I see you can import gpx/loc files, haven't seen an export of waypoints yet, but again, haven't messed with BlackStar long enough.
    No export yet. But it a future enhancement we plan on doing.

One note about GPX files is that it currently only works with GPX files created by Geocaching.com's pocket query. It does not work with GPX files created by most other apps because it is looking for specific tags that it seems only geocaching.com uses. That will be fixed soon too.

I can certainly understand that they are not needed to be huge, though I will add that on the Bold 9000 hi-res screen, they do display very very small. (Maybe another screen switch for a secondary view of the coords, would be needed for the higher res BB's)
    Yeah, we kicked different ideas around, but I was trying to keep the screen navigation simple. In seeing the screen layout for a while now, I think I could increase the font to a more visible size, we just need to make sure the images don't scroll off the bottom.

I wouldn't want to have to add multiple views to the menu options and make it all cluttered and hard to navigate to a second view. I have been considering implementing the sideways scroll I have seen in other apps to change to different views. That might work better.

Another option is to make the whole screen customizable: choose fields to display and font sizes. This is a little more involved, but would be the most flexible.

Again, looking forward further exploration of BlackStar.

Are there other Apps I should be looking for further back on this thread, or is BlaclStar a culmination of everything brought forth by this thread?

Peter
    Yes, this has been a work in progress thoughout the life of this thread. Different versions had different features and different look and feel. I think the original version before the navigation features were added is still an excellent stand alone app which displays location, speed and direction. There are other posts mixed in throughout of other apps that are out there too.

As a GPS afficianado, feel free to recommend other features, all feedback is welcome. It may not be real quick turnaround on new features as this is just a hobby, but we want to make tihs the best app we can.
    11-02-08 09:31 AM
    Good post Dave, as I was reading it, I wondered if maybe the lat/lng could go on the bottom of the screen instead of the top. This way if anything was going to scroll off the bottom, it would be the lesser used items. I have the source code, so I may experiment with that on my own.
    11-02-08 09:48 AM
    Maybe it's daylight savings or just the phase of the moon (or blackstar) but how does one figure out which version is out there NOW? (G) Is there a way to add the most current link to the first post of this thread or maybe in one of the programmers' signature?

So, is 1.3 the latest?

(google points back here to this thread)
    11-02-08 10:14 AM
    Unfortunately, we don't own the initial post to this thread, otherwise that would be perfect. I thought about starting a new thread, but I didn't want to lose all this history.

But I like the signature idea. BTW the current version is 1.3.2
    11-02-08 10:49 AM
    Good post Dave, as I was reading it, I wondered if maybe the lat/lng could go on the bottom of the screen instead of the top. This way if anything was going to scroll off the bottom, it would be the lesser used items. I have the source code, so I may experiment with that on my own.
    I am not exactly sold on having any field scroll off the bottom. I am still thinking someone is using the lat lon. Plus two things can still happen, we could still see a screen bounce when information scrolls off the bottom, and when scrolling down, you may not be able to scroll back up.

I am leaning more towards a sideways scroll to another screen and then we can make it fairly large.
    11-02-08 11:18 AM
    Thank you cook46933,

I'm glad I got the latest BlackStar having grabbed it from your post # 323 and am able to confirm that via the Menu / About.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad I finally joined in on the fun and the raising of this star.

Hello to all and we'll see you around
    11-02-08 12:04 PM
    BlackStar rocks!

I used version 1.3 on the Colorado River over the weekend. B* worked great. I was having issues with GPS locks, but I think that is my BB, not B*. Perhaps I should try an external puck.

I just downloaded v 1.3.2. Very Nice update.
    I like the new layout and compass face.
    The ability to sort waypoints works well.
    The new icon is much easier to find on my home screen.

Feedback -
    I like the small font on the Lat/Long, but I would like to have the Alt. in a large font.
    Also, in the US display of Alt. I'd prefer the altitude in feet, instead of miles.
    It would be great if there was a way to export waypoints.

Once again, thanks for everything cook46933. B* is a great app!

Sprint 8330 w/4.5.0.66
    Last edited by qfadder; 11-02-08 at 11:38 PM.
    11-02-08 11:33 PM
    Downloaded the latest version last week, finally tested it on the weekend and was very successful.

I like the new layout too. I can read the lat/lon with a bit of squinting, but I haven't been using that feature.
    11-03-08 09:50 AM
    BlackStar rocks!

I used version 1.3 on the Colorado River over the weekend. B* worked great. I was having issues with GPS locks, but I think that is my BB, not B*. Perhaps I should try an external puck.

I just downloaded v 1.3.2. Very Nice update.
    I like the new layout and compass face.
    The ability to sort waypoints works well.
    The new icon is much easier to find on my home screen.

Feedback -
    I like the small font on the Lat/Long, but I would like to have the Alt. in a large font.
    Also, in the US display of Alt. I'd prefer the altitude in feet, instead of miles.
    It would be great if there was a way to export waypoints.

Once again, thanks for everything cook46933. B* is a great app!

Sprint 8330 w/4.5.0.66
    Yes, the altitude in miles was an oversight in switching to common conversiions. I will get that fixed for the next release.

It does seem a lot more people use the altitude than the lat/lon. We'll work on it.

Thanks for the feedback!
    11-03-08 10:14 AM
    I've been trying out 1.3.2. The new compass is very impressive indeed and I generally think the layout is improving. I also like having the option to not confirm exit. However, I have some comments:

- When driving, the "Spd:" sometimes gets too wide for the field and re-formats the screen so that is has two lines. This makes everything jump around. It probably needs a wider field, smaller fonts, or less significant digits.

- The "small" font for latitude and longitude is way too tiny IMHO. Ideally, I would prefer that all the fields stay within 1 size of the user's default font. One of the things I like about the BlackBerry is that you can set the size and face of the screen fonts to suit your tastes. So if you're 20 years old, tiny fonts let you see more information on the screen. But when you're 50, you can crank up the size to make it legible. You can't do that with Palm, Windows or iPhone OS!
    11-03-08 08:15 PM
    But when you're 50, you can crank up the size to make it legible.
    Just turned 50! I feel your pain brother...
    11-03-08 09:38 PM
    I have a few requests and questions:

Questions:
    1) I cannot seem to have .loc files show the user-created name in B*. The geocache name shows though. I think I would rather be able to identify I am looking for "The Intimidator!" vs "GCACAHV". Is it supposed to do this already?
    2) I haven't tried importing GPX files yet. Do GPX files work differently than LOC files?

Requests:
    1) Being able to mark that I found the geocache in the list
    2) If google maps is loaded, B* should have a "send to google" option
    3) timer & clock - see how long it took you to find the geocache
    4) auto save start location, to be able to have it as a menu item
    11-05-08 01:24 PM
    I have a few requests and questions:

Questions:
    1) I cannot seem to have .loc files show the user-created name in B*. The geocache name shows though. I think I would rather be able to identify I am looking for "The Intimidator!" vs "GCACAHV". Is it supposed to do this already?
    2) I haven't tried importing GPX files yet. Do GPX files work differently than LOC files?
    I didn't think the LOC files had the cache name in them, but I looked into a file and I do see it. That process still needs a little tweaking and that should be able to be accomodated. The GPX import does take the name instead of the GC number.

Requests:
    1) Being able to mark that I found the geocache in the list
    Yes, that is an important one for me too. But before we add more information to the database, we want to make sure we have a strong handle on the existing data. So it will be coming.

2) If google maps is loaded, B* should have a "send to google" option
    That is a good suggestion. Incorporating maps has always been a goal, but we don't want to rely on maps as you will lose them when there is no cell reception. But the Send to Google Maps could incorporate the maps without relying on them.

3) timer & clock - see how long it took you to find the geocache
    4) auto save start location, to be able to have it as a menu item
    hmmm, I guess I don't see the value in the timer and clock. But I would see value in adding the time to the waypoint, escpecially to a waypoint generated by #4. Maybe even a time found when we add the "found cache" functionality. That way you could calculate your time that way.

But I definitely agree with #4. We should have a one-click mark waypoint. The current mark waypoint you need to manually save, but there is definitely value in adding a one-click waypoint.

Thanks for all the great feedback
    11-07-08 08:45 AM
    I was playing with a program the other day on my BlackBerry (CachBerry). On it, you can view a geocache using Google Maps. Once you told it to, "View in Google Maps", it would create a KML file and then it would start Google Maps in your browser with that KML file selected. I'm still working on a way, in B*, to send my current Lat/Lng to Geocaching.com. I figured out a way by hacking my current position into the URL. My problem is calling the stupid browser with my hacked URL as a parameter. If we are able to call Google Maps with a KML file, then we can use the same logic to accomplish what I'm trying to do.
    11-07-08 02:47 PM
    Just thought of this. You can import .loc and .cpx files, what about exporting to .loc too? If we make our own waypoints, this would be a great feature. Makes it a little easier to hide caches and save the info precisely.
    11-09-08 03:52 AM
    Ugh, on a roll! How about being able to type in a geocaching file name like GCxxxx, or pick it from the list, and B* gets its info from the website if you have web access.
    11-09-08 03:56 AM
    Ugh, on a roll! How about being able to type in a geocaching file name like GCxxxx, or pick it from the list, and B* gets its info from the website if you have web access.
    Nice username there mate! LOL!
    11-09-08 04:21 AM
    Ah, that would be nice wouldn't it?

We have investigated that, but unfortunately Groundspeak does not have a public API. They do have a private one that they will let a certain vendor or two use, i.e. Trimble's Geocache Navigator, but it is not open to pubilc use.

Also, Groundspeak also has documented that it is a violation of their TOU to scrape the html, so we can't try to muscle our way into it. But if there is a way we can integrate geocaching.com and still stay legal, I am open to it.

One thing that comes close is that we do capture the link to the geocache, which is part of the GPX file. We should be able to use the link to open that cache in the browser.

Oh and the other suggestion of exporting, it is already on the list.

Keep the ideas coming.
    11-09-08 11:34 AM
    Wow, I gotta say this is a terrific app for the price , actually if I had to I would pay for this app.

One thing that has been bothering me though, geocaching.com sends me regular seach results via email. I download these 15 GPX files to my sd card then import them to B*. Each time I do this it asks me several times for permission to access my device, exact quote "The application Blackstar has attempted to open local content. Would you like to allow this? Yes/No" This is very annoying, is there any way around this?
    11-09-08 11:41 PM
    Good question Smurfy71! I have been meaning to bring that up as well. Even though I have all the permissions set to "allow" on B*, I have the same issue with B* asking permission as it navigates through every folder.

By the way, I found my first geocache yesterday using B*. In the past, I've used my trusty Garmin. It was pretty cool!
    11-10-08 07:42 AM
    Each time I do this it asks me several times for permission to access my device, exact quote "The application Blackstar has attempted to open local content. Would you like to allow this? Yes/No" This is very annoying, is there any way around this?
    I did not experience this until I upgraded OS to 4.5, then it was very irritating. The only way I found to avoid it is to enable the firewall on your phone. Go into phone options (wrench icon) and go to security options/Firewall, change the status to enabled. It will then prompt you for each application if you want to trust it or not. But you should only need to answer the question once about allowing B* to access files on your SD card. Downside is each application will prompt you for access

What I do like about 4.5 though is that if you have your pocket queries sent unzipped to your email, you can download them from your bb inbox to your sd card directly. No need to download to your PC, then transfer to your BB.
    11-10-08 07:46 AM
    Yep, that worked! Thanks
    11-10-08 08:08 AM
    I did not experience this until I upgraded OS to 4.5, then it was very irritating. The only way I found to avoid it is to enable the firewall on your phone. Go into phone options (wrench icon) and go to security options/Firewall, change the status to enabled. It will then prompt you for each application if you want to trust it or not. But you should only need to answer the question once about allowing B* to access files on your SD card. Downside is each application will prompt you for access

What I do like about 4.5 though is that if you have your pocket queries sent unzipped to your email, you can download them from your bb inbox to your sd card directly. No need to download to your PC, then transfer to your BB.
    Thank you very much, this worked. And the unzipped way is how I do it.
    11-10-08 10:30 PM
    How do you do that? My Curve 8310 won't let me save my email attachments to my sd card. I can't find a save feature, and open attachment tells me that it cannot understand gpx files. I wish I could get these updates straight to my phone...
    11-13-08 08:39 PM
    How do you do that? My Curve 8310 won't let me save my email attachments to my sd card. I can't find a save feature, and open attachment tells me that it cannot understand gpx files. I wish I could get these updates straight to my phone...
    In the menu, right below Open Attachment, I have Download Attachment. I just assumed everyone had it now. Once I download the file, it does not give the Download Attachment menu option.

I am using OS v4.5.0.55 on my 8300.
    11-13-08 08:53 PM
830 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD