversion issues going from MGRS to lat/long. Assuming the lat long to MGRS conversion is accurate, then the conversion from MGRS to lat long is several miles off. It seemed to be approx 0.15 degrees off in each of my test cases. The conversion algorithm is extremely complex. I could probably understand it if given a couple of months, but that is much more of an investment than I am willing to put into it. I will try to contact the developer of the conversion and see if he can provide any insight.

But for now, I took the conversion and simply subtracted .147 from the latitude and it comes to approx .1 miles accuracy. While not good for navigation, it gets you in the vicinity. The way you can check the accuracy is by selecting the Destination Screen, it will populate it with the current location, then click Navigate without changing the destination. In theory, it should say you are within a few feet/meters of the destination, but you will see it it about .1 miles/km. But who knows different locations could be off farther than at my location.

Other changes I made is an options screen to select units for distance, direction, and speed. It cleans up the main screen a bunch.

Hum... the best way for me to check the accuracy is to grab a military map and do terrain association. I won't be able to do that until possibly October. No rush on yourside... when I'm able to do that we can troubleshoot what's going on. Like I said, I didn't see much difference between the plugger grid and blackberry grid. I know when I was at FT Knox, the difference between MGRS-1 and MGRS-2 was about a click (1,000 meters). I have heard rumors of an MGRS-3 but I don't have experience with it yet. Anyways, I will keep you posted.

Sam Lee
    08-06-08 03:35 PM

I like the format page!! nice addition. It looks like the error is gone. Let's see, .1 miles = 160 meters? If that is correct it is just outside of the tollerance for a six digit grid (100 m) but it should be close. I usually use six digit grids and drop the two digits off the end. 160 meters off is not bad, unless I'm calling artillery and it ends up 60 meters closer to me

Sam Lee
    Last edited by sam1ee; 08-07-08 at 08:14 AM. Reason: additional info
    08-06-08 03:36 PM
830 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD