I respectfully disagree. *All* of the native BlackBerry apps (Browser, Messages, Contacts, Calendar, Media, Doc2Go, etc.) exit with the Escape key. The exception is if you have unsaved changes.

While many 3rd party applications do require confirmation to exit, it is irritating and it is inconsistent with the usability standard that RIM has set. Perhaps these developers are accustomed to Windows Mobile, where it takes about 84 user actions to launch an application and another 36 to close it.

One of the things I like about the Palm OS (and iPhone) is that the Home key forces the current application to immediately exit and returns the user to the home screen. It is part of the "Zen of Palm," where users switch applications quickly and easily on a handheld platform. Holding the Escape key on BB is similar, except when 3rd party applications don't support it.
    I agree Bob, On a PC there is often this little message 'Are you sure?' On the BlackBerry, almost all applications exit imediately with Menu, Exit.

Please undestand, I'm writing as Pete6, the BlackBerry user here and not a a Mod. So, you do not have to be afraid to totally adjectivally disagree if you need to.
    09-24-08 01:05 PM
    I respectfully disagree. *All* of the native BlackBerry apps (Browser, Messages, Contacts, Calendar, Media, Doc2Go, etc.) exit with the Escape key. The exception is if you have unsaved changes.

While many 3rd party applications do require confirmation to exit, it is irritating and it is inconsistent with the usability standard that RIM has set. Perhaps these developers are accustomed to Windows Mobile, where it takes about 84 user actions to launch an application and another 36 to close it.

One of the things I like about the Palm OS (and iPhone) is that the Home key forces the current application to immediately exit and returns the user to the home screen. It is part of the "Zen of Palm," where users switch applications quickly and easily on a handheld platform. Holding the Escape key on BB is similar, except when 3rd party applications don't support it.
    Good points. Ya got me convinced.

But as I had mentioned, your GPS will be disconnected from BlackStar. For most GPS receivers I can think of, it would only take a second to start back up. So it may not be a huge deal if we remove it. We'll see.
    09-24-08 03:19 PM
    I agree Bob, On a PC there is often this little message 'Are you sure?' On the BlackBerry, almost all applications exit imediately with Menu, Exit.

Please undestand, I'm writing as Pete6, the BlackBerry user here and not a a Mod. So, you do not have to be afraid to totally adjectivally disagree if you need to.
    You dont scare me !! :P
    09-24-08 03:21 PM
    You dont scare me !! :P
    Never intend to, of that I assure you. It's not what I do.
    09-25-08 07:03 AM
    Hey Pete, when I was talking about declination a few days ago, I didn't realize that you are in Switzerland, 5,715 miles from my house according to B*. But now I'm curious - what is the magnetic declination in your neck of the woods?
    09-25-08 08:35 AM
    LOL, I know. Actually I am starting to agree with you and Bob G. And no, I was not bullied into it LOL
    Paul and I will talk about it.
    I am glad you guys are caring so much about making BlackStar the best it can be.
    Thanks,
    David
    09-25-08 08:43 AM
    LOL, I know. Actually I am starting to agree with you and Bob G. And no, I was not bullied into it LOL
    Paul and I will talk about it.
    I am glad you guys are caring so much about making BlackStar the best it can be.
    Thanks,
    David
    A compromise would be to leave it up to the user and make it an option (i.e., a check box to "confirm exit" in the Options menu).
    09-25-08 02:37 PM
    Wow! I bet when the OP asked about a free app, he never expected this. I am very impressed. Of course, I just downloaded the app, and I have not even installed it, let alone tried it yet, but I am sure that it is awesome.

I found it by searching for some software to use for geocaching, which is something else that I have never tried. I figured I could give it a shot if I could find some cheap software for my new curve, and now I have it.

Thanks for all the time and effort you guys put into this. Can't wait to find my first cache using B*
    09-25-08 11:05 PM
    David & Paul I have a friend that is cleaning up the compass graphics, and will get those to you as soon as he is completed. Apparently he's a Photoshop guru, which I am not.

Also, I checked out how BlackStar was calculating the accuracy value that is displayed and I'm convinced that there are no flaws in the source code. I still don't think the number is accurate but all you can do is take what the API is giving you. I looked at how other programs are doing it and it's exactly the same as BlackStar.
    09-26-08 09:45 AM
    Wow! I bet when the OP asked about a free app, he never expected this. I am very impressed. Of course, I just downloaded the app, and I have not even installed it, let alone tried it yet, but I am sure that it is awesome.

I found it by searching for some software to use for geocaching, which is something else that I have never tried. I figured I could give it a shot if I could find some cheap software for my new curve, and now I have it.

Thanks for all the time and effort you guys put into this. Can't wait to find my first cache using B*
    Once you try geocaching, there is no turning back. You will be hooked.

Happy caching, I would like to hear some results
    09-26-08 11:50 AM
    Ok, like I said before, I am new to both GPS/Geocache and to BlackBerry.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to import a LOC file?

Thanks
    09-26-08 11:55 AM
    Ok, like I said before, I am new to both GPS/Geocache and to BlackBerry.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to import a LOC file?

Thanks
    You must first store the LOC file on your SD card. Then open BlackStar, go to the List Waypoints menu item. Once on the List Waypoints screen, click the Import GPX/LOC File meniu item. Navigate through your files structure until you find your file. Click the file and it will load the waypoints.
    09-26-08 12:25 PM
    OK Dave, I have to ask a "stupid" question. On a side note, I use to teach a programming course at the local community college and the first thing I would tell people is that Yes there are stupid questions. It doesn't mean you shouldn't ask them but there are stupid questions.

Having said that!

I have downloaded an LOC file onto my computer. I'm trying to copy that LOC file to my BlackBerry. When you say that I need to copy it to my SD card should I pull the card out of my phone and put it into my computer to copy it? If I use the USB cord, I don't see the same folders as when I'm navigating inside BlackStar. Or do I go to Geocaching.com on my phone and download the LOC file?

You can stop laughing now.....
    09-26-08 02:57 PM
    Downloaded and installed what seems to be a great app judging by the comments here. Can't get it working though

I'm using a Pearl 8100 v4.2.1.101 (Platform 2.3.0.80) and a GlobalSat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS.

This GPS doesn't stay permanently connected but depends on the BB to ask for the BT connection. I can get BB Maps to work with no issues but it has an option to say what the GPS is and a menu option to ask for the GPS to Start or Stop.

When I open B* it just tells me that the GPS reception is poor and starts searching for satellites. I don't get the blue BT connected light flashing at all and it just keeps searching with no success

I also installed GPSed today and it seems to have the same issue so I figure it's the BB. Anyone else get this app working on a 8100 using a BT GPS?
    09-26-08 03:26 PM
    OK Dave, I have to ask a "stupid" question. On a side note, I use to teach a programming course at the local community college and the first thing I would tell people is that Yes there are stupid questions. It doesn't mean you shouldn't ask them but there are stupid questions.

Having said that!

I have downloaded an LOC file onto my computer. I'm trying to copy that LOC file to my BlackBerry. When you say that I need to copy it to my SD card should I pull the card out of my phone and put it into my computer to copy it? If I use the USB cord, I don't see the same folders as when I'm navigating inside BlackStar. Or do I go to Geocaching.com on my phone and download the LOC file?

You can stop laughing now.....
    Someone help me get up off the floor

That's not that bad of a question. As long as you have "mass storage mode" on, then when you plug it into the USB cord, you can use it just like a usb drive. Just drag and drop files in.

Then in BlackStar, just navigate to SDCard, then it should look just like it does from the computer. The only difference you should notice would be that all the folders would start with SDCard/. But other that that it is the same.

One note, though, is that you will not be able to access the SD card from BlackStar while you are plugged into the USB cord. It is a "mass storage mode" limitation.

Mass Storage Mode is located in Options(wrench icon, not B* options)/Media Card.

Hope this helps.

BTW, it is way to much of a pain in the keester to remove the sd card, at least in my Curve it is. I would NEVER ask you to do it on purpose. Why would they make it so hard to remove?
    09-26-08 03:56 PM
    Someone help me get up off the floor

That's not that bad of a question. As long as you have "mass storage mode" on, then when you plug it into the USB cord, you can use it just like a usb drive. Just drag and drop files in.

Then in BlackStar, just navigate to SDCard, then it should look just like it does from the computer. The only difference you should notice would be that all the folders would start with SDCard/. But other that that it is the same.

One note, though, is that you will not be able to access the SD card from BlackStar while you are plugged into the USB cord. It is a "mass storage mode" limitation.

Mass Storage Mode is located in Options(wrench icon, not B* options)/Media Card.

Hope this helps.

BTW, it is way to much of a pain in the keester to remove the sd card, at least in my Curve it is. I would NEVER ask you to do it on purpose. Why would they make it so hard to remove?
    Everything you said is what I expected. I didn't seriously think you would have us remove the SD card. What a pain that would be. I have been plugging removable hard drives, ipods, and digital cameras into my USB's for years now but thanks for dumbing it down anyway.

The problem was when I was in BlackStar trying to load the file, I did have the the BB plugged in. Now that it's unplugged - no problems.
    09-26-08 05:04 PM
    Quick question for ya... Is there anyone that can make this available ota? I've downloaded it and attempted to put it onto my verizon 8330 with no luck from bb desktop manager. I tried with GPSed as well which didn't work, however when I got GPSed ota it installed just fine and works like a charm. Except I don't like the program, LoL. I want to see if it just may be a check that is in place via bb manager or what. I'll keep checking back. I'm hoping to free verizon customers from the bonds verizon has set in place.
    09-27-08 02:32 PM
    gentleman
    I gave your program a try yesterday out in the woods. Here's what I've found.

I added a way point where my truck was parked. I took a walk way back in woods and turned on the program and set my destination to where my truck was parked. I found that you need to be walking at a pretty good pace for the arrows to work good. Once you did, it seam to work not bad. I also found once i got about 50-60ft, according to the readout, the bearing arrow seamed to start pointing the opposite direction. (was still walking when this happen) I think it's wierd that this happens. I'm going back out tonight and i'll try it some more to see what happens and i'll let you all know

Also, i like it asked you if you want to exit. I've had a few programs where it didn't ask you and i accendently cancled out, it sucks.
    09-28-08 09:53 AM
    gentleman

I added a way point where my truck was parked. I took a walk way back in woods and turned on the program and set my destination to where my truck was parked. I found that you need to be walking at a pretty good pace for the arrows to work good. Once you did, it seam to work not bad. I also found once i got about 50-60ft, according to the readout, the bearing arrow seamed to start pointing the opposite direction. (was still walking when this happen) I think it's wierd that this happens. I'm going back out tonight and i'll try it some more to see what happens and i'll let you all know

Also, i like it asked you if you want to exit. I've had a few programs where it didn't ask you and i accendently cancled out, it sucks.
    I think it's trying to tell you that you need a new truck!
    09-28-08 01:37 PM
    Maybe it telling me I need a different hunting spot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-08 02:01 PM
    Maybe it telling me I need a different hunting spot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You probably need to go into the options menu and check "allow me to return empty-handed."
    09-28-08 02:14 PM
    gentleman

Well gentlemen, It did the same thing last night out in the woods. I added my parking spot and set it as destination to walk back to my truck. Once i got about 60ft from the truck, bearing arrow went wacko. I did find how ever that it did work pretty good until i got close to my destination. I also set my hunting spot, set that as destination, it lead me back to my spot with in 60ft..
    09-29-08 06:20 AM
    Well gentlemen, It did the same thing last night out in the woods. I added my parking spot and set it as destination to walk back to my truck. Once i got about 60ft from the truck, bearing arrow went wacko. I did find how ever that it did work pretty good until i got close to my destination. I also set my hunting spot, set that as destination, it lead me back to my spot with in 60ft..
    The important thing is - you found your truck! lol

Thanks for the feed back. I know my Garmin will go wacky if I'm around metal buildings like a barn or even walking around the sky scrapers in downtown Phoenix. I wouldn't think your truck would cause that however. Very strange!
    09-29-08 07:39 AM
    BruceRTL and I have both tried to fix the accuracy that is being reported, but have had no luck. It always reports approx 3 ft accuracy, which is almost impossible with the most expensive handheld gps receivers.

I also have estimated my own gps accuracy at approximatel 20 ft even though it says 3 ft on the screen.

RockAndRollAcdc, try this. Mark your current location as a new waypoint. Without moving, set it as your destination. Let me know how far away it thinks you are. Watch it for a minute or so and see how far it drifts. That will be your accuracy.

Try this at your parking location of your truck before walking into your hunting spot, you may have less accuracy with a thick tree cover.

I suspect your GPS accuracy is probably around 40 ft. This would account for the wacky arrrows as you get closer to destinaction or when walking slowly.

Even with my Magellan handheld GPSr, when I get close to the destination, the arrow tends to drift. Maybe not as bad as BlackStar may be doing, but it still drifts. When that happens, I rely more on the distance numbers than the arrows. If the distance is decreasing, I know I am still going the right way. If they are increasing, I alter my path.

We may still be able to improve it if we can come up with some sort of coordinate averaging scheme, but a lot of it may just come down to gps accuracy. If we can't get a more accurate accuracy (he he) then I might remove the accuracy field to prevent confusion in the next release.
    09-29-08 07:42 AM
    A compromise would be to leave it up to the user and make it an option (i.e., a check box to "confirm exit" in the Options menu).
    Excellent suggestion Bob. Definitely the best of both worlds. I think we will be moving forward with that. Thanks!!
    09-29-08 12:20 PM
830 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD