The problem might be that "Open Attachment" shows up on 2 menus. On my 8310 running 4.5, after opening the email, I pull up the menu and tell it to "Open Attachment" (this is the first time it appears). Now the attachment is showing. Next I once again open the menu and see "Download Attachment" just below "Open Attachment" (this is the second time it's appeared).
    11-14-08 07:36 AM
    The problem might be that "Open Attachment" shows up on 2 menus. On my 8310 running 4.5, after opening the email, I pull up the menu and tell it to "Open Attachment" (this is the first time it appears). Now the attachment is showing. Next I once again open the menu and see "Download Attachment" just below "Open Attachment" (this is the second time it's appeared).
    OK, yeah. When I was seeing the Download Attachment, my cursor was on the attachment at the end of the note. But if the cursor is not on the attachment, I don't see the Download option. Good catch
    11-14-08 07:45 AM
    Just curious. The bearing arrow just seems to spin when you stop moving. Any way to have it stop when you stop? It would save from having to walk a few feet just to get it to point the right direction again, as it seems to need now.
    11-15-08 11:56 PM
    im running 4.5.0.81 and i don't have a download attachment menu option. ive tried placing the cursor in so many different places and even making sure I have everything installed. Notta. I have to be doing something wrong.
    11-16-08 12:38 AM
    Just curious. The bearing arrow just seems to spin when you stop moving. Any way to have it stop when you stop? It would save from having to walk a few feet just to get it to point the right direction again, as it seems to need now.

Hi bananapoo,

That's just the way a GPSr will show compass when standing still. In a stationary position the satellite data to your receiver isn't able to compute which way you are facing or standing or holding your receiver. The compass starts to work when you are moving. The exception to the rule is very few GPS Receivers have an actual magnetic compass. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX "pictured here" that has a built in Magnetic compass that will give you direction while standing still. On a side note GPSr's are able to give you approximate altitude by all the sattellite positioning info being calculated and in the case of the GPSMAP 60CSX it includes a barometric pressure altimeter.

Digital/analogue/satellite =

Even with the GPSMAP60CSX, I often prefer to use the satellite compass over the digital one as I can't be bothered to hold the unit totally steady and totally level. Then, GPSr gospel always speaks of knowing how to use a map and have a real compass when out in the boonies, your GPSr could always stop working, get crushed, fall in the drink. So when I bought my first GPS, I heard about that rule so I read a couple books on it.

What Blackstar does for the Blackberry is awesome for what we've got to work with.

Peter
    11-16-08 01:43 AM
    I hope no one thinks I feel B* is lacking. It is wonderful. Far more wonderful than I ever initially thought. I just want to provide feedback for this software that I am starting to use daily.

I am still learning some fundamentals of gps and I figured that about the satellites being able to pinpoint your location, but not knowing which way you are facing. What I was thinking that there could be a programmed threashold on the software side, say, you are moving very slow, it detects it right away and locks the arrow until you move again. And for those hardcore GPSr users, maybe an on/off option for it too.
    11-18-08 01:30 AM
    ^^^ I agree totally, B* is great
    11-18-08 01:44 AM
    I hope no one thinks I feel B* is lacking.
    Never thought that for a minute. I love the feedback. While we may not be able to do everything you ask for, it at least gets the ideas rolling.

I am still learning some fundamentals of gps and I figured that about the satellites being able to pinpoint your location, but not knowing which way you are facing. What I was thinking that there could be a programmed threashold on the software side, say, you are moving very slow, it detects it right away and locks the arrow until you move again. And for those hardcore GPSr users, maybe an on/off option for it too.
    I am on the fence on this issue though. My first thought is that it would only create more problems than it would solve. For geocaching, when you are very close to the cache, you will be walking much slower, and if we decrease the sensitivity, then the arrow would be more inaccurate. But you never know with an on/off option, it might be worthwhile putting it in to see how it reacts.
    11-18-08 07:21 AM
    you could also make it not freeze within say 25 feet of a destination. Or people with the option on will have to expect it to remember which direction you were facing. it could be like "on/off/smart"
    11-18-08 09:05 PM
    Hi guys. Great job on this app. I've only used it a couple times on my bbpearl+puck but it worked very well.

I was wondering if you would consider adding a feature to receive a waypoint data file from the BB browser using a custom mime type?

I've been working on a mobile-web-based cache info & field notes application and I can currently launch google mobile maps with a link to a kml file - using the mime type "application/vnd.google-earth.kml+xml", but gmm is not real good for caching. If B* was configured as the default handler for a custom mime type (e.g. "application/blackberry-blackstar+xml") that could handle a .gpx or something, I could launch a waypoint search directly from a cache details page.

The site is bcaching.com, forums at bcaching.com/forums. I'd love to integrate it with B*.
    11-18-08 10:36 PM
    I was wondering if you would consider adding a feature to receive a waypoint data file from the BB browser using a custom mime type?
    I am not entirely following you on this. Opening a GPX file in the browser and it opening B*? I am not sure when you would be opening a GPX file in the browser. Email, yes, I could see that. Or am I missing the point?

I've been working on a mobile-web-based cache info & field notes application and I can currently launch google mobile maps with a link to a kml file - using the mime type "application/vnd.google-earth.kml+xml", but gmm is not real good for caching. If B* was configured as the default handler for a custom mime type (e.g. "application/blackberry-blackstar+xml") that could handle a .gpx or something, I could launch a waypoint search directly from a cache details page.

The site is bcaching.com, forums at bcaching.com/forums. I'd love to integrate it with B*.
    That sounds great. I will definitely be checking your website out.
    11-19-08 07:30 AM
    I am not entirely following you on this. Opening a GPX file in the browser and it opening B*? I am not sure when you would be opening a GPX file in the browser. Email, yes, I could see that. Or am I missing the point?
    I'm not sure exactly how it works on the BB, but in my web app, if you click the kml link from the cache details page, the web server generates a kml file and sends it to the BB client in the web response (instead of HTML content), specifying the "Content-Type" as the standard MIME type for KML files. The BB Browser recognizes the MIME type and launches Google Mobile Maps and GMM processes the kml data and displays the waypoint from the kml content in the map.

In the BB App developer guide (4.0) I found the section "Supporting additional MIME types". An app can register as a rendering provider for a mime type. Then when a link in the browser is clicked that returns content with that MIME type, that provider will be invoked along the Browser context so the provider can retrieve the response. At that point I would think it could activate another app (or itself) and display the content it received... but I haven't done any BB/J2ME development yet so I'm not sure.
    11-19-08 08:23 AM
    Hi guys. Great job on this app. I've only used it a couple times on my bbpearl+puck but it worked very well.

OK, I think I get it now that I checked out your website. Awesome site!

You want to integrate your website with B*. We can upload GPX files to your site and you want to be able to create an interface to transfer the data to B*. Am I on the right path now?

I would prefer a GPX file import over a KML, so that the cache details can be on B*. One of the main idea behind B* is to be able to still function in locations where there is no signal.

This could really help with space. I am having problems loading more than 20 caches at a time and the more we load, the slower it gets. Do you have space limitations on your website? If it fits into your limitations, we could have hundreds of caches loaded on bcaching, then download a few caches you want to go after.
    11-19-08 09:49 AM
    OK, I think I get it now that I checked out your website. Awesome site!
    Thanks!

You want to integrate your website with B*. We can upload GPX files to your site and you want to be able to create an interface to transfer the data to B*. Am I on the right path now?
    Exactly.

I would prefer a GPX file import over a KML, so that the cache details can be on B*. One of the main idea behind B* is to be able to still function in locations where there is no signal.
    I would also prefer GPX.

This could really help with space. I am having problems loading more than 20 caches at a time and the more we load, the slower it gets. Do you have space limitations on your website? If it fits into your limitations, we could have hundreds of caches loaded on bcaching, then download a few caches you want to go after.
    I use the web interface for all of our paperless info in the field. It has been reliable*most* of the time (using VZW) but there are times when the network is slow or even completely unavailable on occasion.

I was thinking it would be nice to eventually expose a simple API to allow a client app to run as a front-end to BCaching. Then the majority of data store would be done on the server, but the client app could download and "cache" some of the nearest caches. It would be cool if it could automatically keep the nearest caches loaded but allow you to do searches (covering a wider area) using the server.

The max DB size for my current hosting plan is 2 GB and I'm using a little under 50 MB. I'm not yet sure how many users/caches that will support, but that's with over 15,000 caches and about 60,000 cache logs (which is where most of the storage is). Cache and log data is shared across users to save space, but cachers only have access to cache data they've actually uploaded via pocket queries.
    11-19-08 11:21 AM
    Hey Guys,

I've been reading this thread for about 3 hours now. Sounds like a great little app. I'm going to d/l it and check it out ASAP.

I have a buddy who does volunteer work with his local fire department and with FEMA. This past Saturday he invited me to come hear him present at a county sponsored GPS event. His talk was on the US National Grid, which is a slight variation on UTM and MGRS systems. Following his presentation I started looking for a geocache program that provided USNG/UTM/MGRS. I was suprised to see MGRS as one of your early requirements.

I've been using GPS's for 10 years on the water and land, and am very excited about your trying B*.

Feature request - One thing I've always liked on my GPS's is a satellite status screen. One that shows a sky view of where and how many satellites the GPS has a lock on. Kind of a gadget feature, but it does let you know the spread of your satellites and that effects your accuracy. Plus it can give you a hint if something is blocking satellites, and you can move to allow the GPS to get a fix.

Thanks for all the effort

-- Don
    BB Curve 8310 AT&T
    11-23-08 10:21 PM
    Hey Guys,

I've been reading this thread for about 3 hours now. Sounds like a great little app. I'm going to d/l it and check it out ASAP.

I have a buddy who does volunteer work with his local fire department and with FEMA. This past Saturday he invited me to come hear him present at a county sponsored GPS event. His talk was on the US National Grid, which is a slight variation on UTM and MGRS systems. Following his presentation I started looking for a geocache program that provided USNG/UTM/MGRS. I was suprised to see MGRS as one of your early requirements.

I've been using GPS's for 10 years on the water and land, and am very excited about your trying B*.

Feature request - One thing I've always liked on my GPS's is a satellite status screen. One that shows a sky view of where and how many satellites the GPS has a lock on. Kind of a gadget feature, but it does let you know the spread of your satellites and that effects your accuracy. Plus it can give you a hint if something is blocking satellites, and you can move to allow the GPS to get a fix.

Thanks for all the effort

-- Don
    BB Curve 8310 AT&T
    That feature might be a bit above me. I could probably handle the number of satellites, and possibly even display which satellites are connected. But I am not sure about the graphical display of satellite location.

If you know of a website that would have a good explanation of how the satellite locations are calculated, I might be able to get something.

Now, the USNG could probably be incorporated if you can tell me the difference between MGRS and USNG.
    11-23-08 11:43 PM
    Hi Cook,

Thanks for the quick response. Based on this quote from Wikipedia, I don't think you need to worry about the differences between the MGRS and USNG. I quote "It (USNG) resembles the Military Grid Reference System (MGRS). When the WGS84 datum is used, USNG and MGRS coordinates are practically identical." My understanding, from my friends presentation, is that in USNG, you limit the easting and northing to 4 digits. This will provide a 10 X 10 meter square, which is close enough to locate a missing person or damaged building.

I will see what I can do to locate some info on the satellite sky view.

Now, after downloading and installing B* last night at 11:30 I went out side and walked around the neighborhood to use it. Two things I think would be helpful from a user perspective.

1. There has been a considerable amount of discussion in this forum on the accuracy with the GPS systems provided in these handheld devices. I think it would provide a better user interface if the precision was fixed. For example, why show decimal feet, when we know the accuracy of the device isn't that accurate, just show feet in whole numbers. For walking limit the speed to a single decimal point. So, my recommendation would be to fix feet or meters to no decimal point, and speed in mph or kmh or knots to a single decimal. And fix the decimal so if you are going 10.0 MPH it displays 10.0, not 10.

2. I would really appreciate a slightly larger font on the location and altitude at the top. I know there has been lots of discussion on that, and I know the page layout is a big concern. I agree with the need to keep it on the screen and I like the look of bolder labels and various sized fonts. You may try keeping the same size font, but using a font with slightly thicker characters.

My 2 cents... on some very nice work so far.

-- Don
    11-24-08 07:44 AM
    Hi Cook,

Thanks for the quick response. Based on this quote from Wikipedia, I don't think you need to worry about the differences between the MGRS and USNG. I quote "It (USNG) resembles the Military Grid Reference System (MGRS). When the WGS84 datum is used, USNG and MGRS coordinates are practically identical." My understanding, from my friends presentation, is that in USNG, you limit the easting and northing to 4 digits. This will provide a 10 X 10 meter square, which is close enough to locate a missing person or damaged building.

I will see what I can do to locate some info on the satellite sky view.

Now, after downloading and installing B* last night at 11:30 I went out side and walked around the neighborhood to use it. Two things I think would be helpful from a user perspective.

1. There has been a considerable amount of discussion in this forum on the accuracy with the GPS systems provided in these handheld devices. I think it would provide a better user interface if the precision was fixed. For example, why show decimal feet, when we know the accuracy of the device isn't that accurate, just show feet in whole numbers. For walking limit the speed to a single decimal point. So, my recommendation would be to fix feet or meters to no decimal point, and speed in mph or kmh or knots to a single decimal. And fix the decimal so if you are going 10.0 MPH it displays 10.0, not 10.

2. I would really appreciate a slightly larger font on the location and altitude at the top. I know there has been lots of discussion on that, and I know the page layout is a big concern. I agree with the need to keep it on the screen and I like the look of bolder labels and various sized fonts. You may try keeping the same size font, but using a font with slightly thicker characters.

My 2 cents... on some very nice work so far.

-- Don

Good feedback BBDon. I especially like the idea of rounding the accuracy to whole numbers. I personally have been playing with the various BB fonts to make the location/altitude easier to read.

Stay tuned, cool things are in the works.....
    11-24-08 08:12 AM
    Hi, does anyone know of a map app or site where you can obtain accurate lat and long coords from an input address that you could then input to B* to find the location?

I live in London and at the moment I have my home address set as a waypoint so that in the unlikely event I find myself completely lost in the metropolis, I at least know which direction to start walking to get home

But it would be good to be able to set up a few waypoints remotely without visiting them first. As I'm not cacheing, I don't get waypoints input from the sources you guys are. Where or how is it possible to get accurate coords for an address before travelling there?

BTW I've followed this thread from the start and I'd forgotten how long it was until BBDon just commented how he'd been reading it for 3 hours. lol! It's a good read - like watching an embryo grow by ultrascan as features become more enhanced.
    11-24-08 09:11 AM
    Hi, does anyone know of a map app or site where you can obtain accurate lat and long coords from an input address that you could then input to B* to find the location?

I live in London and at the moment I have my home address set as a waypoint so that in the unlikely event I find myself completely lost in the metropolis, I at least know which direction to start walking to get home

But it would be good to be able to set up a few waypoints remotely without visiting them first. As I'm not cacheing, I don't get waypoints input from the sources you guys are. Where or how is it possible to get accurate coords for an address before travelling there?

BTW I've followed this thread from the start and I'd forgotten how long it was until BBDon just commented how he'd been reading it for 3 hours. lol! It's a good read - like watching an embryo grow by ultrascan as features become more enhanced.
    I have used gpsvisualizer.com
    Free Geocoder @ GPSVisualizer.com for addresses in the states.

I tried 3 Abbey Road, St Johns Wood, London (Can't remember what is there ) and it returned:
    Result precision address
    Address 3 Abbey Road
    City St Johns Wood, NW8 9
    State/Region United Kingdom
    Country GB [Great Britain]
    Latitude 51.532280
    Longitude -0.177827
    Coordinates 51.532280, -0.177827
    N51�31.9368, W000�10.66962

It should do the trick for you.
    11-24-08 09:43 AM
    Thanks Cook, that looks perfect!

On another issue - I agree with others that I would prefer bigger font size for the lat and long - isn't there bags of room under the compass and arrow to allow for a little expansion? It seems so on my curve.
    11-24-08 10:19 AM
    Thanks Cook, that looks perfect!

On another issue - I agree with others that I would prefer bigger font size for the lat and long - isn't there bags of room under the compass and arrow to allow for a little expansion? It seems so on my curve.
    I agree with both you and BBDon, it should be bigger. We are tweaking that screen again and hopefully it will get to the point where we can maximize form and functionality.

Keep the feedback coming, that is how we will keep improving on B*.
    11-24-08 10:55 AM
    Davoid - if you have Google Earth installed, it gives you the lat/lon of your cursor position in the bottom left corner of the map screen. Just do a search for the address and place your cursor on it. In the options menu on the 3d tab, you can set the format to decimal degrees, degrees / decimal minutes, even UTM.

-- Don
    11-24-08 07:58 PM
    I have used gpsvisualizer.com
    Free Geocoder @ GPSVisualizer.com
    Davoid - if you have Google Earth installed, it gives you the lat/lon of your cursor position in the bottom left corner of the map screen. Just do a search for the address and place your cursor on it. In the options menu on the 3d tab, you can set the format to decimal degrees, degrees / decimal minutes, even UTM.

-- Don
    Great info Guys

... and I've got to get me and B* out more often :~|
    11-24-08 08:26 PM
    That feature might be a bit above me. I could probably handle the number of satellites, and possibly even display which satellites are connected. But I am not sure about the graphical display of satellite location.

If you know of a website that would have a good explanation of how the satellite locations are calculated, I might be able to get something.

Now, the USNG could probably be incorporated if you can tell me the difference between MGRS and USNG.
    I used the NAD83 (WGS84) data set to check B* MGRS rather than the NAD27 data. To put it in the right format... All you have to is drop off the last digit from the northing and easting. That is on the user side.

Example from:
    http://www.fgdc.gov/standards/projec..._2001_usng.pdf
    Page 12
    General reference: 18SUJ23480647 � precision 10 meters.
    Special application: 18SUJ2348316806479498 � precision 1 millimeter.

The first one has a 8 digit grid, the second one has a 16 digit grid. The format of B* has the two portions (northings and easting) seperated and designated by a "n" and a "e" so that it is easier to map and drop the digits as needed.
    11-25-08 06:52 AM
830 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD