Just a quick question before I screwup something, do I need to uninstall v1.3 before I install v1.3.2?
    If you unzip the alx and cod to the same directory where you installed the last version, then no. Connect the BB to the computer with USB before opening DM. It should identify the new version of B* and prompt you to update it.

If that does not work, you can uninstall the old and install the new, but you will lose any waypoints or options settings.
    10-27-08 10:24 AM
    Thank you for the reply and I now have the program working or at least executing. I need to ask about the way coordinates are entered. Normally on my Garmin GPS I would enter coordinates in the form:

N28� 12.101
    W82� 24.797

This is the way the gpx files are created from Geocaching.com. Looking at the options in the program I am not sure if this formate is possible or if this is what the MGRS format is.

I also looks like you can not exit the program but I could be missing something. When the conformation screen comes up it does not exit when you select "Yes". If you change the option to not ask before exiting it does not exit at all.
    10-27-08 10:43 AM
    Thank you for the reply and I now have the program working or at least executing. I need to ask about the way coordinates are entered. Normally on my Garmin GPS I would enter coordinates in the form:

N28� 12.101
    W82� 24.797

This is the way the gpx files are created from Geocaching.com. Looking at the options in the program I am not sure if this formate is possible or if this is what the MGRS format is.

I also looks like you can not exit the program but I could be missing something. When the conformation screen comes up it does not exit when you select "Yes". If you change the option to not ask before exiting it does not exit at all.
    Go to options/Coordinate Format/ and select dd:dd.ddddd. I think that's what you are looking for.
    10-27-08 11:01 AM
    I am trying to figure out how to import a GPX file. The program is really messing up for me when I try to do this. I have created a folder called geocaching in the blackberry folder on my sd card but I can not seem to get to it with the program and the program ends up locking up and I have to power off the Blackberry to get out of the program. The error message that is displayed when I re-power up the Blackberry is: "Uncaught exception: Application BlackStar(147) is not responding; process terminated"
    Last edited by Ranger Bob; 10-27-08 at 11:03 AM.
    10-27-08 11:01 AM
    I am trying to figure out how to import a GPX file. The program is really messing up for me when I try to do this. I have created a folder called geocaching in the blackberry folder on my sd card but I can not seem to get to it with the program and the program ends up locking up and I have to power off the Blackberry to get out of the program. The error message that is displayed when I re-power up the Blackberry is: "Uncaught exception: Application BlackStar(147) is not responding; process terminated"
    I haven't tried importing a small gpx file yet with this latest version but I konw the previouis version would only allow a gpx of 20 caches or less. Try one that is smaller. The only one I have handy here at work is amost 500 caches and does the same thing you described. Although, I did not have to power the BB off to get control back.
    10-27-08 11:09 AM
    Bruce is correct on all counts.

Try to limit your files to 20 cards or less. We are trying to get that fixed, but even if you load multiple files of 20, performance slows down on the list waypoints and such. A hundred or so will work (in batches of 20), but much more than that and you may see some "slowness".

We have plans on adding a status bar to the load, we just hadn't had the time to get to it yet.

As for your problems with exiting B*, I cannot duplicate that problem on my BB. It exits just fine for me. If anyone else is noticing this behavior, please let me know.
    10-27-08 11:29 AM
    I haven't tried importing a small gpx file yet with this latest version but I konw the previouis version would only allow a gpx of 20 caches or less. Try one that is smaller. The only one I have handy here at work is amost 500 caches and does the same thing you described. Although, I did not have to power the BB off to get control back.
    I was not able to import at all. The file had only 11 caches in it. I was not able to even get the application to point to the folder that I had placed the file so I could import it. Every time I have tried this the application has frozen on me. I have placed the folder in Blackberry\geocaching on my SD Card. Is this ok or does it need to be in a different place?

Edit.. I just tried again and I can not even get to the SD Card. I think I will just uninstall the application and try again.
    Last edited by Ranger Bob; 10-27-08 at 12:09 PM.
    10-27-08 12:04 PM
    I was not able to import at all. The file had only 11 caches in it. I was not able to even get the application to point to the folder that I had placed the file so I could import it. Every time I have tried this the application has frozen on me. I have placed the folder in Blackberry\geocaching on my SD Card. Is this ok or does it need to be in a different place?

Edit.. I just tried again and I can not even get to the SD Card. I think I will just uninstall the application and try again.
    Were you still connected to your computer via the USB? I made that mistake once. You need to disconnect the USB cord so that B* can see your memory card. This is a problem with BlackBerry.

I have a small gpx file coming from GC. As soon as I get it, I'll give it a try. It sucks that you're having so much trouble..
    10-27-08 12:16 PM
    When the app shows altitude is that the same as feet above sea level? Cause if it is umm Houston we have a problem!
    10-27-08 01:13 PM
    When the app shows altitude is that the same as feet above sea level? Cause if it is umm Houston we have a problem!
    Roger that Houston - The altitude is currently showing in miles which is of curse a problem. It will be fixed in the next release.
    10-27-08 01:16 PM
    Roger that Houston - The altitude is currently showing in miles which is of curse a problem. It will be fixed in the next release.
    Ahhhh I thought the M after the altitude was referring to Meters which still would of made it way off. reason I was asking is I was using the app while sitting on the beach the other day and it showed an altitude of 146m!

Rest of the app is **AWESOME** by the way!
    10-27-08 01:19 PM
    Ahhhh I thought the M after the altitude was referring to Meters which still would of made it way off. reason I was asking is I was using the app while sitting on the beach the other day and it showed an altitude of 146m!

Rest of the app is **AWESOME** by the way!
    The units do say 'mi' you just need to have a magnifying glass or superman vision to see the 'i'.
    10-27-08 01:38 PM
    The units do say 'mi' you just need to have a magnifying glass or superman vision to see the 'i'.
    Ahhh thats Y I missed the i then?! LOL!
    10-27-08 01:44 PM
    wow, a new release!!!! Loading it now.

um... I gotta dumb question. When I push the options button, what does "select" do? It is on the bottom of the list.
    Last edited by sam1ee; 10-27-08 at 05:07 PM.
    10-27-08 04:58 PM
    wow, a new release!!!! Loading it now.

um... I gotta dumb question. When I push the options button, what does "select" do? It is on the bottom of the list.
    It goes into select mode so that you can copy text into the clipboard. I've always had problems when doing this because the cursor was always bouncing around. Then one day I discovered I could pause B*. Now the cursor doesn't bounce around. Once you selected select??? hold the shift key down and drag your trackball. Words will highlight. Now you can press the ball and tell B* to copy. Next you can go to a different program and paste that text.
    10-27-08 06:30 PM
    Just in case anybody was wondering, I updated my BB to the latest OS last night and can tell you that BlackStar works just fine using 4.5.0.81.
    10-28-08 08:02 AM
    Were you still connected to your computer via the USB? I made that mistake once. You need to disconnect the USB cord so that B* can see your memory card. This is a problem with BlackBerry.

I have a small gpx file coming from GC. As soon as I get it, I'll give it a try. It sucks that you're having so much trouble..
    Sorry to take so long getting back but yes I think that might have been the problem. I uninstalled BlackStar yesterday and I guess I did something wrong because I completely screwed up my BB. I had to call Verizon BB to help me working it again. I have had all kinds of problems trying to get this external GPS to work correctly but last night I did get BlackStar up and running and the GPS connected to it. I tested it this morning by walking to a cache that is very close to my home. When I got to the cache it was about 23 ft. off from the actual location but the coordinates for this cache or not very good because it is hidden in a newspaper stand and it gets moved around a little. I also forgot to take my Garmin GPS with me to compare the too. I will do a little more testing as I have time.
    10-28-08 11:14 AM
    Since I have had so much trouble getting my external GPS to connect with my Verizon BlackBerry Curve I want to see if anyone is using Verizon VZNavigator and the internal GPS in the BlackBerry with BlackStar or BB Maps? Basically I am trying to find out if by doing this it would activate the internal GPS so it can be used with other applications.
    10-28-08 11:19 AM
    Sorry to take so long getting back but yes I think that might have been the problem. I uninstalled BlackStar yesterday and I guess I did something wrong because I completely screwed up my BB. I had to call Verizon BB to help me working it again. I have had all kinds of problems trying to get this external GPS to work correctly but last night I did get BlackStar up and running and the GPS connected to it. I tested it this morning by walking to a cache that is very close to my home. When I got to the cache it was about 23 ft. off from the actual location but the coordinates for this cache or not very good because it is hidden in a newspaper stand and it gets moved around a little. I also forgot to take my Garmin GPS with me to compare the too. I will do a little more testing as I have time.
    No problem Ranger Bob! I'm just glad it's finally working for you. What a pain!
    10-28-08 01:51 PM
    Just in case anybody was wondering, I updated my BB to the latest OS last night and can tell you that BlackStar works just fine using 4.5.0.81.
    Works good with 4.5.0.93 also!!!
    10-28-08 02:42 PM
    This is nothing more than a simple light hearted post so please don't read anything into it. I have followed this thread from the start. I don't do geocaching but like applications like this one & have been amazed at how it took off & how smart the developers of this program are. The one thing I have noticed pretty much through out is when this thread sits for a while sam1ee is usually the last one to post. Sam, I would love for you to come over to my house & get the last word in with my wife. Just once I would like to see that. Take care all.
    10-30-08 05:02 AM
    Hi,

Looks promising, will install in a moment.

Maybe it's a good idea to keep the top post up-to-date? I just spent lots of time browsing all 23 pages to get the latest version + install instructions.
    10-30-08 05:15 AM
    Hi all

I'm just going to jump into this thread. Just added Blackstar and will start toying with it. I'm excited to see what this app for Blackberry can do.

I'm already an avid Garmin GPSMAP60CSX user. Fantastic GPSr and the real McCoy. So, I'm a tad GPSr spoiled and will refrain from comparing that apple with this orange.

Also a NUVI 660 (For Car, rarely use it) Easier to use my BB for that, though the NUVI is nice for long road trips.

Cheers,

Peter
    11-01-08 03:32 PM
    I hear you PVT! I to have numerous GPS's. My truck navigation system, my Garmin Vista C, and the Garmin G1000 in the Cessna 172's I fly. But when I'm traveling and want to go geocaching, or just want a way to mark a waypoint. BlackStar is great. Currently, it's more like those hundred dollar Garmin Etrek models but who knows what the future will hold. I don't think it will replace my Garmins', but in those times when I don't have my Garmin, or want to lug my Garmin around - it's great to have!

Enjoy.
    Last edited by BruceRTL; 11-01-08 at 11:38 PM.
    11-01-08 11:36 PM
    ^^^ Bruce,

Thanks for the hello. GPSr's are fantastic tools aren't they and they've come such a long way.

First impressions of Blackstar is a very nice package, more features than I really expected. Haven't taken it out into the field yet. I see you can import gpx/loc files, haven't seen an export of waypoints yet, but again, haven't messed with BlackStar long enough. Compass looks great Hear that's a bit of BruceRTL in that.)

cook46933 mentions the small size of the coordinates:
    Note: the Main page layout now had the actual gps coords in a very small font. That was to help fit everything and most comments I heard was that nobody was using the raw gps coords. But I did not want to get rid of them. If someone is using that and thinks it is too small, speak up and I can increase it in the next release.
    I can certainly understand that they are not needed to be huge, though I will add that on the Bold 9000 hi-res screen, they do display very very small. (Maybe another screen switch for a secondary view of the coords, would be needed for the higher res BB's)

Again, looking forward further exploration of BlackStar.

Are there other Apps I should be looking for further back on this thread, or is BlaclStar a culmination of everything brought forth by this thread?

Peter
    11-02-08 01:17 AM
830 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD