cook and everyone,

The wont be any need to remove the app and then install the app. The desktop manager will update the current version. so therefore the db doesnt get erased. But if you dont believe or u just want to make sure then you can back it up / write the waypoints down .
    Good idea! I would hate to havta walk all that way again
    09-20-08 07:21 PM
    With this release, we made a number of changes to the database. So you will probably not be able to read in any old waypoints saved right now. But in the future releases, it may not be a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-08 08:38 PM
    Keep in mind, we are planning on a new release in a few days.
    Sounds cool to cook. Hunting season 10 day's away and would like to test next weekend out in the woods when i put my stand up.

Also, would like to see other variation of the black star if anyone else has some. The first one i was able to open was ok. The others on here i couldn't open to see it better.
    09-21-08 07:40 AM
    Hi all,

Its monday and as promised we going to release the "BlackStar 1.3", which most of you have been waiting for. Before you install please read the notes below!!!

A few things you need to know about the new version :

1) All the stored way points will be lost.

2) You have to remove the old application before you install the new version due to maintenance of the database.

Added features:

- import GPX or Loc files in the add waypoint screen - max of 20 for now
    - new compass images!!
    - copy and paste function for current gps position (only possible when in pause mode) - be able to send current location vie email or sms to friends
    - Application icon
    - Application name (finally)
    - version support ( it tells in about screen what version you are using)

Thank you again for the images and name suggestions and we hope of more feedback so we can develop the BlackStar even further.

Paul and Cook
    Last edited by paul.haenel; 09-22-08 at 07:23 AM.
    09-22-08 07:01 AM
    Looks great Paul & Cook!

I've downloaded the latest version and looking forward to playing with the GPX/LOC import feature. Good work!

Once I get back home, I'll email you a copy of the application I hacked and you can see what it looks like with the larger compass graphic. In it, I have removed some of the fields you have on your main screen. Lat/Lon & accuracy for example. This allows me to keep the compass much larger and for me that's more important then knowing the actual Lat/Lon or accuracy. My plain is to add to the setup options a "Geocaching" mode that when selected eliminates these extra fields. That way I will have the best of both worlds.

Nice job everyone!
    09-22-08 08:01 AM
    Paul and I tried to figure out what we could get rid of. But we are trying to keep as versatile as possible for the widest range of users as possible. Every time we thought we could get rid of something, we found another reason someone may want it. But we both agree with some formatting work, and playing with fonts, we could improve the layout.

I agree the compass image is much better larger.

We could also make an additional page which would only contain minimal info, compass, bearing arrow, distance, destination name. Or maybe get real fancy and just have 4 customizable fields, then you pick what fields get displayed in those 4.

Feel free to help design it

Thanks for the feedback!
    09-22-08 08:24 AM
    What a great job guys. BlackStar 1.3 is a grate application.

A coupla things.

1. I am pretty sure that you have North and south reversed.
    I see North (black arrow) pointing to where I know south is. I live to the North of Lake Geneva and I now Mont Blanc is south of me. BlackStar thinks it's north. I minor oversight. btw I have an 8310 and was pointing the phone south. The screen was normaly oriented and I could read the text the right way up. The keyboard was towards my beer gut.

2. Is there a way to put the rotating compass in the middle of the screen?
    It would look much better there, I feel.

3. Get rid of the 'Are you sure you want to close BlackStar?' Of course I want to clode it. Why else would I select Exit!
    This is just one of my pet rants.
    Last edited by Pete6; 09-22-08 at 11:25 AM.
    09-22-08 11:21 AM
    I see North (black arrow) pointing to where I know south is. I live to the North of Lake Geneva and I now Mont Blanc is south of me. BlackStar thinks it's north. I minor oversight. btw I have an 8310 and was pointing the phone south. The screen was normaly oriented and I could read the text the right way up. The keyboard was towards my beer gut.
    in the compass, the red arrow points north, the black points south.
    09-22-08 11:42 AM
    in the compass, the red arrow points north, the black points south.
    You are right. I messed up the colours but NOT the North / South. I have the RED arrow (with the N beside it) pointing where I know to be south.

Sorry about that.
    09-22-08 11:48 AM
    Pete, are you walking around when the red arrow is pointing south?

It seems to be working for me. (famous last words) A GPS can only calculate where north is by looking at where the GPS is right now and knowing where the GPS was a second ago. So if you are standing still, the GPS really has no clue where north is. That's why my handheld Garmin has a electro/magnetic compass in it. North is not calculated by the satellites on that GPS. By the way, I just went outside and tried BlackStar while walking different directions. Once the compass settled down, the red North arrow is pointing North.

Another way it can be off is due to declination. Paul & Dave - is the GPS using true north coordinates or magnetic north coordinates? If it's using magnetic north that could be off as much as 12 or 13 degrees depending on where you are in the country. If you are around Chicago for example, they should be very close but out here in Phoenix magnetic and true are 12 degrees different! Good Luck!
    09-22-08 12:14 PM
    Excellent explanation Bruce.

BlackStar uses True North for course/direction.
    09-22-08 12:24 PM
    Pete, are you walking around when the red arrow is pointing south?

It seems to be working for me. (famous last words) A GPS can only calculate where north is by looking at where the GPS is right now and knowing where the GPS was a second ago. So if you are standing still, the GPS really has no clue where north is. That's why my handheld Garmin has a electro/magnetic compass in it. North is not calculated by the satellites on that GPS. By the way, I just went outside and tried BlackStar while walking different directions. Once the compass settled down, the red North arrow is pointing North.

Another way it can be off is due to declination. Paul & Dave - is the GPS using true north coordinates or magnetic north coordinates? If it's using magnetic north that could be off as much as 12 or 13 degrees depending on where you are in the country. If you are around Chicago for example, they should be very close but out here in Phoenix magnetic and true are 12 degrees different! Good Luck!
    I was standing still. If fact the phone was balanced on a wall in my garden (can't get more stationary than that).

I happens that I have drawings done by the local official surveryor that show where the North/South line is and then there's my satellite dish pointing 28 degress west of south + my magnetic Silva compas that I have used for 40+ years for walking.

I KNOW where south really is. I shall now go walkaboput and see if the thing sorts it self out.

If your phone is reading right then I must be doing something wrong and I agree with you. Until it moves, a GPS unit really has no idea of heading. How can it? All it knows is that it's somwhere on a (several) sphere(s).

This will have to wait until tomorrow now but I am sure that when I walk or drive the display will orientate itself correctly.

I'll get back here then.
    09-22-08 12:46 PM
    Wow Pete - I didn't realize you are in Switzerland. That's a long ways from Phoenix Arizona. Maybe your satellites are upside down! lol! Actually it's more likely that ours are upside down. It will be interesting to get your perspective (literally) on this. Hope it works for you.
    09-22-08 01:05 PM
    Wow Pete - I didn't realize you are in Switzerland. That's a long ways from Phoenix Arizona. Maybe your satellites are upside down! lol! Actually it's more likely that ours are upside down. It will be interesting to get your perspective (literally) on this. Hope it works for you.
    Do not panic ! All the satellites are the same way up. After all we are all in the Northern hemisphere, right?

I should really have engaged my brain before I wrote my post. I KNOW how GPS works.

Having taken my phone for a drive round my customers, and I am happy to report that BlackStar (love that name) works perfectly - when you are moving.

So, my bad and I am sorry to have cused confusion.
    09-23-08 02:02 PM
    well then this sorted then
    09-23-08 03:29 PM
    well then this sorted then
    Yes, Paul, absolutely. Sorted.

Now , what about my other two points in my post #207....
    09-23-08 04:43 PM
    This app is really shaping up!

Here is my list of issues I have discovered with version 1.3:

� It's OK with me if it confirms before exiting, but another push of the escape key should then exit (i.e., pushing escape twice exits).

� I like the feature to import waypoints, but when I select my .gpx file to import, nothing happens. Maybe my .gpx file is too big?

� The application icon disappears against a dark home screen. I think it needs a grey outline like the BB fonts have. I have attached a proposed revision to the icon.

� I really like the compass graphic! as I am sure you are aware, it has jagged artifacts around the edges.

� I would like an option to cancel (instead of having to exit the application) if I select "New Waypoint" accidentally.

� Typo: When importing a gpx/loc file, the form title is "Please Selete File:"

� Is anyone concerned that "BlackStar" will likely be abbreviated to "BS"?

Thanks to Paul and David (and everyone else who is helping out) for developing this wonderful software!
    09-23-08 04:57 PM

� Is anyone concerned that "BlackStar" will likely be abbreviated to "BS"?

Thanks to Paul and David (and everyone else who is helping out) for developing this wonderful software!
    I agree. That is to be avoided for sure. I therefore propose that the accepted abbreviation for BlackStar become B*
    09-23-08 05:09 PM
    I agree. That is to be avoided for sure. I therefore propose that the accepted abbreviation for BlackStar become B*

Brilliant idea! I like it.
    09-23-08 06:13 PM
    Nope, never thought about the abbreviation. B* almost has the same connotations as BS, but I like it better.
    09-23-08 08:59 PM
    Here is my take on these issues. Paul may have different opinions.

What a great job guys. BlackStar 1.3 is a grate application.

A coupla things.

this one is a non-issue.
    2. Is there a way to put the rotating compass in the middle of the screen?
    It would look much better there, I feel.
    The downside of this would be that there are two images on the screen. The compass, and the navigation arrow. So if we center one then the other will be off-center.
    But with that said, we are also going to be working on improving the layout, we'll see what pans out of this. We'll take the layout comments to heart and try to make something that looks good and is practical.
    3. Get rid of the 'Are you sure you want to close BlackStar?' Of course I want to clode it. Why else would I select Exit!
    This is just one of my pet rants.
    It may be irritating, but it is a standard. Almost all apps give that.
    Also, when you exit the app, the GPS will get disconnected to conserve battery. This will cause a little lag, maybe a second or two, for the GPS to start up again. This gives you one last chance to avoid that.
    09-23-08 09:24 PM

Here is my list of issues I have discovered with version 1.3:

� It's OK with me if it confirms before exiting, but another push of the escape key should then exit (i.e., pushing escape twice exits).
    Hmm It seems like, logically, a second escape should cancel the exit. How about defaulting to Yes instead of No? Just a suggestion to put out there.
    � I like the feature to import waypoints, but when I select my .gpx file to import, nothing happens. Maybe my .gpx file is too big?
    We are having some problems with larger files. For now, you should try to keep the files to 20 waypoints.
    It does take a little time to load files.
    � The application icon disappears against a dark home screen. I think it needs a grey outline like the BB fonts have. I have attached a proposed revision to the icon.
    Thanks for the image, we can check it out and see how much it improves the visibility.
    � I really like the compass graphic! as I am sure you are aware, it has jagged artifacts around the edges.
    Yeah, that was me. I was taking Bruce's graphics and shrinking them to fit in the current space. Unfortunately, my image editing software is a piece of junk. When I shrank (shrunk? shrinked?) the images, they messed up a little.
    � I would like an option to cancel (instead of having to exit the application) if I select "New Waypoint" accidentally.
    Until the Back option gets added to the menu for that page, you can use the Escape button to back up.
    � Typo: When importing a gpx/loc file, the form title is "Please Selete File:"
    Good Catch
    09-23-08 10:20 PM
    Bob G could you please send me the file you were trying to import so i can investigate.

i agree with cook. Sorry for the spelling mistake will be changed ride away
    09-24-08 04:53 AM
    What a great application - This is my first post here as I have just ordered an 8820 and wanted a GPS application to geotag my photos. I do not like the look of GPSed due to web site use - I tag by using XML files through an excellent program called Geosetter. I can then keep the information in IPTC and EXIf as I catalogue, develop and edit my files. Finally I export to smugmug where they have a Map it! feature that is very nice. Even does track re-creation between photos.

I cannot post URLs because I am new (Funny rule). Look at andrewh.smugmug.com then France and scroll down to postcards. That is an experimental hand tagged gallery.

Not sure if I can write the track where I have been in BlackStar yet - Could not find it except as an idea on about page 8! I would simply like to be able to save current position and UTC time. Once I have these in a file, Geosetter will do the rest.

One other thing - I notice that some people are concerned with accuracy. Have you considered trying to use SISNet (Europe only but probably an equivalent in the US) to get DGPS information via the web. Can get much better accuracy with that. Of course you do need occasional data connection for it to work.

Thanks for all the work guys and I look forward to trying BlackStar very very soon.

Andrew
    09-24-08 09:27 AM
    Here is my take on these issues. Paul may have different opinions.

Quote from "Pete6":
    "3. Get rid of the 'Are you sure you want to close BlackStar?' Of course I want to clode it. Why else would I select Exit!
    This is just one of my pet rants."

It may be irritating, but it is a standard. Almost all apps give that.
    Also, when you exit the app, the GPS will get disconnected to conserve battery. This will cause a little lag, maybe a second or two, for the GPS to start up again. This gives you one last chance to avoid that.
    I respectfully disagree. *All* of the native BlackBerry apps (Browser, Messages, Contacts, Calendar, Media, Doc2Go, etc.) exit with the Escape key. The exception is if you have unsaved changes.

While many 3rd party applications do require confirmation to exit, it is irritating and it is inconsistent with the usability standard that RIM has set. Perhaps these developers are accustomed to Windows Mobile, where it takes about 84 user actions to launch an application and another 36 to close it.

One of the things I like about the Palm OS (and iPhone) is that the Home key forces the current application to immediately exit and returns the user to the home screen. It is part of the "Zen of Palm," where users switch applications quickly and easily on a handheld platform. Holding the Escape key on BB is similar, except when 3rd party applications don't support it.
    09-24-08 12:36 PM
830 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD