09-22-11 10:15 PM
830 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    You must first store the LOC file on your SD card. Then open BlackStar, go to the List Waypoints menu item. Once on the List Waypoints screen, click the Import GPX/LOC File meniu item. Navigate through your files structure until you find your file. Click the file and it will load the waypoints.
    Hum... I was wondering about that. cook, thanks for the info.
    09-29-08 05:47 PM
    Okay, you all got me geo-caching. Found my first two points with B*!!! And I have a requests:

Night-mode (option): Black background with red letters and arrow. This will prevent loosing night vision when geo-caching at night. Also it would leave less of a "light footprint" for others to follow.
    09-30-08 08:05 PM
    Okay, you all got me geo-caching. Found my first two points with B*!!! And I have a requests:

Night-mode (option): Black background with red letters and arrow. This will prevent loosing night vision when geo-caching at night. Also it would leave less of a "light footprint" for others to follow.
    I knew we would get you sooner or later
    10-01-08 08:17 AM

Welcome to Geocaching. Did you find your first two at night? I've only bagged around 250 caches but I don't think any of them were found at night. Good Job!
    10-01-08 08:49 AM
    there's an app on g e o l o c . c o m (google geoloc or geolocme) that will display your lat/long, with our without the GPS on your device... plots the points in Google Maps.
    10-01-08 01:42 PM
    Welcome to Geocaching. Did you find your first two at night? I've only bagged around 250 caches but I don't think any of them were found at night. Good Job!
    Yes, the last one was near dark. The white screen kept blinding me. It was difficult to find an ammo can, in the dark, buried under rocks... but I let my dog off the leash and she walked right up to it. (Is it against the rules to use dogs when you get close?) I think an option for a black background with red letters would help greatly for night caching.

I am new to this, is B* comparable to other gps's? Do I need to buy a gps, or stick with B*?
    10-01-08 02:00 PM
    10-01-08 02:10 PM
    Yes, the last one was near dark. The white screen kept blinding me. It was difficult to find an ammo can, in the dark, buried under rocks... but I let my dog off the leash and she walked right up to it. (Is it against the rules to use dogs when you get close?) I think an option for a black background with red letters would help greatly for night caching.

I am new to this, is B* comparable to other gps's? Do I need to buy a gps, or stick with B*?
    You can geocache with B* by itself and do just fine. But it all depends on the situation.

Last weekend I went geocaching all day and got 21. I used my Magellan in that situation. When I go out for a couple hours to get a few, I use B*.

There is some additional funcitonality that a handheld GPS has that B* doesn't, YET. But there is some functionality that B* has that GPS doesn't, and won't. i.e. full cache descriptions if you load a GPX file instead of LOC. FYI, you need to be a premium member of Geocaching.com to create GPX files, members using free account can only download LOC files.

Pros and cons

Handheld GPS PRO:
    interchangeable batteries
    typically 500 waypoint storage
    maps
    DURABLE AND WATERPROOF(mostly)
    sort waypoints by distance

Handheld GPS CON:
    no cache description
    separate piece of equipment you need to take with you
    need additional software for maps
    need additional software on PC to transfer waypoints
    additional cost to purchase the unit

BlackStar PRO:
    Full Cache description
    no extra equipment other than GPS enabled phone. Replaces handheld GPS and PDA and Paper.
    convenient - already have phone with you
    load caches from GPX or LOC, no separate software
    more features coming

BlackStar CON:
    Constant GPS usage can drain battery, not as easy to keep charged if using all day
    Can't load large GPX files, yet. Paul is working on it.
    BB is more fragile, don't want to drop it in the river or on rocks.
    Get bumped out when a call comes in.

I am sure there are others that can add to this list, but that was off the top of my head

Another advantage of B* is you no longer need to play the "my GPS is a phone" trick when someone is watching you because it IS your phone

Bottom line, I don't think it will totally replace my Magellan, but it can come close. But at the same time, I would have a VERY hard time to justify buying a handheld GPS if I didn't already have one.
    10-01-08 02:43 PM
    Hey there cook and friends

How you coming along with another update? I'm hoping in the next release that you address the back light on the phone. I like the idea of your background changing color for night time. Also would like option to have backlight stay on.

Looking forward to next release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-08 05:46 PM
    Perhaps a black background would be battery friendly... I don't know?
    10-01-08 08:26 PM
    there's an app on g e o l o c . c o m (google geoloc or geolocme) that will display your lat/long, with our without the GPS on your device... plots the points in Google Maps.
    This raises a question about a future enhancement. Pardon me if it's been asked/answered already (while I've read all the pages, it's been a few weeks).

Are there any plans to write out the waypoints to a file for uploading to Google Maps or geocaching sites? I'm planning a long distance motorcycle ride from Texas to California up the west coast and back through Nevada/Utah. It'd be nice if I could save important locations as waypoints and then upload them into Google Maps using their KML format. I could also then upload pics with GPS coords in the EXIF to document the journey.

geoloc seems to only record the current position on a google map without any ability to save/annotate the map.

Just a thought.
    10-01-08 09:02 PM
    Should've searched before posting - must be sleep deprivation. What I described is what GPSed and BBTracker do. If enough people are interested, it'd be a nice edition, but you may want to focus on unique things like the compass (which is a very cool feature).
    10-01-08 10:11 PM
    Hey there cook and friends

How you coming along with another update? I'm hoping in the next release that you address the back light on the phone. I like the idea of your background changing color for night time. Also would like option to have backlight stay on.

Looking forward to next release.

We have been waiting to make sure there were no major issues with the current release before continuing on additional activities. But we are getting ready to start adding more features.

Have you had a chance to check your GPS accuracy using the method in my previous post? It will help determine if there is a problem or just an accuracy issue.
    10-02-08 08:05 AM
    This raises a question about a future enhancement. Pardon me if it's been asked/answered already (while I've read all the pages, it's been a few weeks).

Are there any plans to write out the waypoints to a file for uploading to Google Maps or geocaching sites? I'm planning a long distance motorcycle ride from Texas to California up the west coast and back through Nevada/Utah. It'd be nice if I could save important locations as waypoints and then upload them into Google Maps using their KML format. I could also then upload pics with GPS coords in the EXIF to document the journey.

geoloc seems to only record the current position on a google map without any ability to save/annotate the map.

Just a thought.
    We have plans for an export of waypoints, probably in GPX format. Eventually it will be there.
    10-02-08 08:07 AM
    BruceRTL and I have both tried to fix the accuracy that is being reported, but have had no luck. It always reports approx 3 ft accuracy, which is almost impossible with the most expensive handheld gps receivers.

I also have estimated my own gps accuracy at approximatel 20 ft even though it says 3 ft on the screen.

RockAndRollAcdc, try this. Mark your current location as a new waypoint. Without moving, set it as your destination. Let me know how far away it thinks you are. Watch it for a minute or so and see how far it drifts. That will be your accuracy.

Try this at your parking location of your truck before walking into your hunting spot, you may have less accuracy with a thick tree cover.

I suspect your GPS accuracy is probably around 40 ft. This would account for the wacky arrrows as you get closer to destinaction or when walking slowly.

Even with my Magellan handheld GPSr, when I get close to the destination, the arrow tends to drift. Maybe not as bad as BlackStar may be doing, but it still drifts. When that happens, I rely more on the distance numbers than the arrows. If the distance is decreasing, I know I am still going the right way. If they are increasing, I alter my path.

We may still be able to improve it if we can come up with some sort of coordinate averaging scheme, but a lot of it may just come down to gps accuracy. If we can't get a more accurate accuracy (he he) then I might remove the accuracy field to prevent confusion in the next release.
    sorry cook i must of missed this post, had to look way back...- I'll give the test this weekend while I'm out there. Just to let you know, my spot isn't in heavy coverage, maybe medium coverage.
    10-02-08 07:16 PM
    BruceRTL and I have both tried to fix the accuracy that is being reported, but have had no luck. It always reports approx 3 ft accuracy, which is almost impossible with the most expensive handheld gps receivers.

I also have estimated my own gps accuracy at approximatel 20 ft even though it says 3 ft on the screen.

RockAndRollAcdc, try this. Mark your current location as a new waypoint. Without moving, set it as your destination. Let me know how far away it thinks you are. Watch it for a minute or so and see how far it drifts. That will be your accuracy.

Try this at your parking location of your truck before walking into your hunting spot, you may have less accuracy with a thick tree cover.

I suspect your GPS accuracy is probably around 40 ft. This would account for the wacky arrrows as you get closer to destinaction or when walking slowly.

Even with my Magellan handheld GPSr, when I get close to the destination, the arrow tends to drift. Maybe not as bad as BlackStar may be doing, but it still drifts. When that happens, I rely more on the distance numbers than the arrows. If the distance is decreasing, I know I am still going the right way. If they are increasing, I alter my path.

We may still be able to improve it if we can come up with some sort of coordinate averaging scheme, but a lot of it may just come down to gps accuracy. If we can't get a more accurate accuracy (he he) then I might remove the accuracy field to prevent confusion in the next release.
    What does 3 feet accuracy mean? I would think it means you are in a 3 foot radius from the point B* tells you -> which means there is a 6 foot diameter from the spot where you are standing -> or 3^2 * 3.1462 or 28.3158 square feet from the point where you are standing.
    10-02-08 07:37 PM
    What does 3 feet accuracy mean? I would think it means you are in a 3 foot radius from the point B* tells you -> which means there is a 6 foot diameter from the spot where you are standing -> or 3^2 * 3.1462 or 28.3158 square feet from the point where you are standing.
    Correct, it is a radius. If the accuracy is 3 ft, then you could be up to 6 ft from the actual location.
    10-02-08 08:15 PM
    I will try some more caching this weekend. I had 1.2 meters accuracy most of the time. It put me at 5 feet away from the cache. I turned around and it was about 7 feet away.
    10-02-08 08:36 PM
    spunds like a great program
    10-02-08 09:16 PM
    Correct, it is a radius. If the accuracy is 3 ft, then you could be up to 6 ft from the actual location.
    But remember the person placing the cache also has a radius of error. If their error is also 3 feet your combined errors could place the cache 6 feet from your position.
    10-03-08 09:39 AM
    I took the app for a test spin around my yard yesterday afternoon. It's impressive. Since I live right near the Sierra Nevada mountains, This little app will really come in handy when hiking this summer. Thanks!
    Trying to get the applications but getting an error message (in german i think) when i try to download them. I'm a student pilot with a 8110 and this app would be very much appreciated!! Help...
    10-03-08 11:14 PM
    I'm a studdent pilot and that application would be greatly appreciated!! Trying to download it but getting an error message. Could you asist me please? Not going to be commercially used.
    10-03-08 11:23 PM
    I'm a studdent pilot and that application would be greatly appreciated!! Trying to download it but getting an error message. Could you asist me please? Not going to be commercially used.
    What is the error message you are getting? Is the error while downloaing the zip to your desktop, or when adding to your blackberry with desktop manager?

10-03-08 11:56 PM
    I'm a pilot as well. I'll be taking B* with me on a flight from KDVT to KPAN next Saturday the 11th. Then we'll see how well it works.
    10-04-08 08:09 AM
    But remember the person placing the cache also has a radius of error. If their error is also 3 feet your combined errors could place the cache 6 feet from your position.
    ok, i think i get it.
    10-04-08 12:39 PM
830 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD