09-22-11 10:15 PM
830 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    Not with this version. But we are planning a new release within a few days and hopefully that one will be available OTA if all goes well.
    shesh talk about pulling hens teeth...

http://gpsavenger.sf.net/BlackStar.jad

I haven't tried this, but I use the same method to publish other OTA jad/cod files...

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

cd dist && \
    rm -f * && \
    unzip ../BlackStar.cod && \
    cp -a ../BlackStar.ja[dr] . && \
    scp -P22 BlackStar*.cod BlackStar.ja[dr] delta_foxtrot,gpsavenger@web.sourceforge.net:/home/groups/g/gp/gpsavenger/htdocs/
    I didn't change the code, or even sign the cod files, I just uploaded them in a way that people can do OTA installs... Although it was a SVN version, dunno if that makes much/any diff...
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-07-08 at 09:01 AM.
    12-07-08 08:54 AM
    Update, just tried it then works fine...
    12-07-08 08:59 AM
    ok i got it to load through my desktop mgr it looks good but my compass does not stop moving even with me sitting still.. hmm
    Glad you got it loaded. There are several reasons why your compass will not sit still. Unlike a hand held liquid compass, many GPS's including BlackStar only show which way you are moving. The GPS knows where you are, knows where you were, and figures the direction of travel based on that information. If you are just sitting still the compass starts dancing around because the satellites are purposely spitting out erroneous information. Even though you aren't moving, the GPS thinks you are moving sporadically. The compass in my hand held Garmin GPS (Vista C) actually has an electronic magnetic compass which does not rely on the satellites. This makes a big difference with the dancing compass. But so far we don't have that in the BlackBerry.

Once you start moving your compass will settle down some. The faster you move the more stable it will become. I using BlackStar in a small plane this past week. Flying at 140 mph, the compass didn't move at all.

Make sure you download the new version coming out in a few days. Lots of improvements! Enjoy...
    12-07-08 09:54 AM
    Awesome cant wait thanks......
    12-07-08 10:03 AM
    My Font Family says BBAlpha Sans. Tried 2 others, same issue.

I dont know. This is something I would love to have on my Storm. I am going to try an uninstall/reinstall and see what fruit that bears.

One other issue... the program won't exit. I click Exit and it sits there like my teenage neice.... pretending not to hear me.

George
    12-07-08 11:33 AM
    This thing works great, now all I need is a link to d/l some geo stuff to find. I have not tried catching yet but open to see if I like it.. Where do I get the loc/gpx files to put on the BB ??

Julian
    12-07-08 01:08 PM
    This thing works great, now all I need is a link to d/l some geo stuff to find. I have not tried catching yet but open to see if I like it.. Where do I get the loc/gpx files to put on the BB ??

Julian
    Hi Julian,

Try www.geocaching.com

Peter

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-08 01:18 PM
    Still no joy with Verizon 8330 since they partially opened up the GPS. At least BBMaps works, but would be nice to see current location in Lat/Long form. All I get when opening BlackStar is "No GPS receiver available". I have the options and permission set correctlly.
    12-07-08 01:54 PM
    Still no joy for my Storm. Maybe its just me. This is my first BB, so I am sure that I am at fault.
    12-07-08 03:32 PM
    Still no joy for my Storm. Maybe its just me. This is my first BB, so I am sure that I am at fault.
    Nah it's bound to be how Verizon and RIM have played funny buggers with with APIs to extract more money from users, people keep saying it's unlocked and works with XYZ app, but then others say other apps like gmaps aren't working.
    12-07-08 05:35 PM
    Does anyone know if the Bold comes with the Blackberry Maps application? I just got one but do not believe it came installed. If not, where can I get it?

12-07-08 06:17 PM
    Does anyone know if the Bold comes with the Blackberry Maps application? I just got one but do not believe it came installed. If not, where can I get it?

It should have come with BB Maps. You can double check by going to Options / advanced option / applications. If it's not listed there then it's not installed. If it is there then it's hidding likely in your applications folder or download.

You will find a link here to download it...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/

Best of luck and let us know if that worked for you.

12-07-08 06:23 PM
    shesh talk about pulling hens teeth...

http://gpsavenger.sf.net/BlackStar.jad
    LOL! I never heard that one before. The visual is interesting though
    Thanks for hosting and posting that!

I do have the next version set up on an OTA link, I just need to do some integration testing tomorrow before releasing it.
    12-07-08 06:53 PM
    My Font Family says BBAlpha Sans. Tried 2 others, same issue.

I dont know. This is something I would love to have on my Storm. I am going to try an uninstall/reinstall and see what fruit that bears.

One other issue... the program won't exit. I click Exit and it sits there like my teenage neice.... pretending not to hear me.

George
    Did you check the event log? That would show if B* is having errors. Remember Hold down alt while typing LGLG

If we can identify the error, then we might be able to resolve it with the next release.
    12-07-08 06:58 PM
    LOL! I never heard that one before. The visual is interesting though
    Common aussie saying... Some others you might be interested in, as handy as t.i.t.s on a bull, or as handy as a hip pocket in underpants *ducks*

Thanks for hosting and posting that!
    Np, will remove it when you put a copy up.
    12-07-08 08:06 PM
    For some reason I can't get Black Star to import GPX files from my SC card. I try, but I keep getting this error: "Uncaught exception: Application BlackStar(262) is not responding; process terminated." I'm not sure if I installed BlackStar properly or what the deal is. Anyone have any ideas?
    12-07-08 09:22 PM
    For some reason I can't get Black Star to import GPX files from my SC card. I try, but I keep getting this error: "Uncaught exception: Application BlackStar(262) is not responding; process terminated." I'm not sure if I installed BlackStar properly or what the deal is. Anyone have any ideas?
    Bummer!
    How many caches are in that GPX file you're trying to import? Also, did that file come from Geocaching.com or some third party program like GSAX? How full is your SD card?
    12-07-08 09:30 PM
    BlackStar has problems loading large files. If you keep the files to about 20 caches it should work.

12-07-08 09:31 PM
    Bruce and Cook, you guys are FAST!! Truly amazing.... So, I think the file is just too large. I've loaded the file to my SD card, but there are 100 caches in the file. It's a pocket query from Geocaching.com. I'll try a smaller query and see what happens. Thanks guys!
    12-07-08 09:37 PM
    So, I've tried a few more times, and the program is shutting down while I'm searching for the GXP file, before I even try to import it. Same message: "Uncaught exception: Application BlackStar(284) is not responding; process terminated." Should I try reinstalling BlackStar?
    Last edited by LadyThena; 12-08-08 at 12:28 AM.
    12-08-08 12:21 AM
    I had that issue, it's when you try to do the file processing in the UI thread, you need to run the processing in a BG thread and then update the display at your convienence and it will stop happening, for some code you can pinch I think you guys know where to look *grin*
    12-08-08 01:13 AM
    Okay, I think I figured it out. I'm actually just loading LOC files instead. Way easier. BlackStar seems buggy though in the sense that when I'm looking for the files on the SC card, it asks for permission to access local content like 20 times. However, I really appreciate this free app, and it will work out very well for me. Thanks for creating this app!
    Last edited by LadyThena; 12-08-08 at 02:29 AM.
    12-08-08 02:26 AM
    Okay, I think I figured it out. I'm actually just loading LOC files instead. Way easier. BlackStar seems buggy though in the sense that when I'm looking for the files on the SC card, it asks for permission to access local content like 20 times. However, I really appreciate this free app, and it will work out very well for me. Thanks for creating this app!
    That's not a bug, that's RIM protecting you and their income stream, they charge developers to sign apps, without being able to sign the app, it was $100 now $20 or so, you will get those warnings.
    12-08-08 03:34 AM
    LadyThena, I was running into the very thing you were talking about also. Kind of reminded me of Vista (lol). I asked Cook about this and attached his response below. His suggestion worked for me - now BlackStar no longer asks my permission every time. The downside as Cook mentions, your BB will than ask you for each application if it's ok to run. Answer once for each program and you'll be golden. Good Luck!

Cooks response:
    I did not experience this until I upgraded OS to 4.5, then it was very irritating. The only way I found to avoid it is to enable the firewall on your phone. Go into phone options (wrench icon) and go to security options/Firewall, change the status to enabled. It will then prompt you for each application if you want to trust it or not. But you should only need to answer the question once about allowing B* to access files on your SD card. Downside is each application will prompt you for access
    12-08-08 07:39 AM
    I did not experience this until I upgraded OS to 4.5, then it was very irritating. The only way I found to avoid it is to enable the firewall on your phone. Go into phone options (wrench icon) and go to security options/Firewall, change the status to enabled. It will then prompt you for each application if you want to trust it or not. But you should only need to answer the question once about allowing B* to access files on your SD card. Downside is each application will prompt you for access
    The other way is to buy your own signing keys ($20 or there abouts currently) and sign other peoples apps so you don't need to turn on the firewall. I really don't know how they come up with these schemes that are so annoying that people really end up just turning them off at the first chance.

Pop-up warnings only serve to annoy users into clicking ok...
    12-08-08 10:11 AM
830 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD